News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on May 21, 2024, 04:04:56 PMhttps://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/21/mauricio-pochettino-leaves-chelsea-by-mutual-agreement-after-one-season

Gawd, just as I was warming to the guy. Seems like he wanted to be a more traditional manager while the leadership wants somebody who just takes whatever they buy for him and wins the PL that way.

I am afraid they still want to manage Chelsea like it's a baseball team.

This is a big problem across the game lately.
Teams increasingly moving towards a sporting director and head coach model whilst the top managers obviously want to be full traditional managers.
Sunderland lost their decent ex coach in this way, replacing him with a guy who was apparently top class as an actual training ground coach but crap for game management. Lasted less than 3 months.
I suspect it's why we are struggling to get someone new.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I mean yes and no. Poch and Potter and Tuchel all have experience of that model.

Who is Chelsea's sporting director? Looking at all the players they've signed I'm also not fully sure what they want/are working towards. I think in that situation it makes sense for the manager to try and create some sort of coherence.
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

It depends on the individuals though. Managers demanding specific players at over-market pirces without any regard to residual values are super risky to the financial stability of a club.