News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Monoriu, February 25, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on Today at 10:18:58 AMI should check out Bastard on Netflix. Supposedly it's a lot closer to the manga than the 90s anime. And how can you not love an anime where most characters are named for 70s/80s metal bands and musicians. :P

Interesting, thanks.  :)

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on Today at 10:24:28 AM
Quote from: Syt on Today at 10:18:58 AMI should check out Bastard on Netflix. Supposedly it's a lot closer to the manga than the 90s anime. And how can you not love an anime where most characters are named for 70s/80s metal bands and musicians. :P

Interesting, thanks.  :)

I mean (as one example):

https://bastard.fandom.com/wiki/De_Purple

QuoteDe Purple is the original kingdom from which the royal lines of Metallicana, Judas, Whytos Neiki, and Iron Maiden, descend from. Once a prosperous nation, De Purple was destroyed 50 years before the start of the series by Lich in retaliation for Dark Schneider using the Megadeth spell in his dungeon.

Dark Schneider is named after Udo Dirkschneider, obviously :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on Today at 10:18:58 AMI'm generally disposed negatively towards isekai ... and it's so ubiquitous. Never liked "person from ordinary world travels to the past/future/fantasy realms/other dimensions" stories ever since I was a kid. When I was reading manga a lot in the late 90s, I loved fantasy ones - Berserk, Record of Lodoss War, Slayers, Bastard, ... Frieren made me realize how much I'm missing those :D

I should check out Bastard on Netflix. Supposedly it's a lot closer to the manga than the 90s anime. And how can you not love an anime where most characters are named for 70s/80s metal bands and musicians. :P

There's a lot of landfill isekai with the same old plot of standard loser Japanese kid is suddenly the most powerful person in a fantasy world and then everyone claps.
Some interesting ones out there though with different slants that are actually enjoyable.

Mushoku Tensei as mentioned is real isekai but a real good example where after the first few episodes the isekai element isn't massively important- main character starts from being a little kid and is a pervert, though he gets over it, grows as a person, and so on.
Re-Zero is another well known one. Where yeah its isekai but the main plot point is more the way the main character relives the day if he dies. First series good, second....less so.
Paripi Koumei is brilliant, general from the 3 kingdoms era comes to modern Tokyo where he becomes a singer's manager and uses military strategy to push forward her career.
Oshi no ko is one of the best shows of the decade - guy is reincarnated as the kid of his favourite idol... Then dedicates his life to solving her murder, providing a great observation of the Japanese medias underbelly.

It does seem the fad is waning and we're now heading into a "Post isekai"  phase where theres a lot of real fantasy shows with isekai elements, or are set in the real world or just have the isekai as a framer but its quickly dropped.

Attack on Titan has been a very popular show in recent years. It counts as a proper fantasy right?
I've heard good things of Merchant and Wolf too and apparently Dungeon Meshi gets good beyond the first few episodes- I watched the first one and felt it was a crappy episodic Japanese food obsession show.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Well, it is called Bastard!! Heavy Metal, Dark Fantasy
 :P