Started by jimmy olsen, March 22, 2011, 03:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2011, 05:28:23 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2011, 03:34:15 AM
The case has made history in Israe
:huh:

Were the reporter's services: no longer needed? :menace:
Maybe he suffered a heart attack while writing it.

DGuller

Slargos

It came to me that perhaps a lot of these flame-fests could be avoided if we simply invented new terms to describe and differentiate violent assault-rape and the more insidious coercion-rape.  :hmm:

Habbaku

[Palestinetard]When will the Israeli nation get sentenced for its rape of Palestine?[/Palestinetard]
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Slargos

Quote from: Habbaku on March 22, 2011, 02:18:16 PM
[Palestinetard]When will the Israeli nation get sentenced for its rape of Palestine?[/Palestinetard]

Was it a rape-rape, or did she simply regret it afterwards?  :hmm:

dps

Quote from: Martinus on March 22, 2011, 07:31:28 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 22, 2011, 06:34:39 AM
So you and Marty would be willing to spend several hours of your day with somebody who had raped you? I just can't fathom that. Obviously most people don't quit jobs as readily as I do, but still...

I hope you are trolling. Seriously. Rape in professional relationships does not need to involve physical coercion. And the reason why it doesn't is that the victim actually needs her job and as a result can be succesfully coerced/blackmailed into sex without violence (or threats of violence) being involved - so that explains why she doesn't quit her job immediately after being raped. I thought this is a pretty obvious and universally known fact - that's why I called you a retard - because this seems so blatantly obvious to me.  :huh:

That's not rape, that's sexual harassment.

Barrister

Quote from: dps on March 22, 2011, 02:20:59 PM
So you and Marty would be willing to spend several hours of your day with somebody who had raped you? I just can't fathom that. Obviously most people don't quit jobs as readily as I do, but still...

I hope you are trolling. Seriously. Rape in professional relationships does not need to involve physical coercion. And the reason why it doesn't is that the victim actually needs her job and as a result can be succesfully coerced/blackmailed into sex without violence (or threats of violence) being involved - so that explains why she doesn't quit her job immediately after being raped. I thought this is a pretty obvious and universally known fact - that's why I called you a retard - because this seems so blatantly obvious to me.  :huh:

It is rape (or  rather, sexual assault).

Take, for example, R v Matheson (1999) 134 CCC (3d) 289 (Ont C.A.):

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onca/doc/1999/1999canlii3719/1999canlii3719.html

A doctor was convicted of sexual assault on two patients of his, on the basis that consent was only obtained by his exercise of authority.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

in the old days it was called a womans way of getting ahead (and a bosses way of getting head ba-dum pa)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on March 22, 2011, 02:20:59 PM

As BB said you are wrong. Sexual harassment would be just a boss making a proposal to an underling. If you coerce someone, through your power in the organization, to have sex for you or e.g. they will get fired, that's rape (or a rape "equivalent", in the same way a statutory "rape" is not actually a rape but is considered to be just as bad).

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on March 22, 2011, 02:30:25 PM

A doctor was convicted of sexual assault on two patients of his, on the basis that consent was only obtained by his exercise of authority.
Dude was a shrink.  Using Jedi mind tricks to lay pipe is like slipping a roofy.  Nothing like the Israeli case.

Malthus

Heh, seems like Israel is not the place to push the line in terms of sexual misbehaviour.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2011, 05:42:11 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 22, 2011, 02:30:25 PM

Dude was a shrink.  Using Jedi mind tricks to lay pipe is like slipping a roofy.  Nothing like the Israeli case.

Meh - perhaps.

But I'll just cite s. 273.1(2)(d) of the Criminal Code which says "No consent is obtained, for the purposes of sections 271, 272, and 273 [sexual assault, sexual assault CBH, or aggravated sexual assault] where... the accused induces the complainant to engage in the activity by abusing a position of trust, power or authority".

Your boss telling you 'sleep with me or I'll fire you' is sexual assault.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2011, 05:58:12 PM
Like Clinton? :)

Well Lewinsky never said she didn't want to engage in sex, so no, not like Clinton.   :)

Admiral Yi

But if in a couple years she does complain, then it's sexual assault, right? :)

More seriously, I've never heard this kind of thing called sexual assault in the US and would be very surprised if I ever did.  I suppose the rest of you are free to call it whatever you want.