News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

That has been around for several patches at least. Wasn't it even in the 1.0 release?

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on February 12, 2013, 12:18:01 PM
That has been around for several patches at least. Wasn't it even in the 1.0 release?

If it was I have been very unlucky in battle as far as capturing the opposing leader.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Don't think so... I know I'd done that before and I didn't get an automatic 100% war score.  It's possible I killed Godwinson instead of capturing him though I guess.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maximus

I'm pretty sure that's been there since 1.0 as has the limited war goals. You just have to be very lucky to capture a particular person in battle.

The war goal's value is based on how long the war has been going on. So if you capture it right away it may not be 100%, but it will get there eventually even if you only defend from then on.

Caliga

I was playing as the d'Hautevilles last night.  First time I'd tried them since CK1.  It's impressive what you can do with a 400-man army if you have the right friends. :showoff:

So far, I've taken Naples and defeated a rebellion by the Count of Taranto.  The Sicilian Muslims attacked me but I got a little help from my friends Croatia, England, and the Pope and beat them back.  During this war some other Emirate conquered Salerno, so naturally that's my next target.

garbon

That's because if you capture the enemy ruler, your warscore immediately shoots up to 100%.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Grallon on February 12, 2013, 09:56:20 AM
Quote from: Caliga on February 11, 2013, 07:48:10 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 11, 2013, 01:26:35 PM
What are the new limited goal wars?
That sounds like one of the features they are planning on including in EU4, but I wasn't aware that it was in CK2. :hmm:

Whatever it's called in CKII it is present - if you declare war over a claim on this county - once you have occupied it the AI goes to 100% and he will accept your terms.

G.

I'm not sure about that. If I've declared war on a big realm with dozens of counties, and I am warring over a claim on a single county, that single county will give me a big war score bonus larger than capturing any other individual county, but I've never seen it jump the war score to 100% unless I'm warring against a small holding Duke. I've even had games in the most recent patch where I'm claiming a whole duchy, and capturing all holdings in that duchy gives me a high war score, but certainly not 100%, and I'll have to capture a few more counties to win the war.

Viking

there is also a progressive score you get for holding the target, I don't think there is an upper limit here, but it ticks up in increments of 5% for holding the land in question.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on February 12, 2013, 03:55:30 PM
there is also a progressive score you get for holding the target, I don't think there is an upper limit here, but it ticks up in increments of 5% for holding the land in question.

Yeah same if you are attacking.  If you cannot take it eventually the  war score becomes -100%
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

The limited war goals thing takes time. If you war for a single county against a big realm and hold that county for some time, the warscore from that one county will eventually rise all the way to 100%. That also works for the crusades. You just need to conquer Jerusalem and hold it for a year or two and will get a 100% warscore from that. It works defensively as well. If you are attacked for one of your counties, holding that for a long time will also increase your warscore to 100%.

Edit: Heh, Viking and Valmy were faster.  :Embarrass:

Martinus

Also, if you win a major battle in which you destroy the enemy army, you not only get war score for this, but the AI often will surrender at 50% or 60% warscore, simply because it does not have manpower to fight you any more.

In my game as Byzantium, when fighting against HRE, it is often enough to conquer whatever Duchy I am capturing, and then meet the HRE doomstack in a pitched battle, for the HRE to surrender.

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, I've seen that a lot with the enemy army, if you wipe it out in a big battle they'll often surrender. I had never noticed the thing where if you hold a county you're fighting over you steadily gain warscore just for holding it. I play a lot of games where I'm fighting against big powers, so normally I'm trying to capture multiple provinces quickly to force peace, because I don't want to deal with some of the large doom stacks guys like HRE or etc can bring to bear and sometimes you have to do a quick land grab and try to do assaults in some of your sieges to make that happen. I can see where that'd be useful in wars between two dukes though, as sometimes after one big battle if you have a county captured neither of you is able to even levy enough troops after that to end things more decisively.

Caliga

One thing I'm embarassed to admit I still don't really get about the game is how levies work. :blush:

So, if I go to war and call all my levies up, it seems like I will never get any reinforcements for them during the war, ever (I do understand the concept of retinues and use them where possible).  If I'm at war and dismiss one of my levy formations, will it go home and reinforce, and can I then bring it back into the fold to continue fighting if I give it time to 'recharge'?  I'm usually too poor to afford to hire mercenaries, but I have occasionally used them when I can afford it and my manpower seems to be exhausted.  But I often wonder if I could somehow be better at levy management.

Razgovory

Levies get reinforcements, but slowly so it's not really worth it.  Better to disband them and call them back up a few months down the line.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

I dont really disband leveis during wars. One thing to remember is to always disband in a friendly territory as otherwise you lose half of them.