News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I'm enjoying the game giving myself 'found cash'. I like hiring 20k mercs and crushing Muslims with them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on February 09, 2013, 02:57:57 PMFeudalism works for Christian Europe in 867 for the most part, since it was late Roman invention.  No idea about how the pagans ran things.
Not really. Most of that period had extensive peasant liberties, for example, which weren't eroded into a feudal system until much later. Feudalism is developing in the ninth century, in certain places especially in France, but it's nowhere near the major system in most of Christian Europe.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 09, 2013, 09:58:01 PM
I'm enjoying the game giving myself 'found cash'. I like hiring 20k mercs and crushing Muslims with them.

My Byzantine Emperors regularly find 5000 gold in the sofa.  :blush:

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2013, 04:43:21 AM

I tried being emperor and found that the varang guard with it's ultra cheap upkeep compared to similar mercs along with my pure cataphract retinue is more than enough to beat 9 out of 10 potential opponents.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 10, 2013, 12:55:37 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 09, 2013, 02:57:57 PMFeudalism works for Christian Europe in 867 for the most part, since it was late Roman invention.  No idea about how the pagans ran things.
Not really. Most of that period had extensive peasant liberties, for example, which weren't eroded into a feudal system until much later. Feudalism is developing in the ninth century, in certain places especially in France, but it's nowhere near the major system in most of Christian Europe.

Well, France and Germany was Western Christendom at the time.  I think you are thinking about England which was still fairly Scandinavian.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 10, 2013, 12:55:37 AM

I'm not sure what you're saying contradicts what we're saying. Feudalism can exist along side peasant liberties, feudalism is just a system by which land owners have right to control over certain lands (typically hereditary), and themselves have higher ranking masters to whom they owe either tribute or levies of men in war time. This hierarchical system can go several layers deep or only one or two, but that's feudalism either way.

Seignorialism is more the manor economy, serfs bound to the land type stuff that you seem to be asserting as equivalent to feudalism.

While I wouldn't say the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms prior to the later more unified Anglo-Saxon England (basically kingdoms of Wessex, Murcia, East Anglia, and Northumbria) were typified by the same sort of Feudalism as the Carolingian Kingdoms and associated continental European states, they did have something pretty similar that is for gaming purposes probably accurately enough modeled by the base system in CK2. Anglo-Saxon English who were freemen were expected to fight, and this was basically all adult males other than persons enslaved (as Anglo-Saxons like most semi-tribal peoples took slaves in battle), and a reward for fighting was often grants of land from the ruler. Hume probably accurately says these early Anglo-Saxon kings should be thought of more as "chiefs", and I'd agree with that, but there were lower ranking chiefs they might call thegns or eorls and you can model that onto the extant feudal system in CK2.

I think if you care at all about accuracy, like I said you need to lock it at autonomous vassals until a certain date, with a few select states being allowed to start differently.

To me the biggest problem is there isn't a good inheritance law in the current game, because I don't think any of the Northern European states had a strong "primogeniture" type culture. Basically the most powerful guy took over when the old chief died, that might often be his son, if the old chief took actions to increase the son's prestige and the son used his father's influence to build his own base of power, but weak sons regularly did not inherit.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2013, 04:43:21 AM

It's pretty easy to build a base of power with 1066 Byzantium such that you're unbeatable in war by the early 1100s without cheating, but what I've found is if the Fatimids get really aggressive early on you either need to do what you say here and buy a bunch of mercenaries or you have to accept a much reduced power that is hard to recover from because the Fatimids are so strong. The Seljuks are powerful too but with properly organized armies I can usually stop them from taking any of my land early game, but it can be hard to get land from them. The Seljuks are great because they are so intrinsically unstable, the first Sultan they have that dies and you can pick off some of their vassals because they start having constant and massive civil wars. The Fatimids when they do decide to attack early (which doesn't always happen to me), seem to work with very large "doom stacks" (relative to army size in the early game) that are nigh-impossible to handle without lots of mercenaries.

Grallon

Is it possible to turn into a republic after starting as a feudal lord?  Other than by editing the savegame?  Or reloading as another character?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

OttoVonBismarck

I don't think so, as a Patrician you can convert yourself into a feudal lord but I don't think you can convert from noble to patrician, and I don't think your character can rule a merchant republic or even have a family house and all that unless they're from a patrician family...and there is no way to acquire that trait...I don't think?

Razgovory

Yeah, the Fatamids need to be nerfed a bit.  They were a pretty corrupt and useless at the time.  I would love to see a mechanic with Muslims dealing with the conflict between tribal levies and their chiefsand regular army slave-soldiers and their officers.  Hell the whole slavery issue is simply bypassed in the game.  Slavery wasn't that important in Western Europe at the time, but it was major political and economic factor for the Muslim world.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 10, 2013, 07:59:48 PM
I don't think so, as a Patrician you can convert yourself into a feudal lord but I don't think you can convert from noble to patrician, and I don't think your character can rule a merchant republic or even have a family house and all that unless they're from a patrician family...and there is no way to acquire that trait...I don't think?

The issue is that the game will temporarily mark you as a lord mayor and thus you'll get booted to end game screen.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

This is an interesting define that Wiz worked to pull out now that he's at p'dox"
QuoteALLOW_DE_JURE_ASSIMILATION_ANYWHERE = 1,   -- If set to 0, will only assimilate duchy titles which contain the assimilating Kingdom's capital or border existing de jure land of that title
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2013, 08:51:11 PM
Yeah, the Fatamids need to be nerfed a bit.  They were a pretty corrupt and useless at the time.  I would love to see a mechanic with Muslims dealing with the conflict between tribal levies and their chiefsand regular army slave-soldiers and their officers.  Hell the whole slavery issue is simply bypassed in the game.  Slavery wasn't that important in Western Europe at the time, but it was major political and economic factor for the Muslim world.

They need to change the current corruption mechanism so that the corruption-generated invasion does not result in the whole realm being conquered by a new dynasty, but rather partitioned into warring emirates. This would be a simple elegant and effective way of dealing with the Muslim blobs.

Grallon

What are the prerequisites to reform the *true* Roman Empire?  Must the HRE be eliminated completely?  When I look at the de Jure empire filter I only see Byzantium and the HRE.  I have the DLC.

I restarted as Matilda di Canossa and in the course of her 60 year long reign (yeah I gave her 7.5 health and plenty of money to test run the new mechanics) I unified Lombardy.  It was pretty easy with the new limited goal wars - the AI folds as soon as you occupy whatever your goal is.  Without the extra money of course I couldn't have kept the several mercenary companies as a standing army - nor bribe everyone's obediance - thus avoiding the faction upheavals.  Now her grandsons has succedded her and I'd like to rebuild Rome.

Also did Paradox *ever* released a modding manual?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Martinus

Hover over the decision to recreate the Roman empire - essentially, you need to own all de jure provinces of Byzantium plus some additional in Italy (I think).

Only Byzantium can recreate the Roman empire by the way so it can't be done as Tuscany.