Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2013, 10:17:12 AM
Quote from: PDH on January 31, 2013, 10:14:13 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2013, 10:12:41 AM
As I said on p'dox forum, CK2 is mostly about the nobility.

Yeah, but given that the Khazars just evaporated after Kiev came through, even that nobility was not too firm in their culture.

Lots of nations evaporated when they go their asses kicked, especially Turkic Steppe ones.  I am not sure that is an indication of the flimsyness of their culture.

Part of my point is that they likely didn't have a Jewish culture (despite the one Muslim source that says they were all Jews).  Instead they have been given everything from firm Judaism to their religion being a sham, culturally everything from settled feudalists to nomads with a few cities by different people who often were just dreaming about what they wanted to see.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2013, 10:20:46 AM
Different note but England should be fun, no HRE and Byzantine toe-holds in Italy!

I want to start in 960 and play Basil the Bulgar Slayer.  A wild and mixed England should also be good.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: PDH on January 31, 2013, 10:23:30 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2013, 10:20:46 AM
Different note but England should be fun, no HRE and Byzantine toe-holds in Italy!

I want to start in 960 and play Basil the Bulgar Slayer.  A wild and mixed England should also be good.

Of course, you won't be able as they are only make one bookmark in 867 and then next startdate you can input is 1066. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

I don't care much for the new start date. Info on that times must be sketchy at best, especially on the count level.

But I like the idea of buffing pagans during the normal timeframe, as well as adventurers (if limited enough), and rebels with a cause.

garbon

I'm not sure that'll be a problem as in CK2, don't county levels get auto-generated if there isn't a historical character programmed in?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

well yeah.

But anyways, I suspect this will be an almost Aztec-level ahistoric hillarity fest.

Think about it, to do it properly is almost to recreate the original efforts put in the game. The Schism? Didn't the big-ass Muslim empire just started to fall apart, if at all? Hungarians??!!!

garbon

I totally agree and that's why I stated earlier that I hoped they wouldn't do this.

On Schism, I'm wondering if they won't just have catholicism and orthodox explicitly split as representative of the fact that the two churches had already been drifting apart.

Queequeg

IDK how Byzantium and the Abbasids are going to be modeled.  Neither government had anything vaguely resembling feudalism.  You'd probably have to make the themes vassal republics. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

How are they going to do the Norse rejiggering of local cultures?  Something like English?  So maybe you'd have generic "East Slavs" who become Russians only after Varangian subjugation, same with the Normans.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

More griping about factions

I can't join a faction-war to place me on the throne on the grounds that I'm already at war with the plotters while every AI character can join a faction after the war starts. That's just wrong. To add insult to injury I got mamed while leading royal forces fighting to imprison myself while the revolters spent the entire revolt besieging my demesne.

I am waiting for a new patch and am disabling the feature.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on January 31, 2013, 10:22:09 AM
Part of my point is that they likely didn't have a Jewish culture (despite the one Muslim source that says they were all Jews).

Nah they would definitely have a Turkish culture of some sort.  And I get we have few sources this is the Dark Ages and in the Eurasian steppe at that.

QuoteInstead they have been given everything from firm Judaism to their religion being a sham, culturally everything from settled feudalists to nomads with a few cities by different people who often were just dreaming about what they wanted to see.

The area they live in suggests they probably had both right?  Townish things on the rivers but mostly a pastoral thing going on.  What sources suggest their religion was a 'sham'?  That would be odd for the era.  I just presumed they were typical for their cultural group, the leadership had a certain religion but Turkish people tended to allow for alot of latitude so I am sure the Khazar people had lots of religions.  That seems reasonable given the time, the location, and the kind of people involved.

Anyway I was not being totally serious about the Khazar thing.

I would have preferred Paradox had focussed on the pagans present in 1066-1453 since they are so badly done as it is right now.  It took centuries to drive them out of the Baltic but when I play the land grab is all but over before 1100.  As Denmark it is always a panicked rush to expand before super Poland and Norway form.  Starting at 867 seems ridiculous and probably will result in the Abbasids being the Fatimids on steroids and overrunning the world...but we shall see.

It is kind of nice for the Byzantine players to get the glory days of the Empire in the game I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2013, 10:29:52 AM
Of course, you won't be able as they are only make one bookmark in 867 and then next startdate you can input is 1066. :contract:

Yeah that sucks.  Let's face it this is mostly about Swedes wanting to be Vikings :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Nono, the "sham" part is modern(ish) histories with an ax to grind.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Phillip V

Quote from: Martinus on January 31, 2013, 08:35:21 AM
Rebels with a Cause: Rebels are no longer a faceless menace – they are now led by characters with agendas.
William Wallace?

Solmyr

I hope they at least leave in the option to create other bookmarks between 867 and 1066. It shouldn't be that hard to code in the missing info, many dynasties already go back that far.