News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fucking South

Started by CountDeMoney, March 22, 2011, 03:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Maximus on March 23, 2011, 12:16:56 PM
Fucking south is one of my favourite sexual orientations.
:hmm: Diagram plz?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: JonasSalk on March 23, 2011, 10:18:25 AM
This isn't to say a lot of American white people don't have American Indian ancestry--genetic tests say about 1/4th or so do--just that a lot of people declare it for various reason to seem "cool" for whatever reason.

I'd be interested to know why there is a coolness factor in inflating whatever Indian ancestry you may or may not have.  I wouldn't look down on someone for having some Indian ancestry & I wouldn't be ashamed of it if I had some, but I also wouldn't particularly derive any pride from it, either.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

JonasSalk

It makes them seem "different," less European and more American.  They get to claim victimhood, claim ancestry, and through that claim sympathy with the poor, poor Worst Nations and their reservations.  It comes up in casual conversation all the time.  "What kind of name is that?"  "Oh, it's Scottish, but my grandmother [it's almost never a male, for some reason] was full-blooded [this part is said with a particular ounce of pride] Cherokee."

I guess saying your great-great-grandmother was a half-breed Indian squaw whose mother was raped by a white man doesn't quite have the "cool" factor to it.
Yuman

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2011, 12:39:11 PM
Quote from: JonasSalk on March 23, 2011, 10:18:25 AM
This isn't to say a lot of American white people don't have American Indian ancestry--genetic tests say about 1/4th or so do--just that a lot of people declare it for various reason to seem "cool" for whatever reason.

I'd be interested to know why there is a coolness factor in inflating whatever Indian ancestry you may or may not have.  I wouldn't look down on someone for having some Indian ancestry & I wouldn't be ashamed of it if I had some, but I also wouldn't particularly derive any pride from it, either.

Well up here, where native ancestry is going to be more direct than 'my grandmother was on eighth Cherokee' people who look very white to me are very quick to say they have Status and are Native.  They don't break it down to being 1/8 or whatever - it's kind of a one drop rule I guess.

But you have to remember Indian Status can come with certain benefits...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

JonasSalk

Exactly.  Some people claim it so they can get a handout.
Yuman

derspiess

Quote from: JonasSalk on March 23, 2011, 12:54:55 PM
It makes them seem "different," less European and more American.  They get to claim victimhood, claim ancestry, and through that claim sympathy with the poor, poor Worst Nations and their reservations.  It comes up in casual conversation all the time.  "What kind of name is that?"  "Oh, it's Scottish, but my grandmother [it's almost never a male, for some reason] was full-blooded [this part is said with a particular ounce of pride] Cherokee."

I guess saying your great-great-grandmother was a half-breed Indian squaw whose mother was raped by a white man doesn't quite have the "cool" factor to it.

Good point-- it does always seem to be a grandmother.  Just about everyone I knew in West Virginia claimed some sort of Indian heritage-- usually Shawnee or Blackfoot in addition to Cherokee.  Particularly for those who were even paler than I was, I wondered why they thought it had any impact on their own lives, assuming it was even true.

I just never got the temptation to claim any kind of Indian heritage, but I guess Indian culture never quite appealed to me the way it does to others.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2011, 03:58:02 PM

Good point-- it does always seem to be a grandmother.  Just about everyone I knew in West Virginia claimed some sort of Indian heritage-- usually Shawnee or Blackfoot in addition to Cherokee.  Particularly for those who were even paler than I was, I wondered why they thought it had any impact on their own lives, assuming it was even true.

Odd, I didn't know but a few people there who claimed Indian ancestory.  One of the few is the woman who married my mom's youngest brother, but she's from eastern Tennessee (which is a pretty good place to be from if you want to claim Cherokee ancestory), not WV.  And she definately isn't light-skinned--she has a quite dark complexion.  My mom thinks that her family doesn't actually have Cherokee blood, but rather has some black ancestory.  Personally, I met both of my aunt's parents, and I'll buy that her father was half-Cherokee.  But if you're looking for a reason for people to falsely claim Indian ancestory, there's one--some would rather claim to be Native American than black.

As for why it's almost always claimed through a grandmother, rather than a grandfather, think about it.  A white man back in the day could marry an Indian woman without causing too much trouble for himself, but an Indian man marrying a white woman?  Almost as likely to get himself lynched as a black man marrying a white woman.

CountDeMoney

I couldn't find a single "Benjamin Butler 4 Mayor" t-shirt down there.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 23, 2011, 08:33:09 PM
I couldn't find a single "Benjamin Butler 4 Mayor" t-shirt down there.
Pity.  I grew up in his home town and believe he could have saved Reconstruction.
PDH!

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2011, 03:58:02 PM

I just never got the temptation to claim any kind of Indian heritage, but I guess Indian culture never quite appealed to me the way it does to others.

Way back when it was quasi-acceptable for a man to take a native wife/mistress/country-wife, but of course you had to protect the white women-folk...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on March 23, 2011, 07:45:11 AM
White supremacy Tim is odd.
:rolleyes:
Just bitching about the Census. Hispanic is a bullshit statistic that throws together 20 different nationalities, at least 3 different races, and dozens of elasticities.  It's completely misrepresents who the Spanish speaking people (and their descendants) of the US are. 

By the way, my the grandmother of my Quebecois grandfather was full blooded Huron. My mother saw her when she was young and ''she had hair like silk''.  My father's a bit darker than me and his father was a bit darker then him so I assume there's some native or maybe even some African blood in that line a few generations further back.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 23, 2011, 11:14:25 PM
throws together 20 different nationalities
Which of course never happens with other "race" options.

at least 3 different races
Can't really find the energy to be bent out of shape over arbitrarily defined "race" categories.

and dozens of elasticities.
Now you've lost me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Good luck getting coherent argument out of Ortiz.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Quote from: dps on March 23, 2011, 06:13:14 PM
Odd, I didn't know but a few people there who claimed Indian ancestory.  One of the few is the woman who married my mom's youngest brother, but she's from eastern Tennessee (which is a pretty good place to be from if you want to claim Cherokee ancestory), not WV.  And she definately isn't light-skinned--she has a quite dark complexion.  My mom thinks that her family doesn't actually have Cherokee blood, but rather has some black ancestory.  Personally, I met both of my aunt's parents, and I'll buy that her father was half-Cherokee.  But if you're looking for a reason for people to falsely claim Indian ancestory, there's one--some would rather claim to be Native American than black.
I believe there is something to this, and in fact have made jokes that Princesca's great grandmother really belonged to the Mandingo tribe. :cool:

In her case, her nose is most certainly not 'European'... much too flat.  But it could be a reflection of hidden African ancestry.

In any event, if I were her, I'd be proud either way, since it's neat to be multi-racial.  Hybrid vigor FTW. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

I'm sure there is a drop of injun blood in me, as my ancestors really liked to fuck indians in Tennessee. Literall. Not trade 1 bead for a swath of land, I mean poundtown.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive