2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2024, 03:21:26 PM
Quote from: Sophie Scholl on May 15, 2024, 02:27:00 PMIsn't one of the big issues with modern polling that it is conducted via landlines only which tends to skew toward older and rural folks with those demographics being much redder than the voting population as a whole?

No.

There are faults with polling, but they have not relied on landlines only for years and years.

Proof: I am somehow on a list of people that answers pollsters, so I get calls pretty regularly.  A few years ago we were the Canadian equivalent of Nielson family that tracked our TV viewership.

Anyways - the fact I am regularly called by pollsters, as a middle-aged, middle-class cis-hetero white guy, might reflect a certain bias.

But they only ever call my cell phone.

I'm on a list too, I signed up for it. I've never had a land line of my own.

I'm also a middle-aged middle-class cis-hetero white guy and yet our politics are nothing alike.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jacob on May 15, 2024, 03:02:02 PMBiden v Trump debates reportedly planned on Jun 27 and Sep 10.

And the rules the Biden team insisted on seem to be aimed at neutering Trump's interruptive/off-the-cuff style...e.g. turning off the opposing microphone when it is not their turn...but I am sure nothing will stop Trump from shouting/haranguing without said microphone.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 15, 2024, 07:13:35 PM
Quote from: Sophie Scholl on May 15, 2024, 02:27:00 PMIsn't one of the big issues with modern polling that it is conducted via landlines only which tends to skew toward older and rural folks with those demographics being much redder than the voting population as a whole?

No.

There are faults with polling, but they have not relied on landlines only for years and years.

Proof: I am somehow on a list of people that answers pollsters, so I get calls pretty regularly.  A few years ago we were the Canadian equivalent of Nielson family that tracked our TV viewership.

Anyways - the fact I am regularly called by pollsters, as a middle-aged, middle-class cis-hetero white guy, might reflect a certain bias.

I'm also a middle-aged middle-class cis-hetero white guy and yet our politics are nothing alike.

But Sophie's point is a good one, pollsters used to be able to get more randomized samples by using phone books, now people have to opt in in some way so there is more is a selection bias.

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on Today at 02:06:08 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 15, 2024, 07:13:35 PM

No.

But Sophie's point is a good one, pollsters used to be able to get more randomized samples by using phone books, now people have to opt in in some way so there is more is a selection bias.

There is, and it is a potential problem.
But with top scale stuff they usually have a decent enough understanding of that to control for it. They understand based on someone's criteria precisely how likely they are to reply so will reach out to more busy 30-somethings than is statistically necessary to make sure they cover that group and don't just get unemployed groups.

Though I do get vibes with this political stuff in particular the selection bias is a very active one of people consciously seeking out these polls to try and play a role in shifting the discourse.

Worth remembering on polls as much as they're criticised for always being wrong et al- Trump's win was well within the margin of error.
██████
██████
██████