News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: PDH on January 29, 2013, 11:20:57 AM
All the ethnic stuff is imagined anyway.  I have no problem with Tamas denying his Gypsy background and instead pretending to be a Mongol.

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

"All" is a bit of an overstatement, no?  Different ethnic groups have varying levels of intermarriage.

Razgovory

I'm not getting why everyone is on him about identifying with the Magyars.  I thought that was accepted term for the Ugric speaking peoples who raided Europe in the dark age before settling in what is now Hungary.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: Tamas on January 29, 2013, 03:49:54 AM
no shit.

Of our extended finno-ugric family, we and the Finns moved out of what is usually Russia. The rest stayed.

Can you tell who they are? Of course you can't, and it is no coincidence.
I can name the biggest groups. There are a lot.

TBH I don't use "we" for Indo-Europeans, soI wouldn't use "we" if I was Hungarian. I might use it for Anglo-Saxon, but I think I look more Saxon than you look Moksha. Nature of Steppe peoples to assimilate and be assimilated.

It's personal preference, though, not exactly wrong.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Tamas

Indo-Europeans made the same level of group as Hungarians :bleeding:

srsly people stop trolling

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on January 29, 2013, 02:28:00 PM
I might use it for Anglo-Saxon, but I think I look more Saxon than you look Moksha.

First, why the hell do you think you look more Anglo-Saxon than tamas does Moksha?  How the hell do you know what an Anglo-Saxon looked like?

Second, Angles and Saxons intermarried like motherfuckers with Romano-Britons.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2013, 02:47:59 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 29, 2013, 02:28:00 PM
I might use it for Anglo-Saxon, but I think I look more Saxon than you look Moksha.

First, why the hell do you think you look more Anglo-Saxon than tamas does Moksha?  How the hell do you know what an Anglo-Saxon looked like?

Second, Angles and Saxons intermarried like motherfuckers with Romano-Britons.

I have no idea what a Moksha would look like in the dark ages.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

I don't even know what a Moshka is, but I still think it was a damn fine speech.

Tamas

The fuck is Moshka?

And frankly, to have Americans argue GENETIC HERITAGE... jesus.

Not to mention that I never mentioned it. Find it where I said "I can call myself Hungarian because I have Hungarian genes lololol" YES the Magyars of the 7th century has next to nothing to do genetically with the magyars of the 20th century, this was actually researched. The South Ural genome is like 2% present in Hungarians today. Big fucking hoo. I am still the descendant of those people (and a dozen other people, just like 99% of you pure bloods), and much more importantly:
-I speak their language
-my culture is what evolved out of theirs
-I live where they and their descendants lived for more than a thousand years
-I consider myself Hungarian

And this ends this fucking retard troll debate here for me. I mean seriously, I really like Psellus, but to come here, put my national heritage up for debate right off the bat, then declare that he is more Saxon than Anglo just takes the cake.

Admiral Yi

A dude this hot headed and short tempered must be Hungarian.  :)

Viking

summint ain't quite right... now, King Raoul of England (obviously the plan to breed an english or norman king of england failed) keeps getting revolts after taking the throne when the usual band of suspects (Duke of Hereford, Countess of Leicster, Duke of Norfolk) send me a letter demanding that some nobody should be made king of england. Usually this lambert simnell wanna be is less than ideal. They were as follows

1 - a captive crusader stuck in a saracen prison
2 - a saxon courtier
3 - a prisoner in my dungeon

In each case the pretender died pretty quickly (very quickly in the third case) and the revolt ended. All my nobles got the +25 relation for major revolt crushed and +25 for being pardoned revolters (not being allowed to execute revolters when the revolt fails just doens't seem right)

This happened three times in three years. This is factions supporting pretenders obviously. What concerns me is that something other than the viability of the candidate viz the guys in the dark hole of cairo and the oubliette in rouen or the complete lack of effect of crushing the revolt.

I don't like factions and I don't like plots for the simple reason that everybody has to join some faction or some plot and the plots are always kill somebody or lower crown authority and factions are always replace the king with random person.

In my first playthrough with 1.09 and the dlc as normandie england was reduced to a single county patchwork by repeated revolts - usually by the same faction which put the new king in power - which my two county bohemoth was able to gobble up and eventually form england - needed a Grand Duke capable of living long enough.

I'm frustrated and annoyd and I am no n00b who doesn't get the game mechanics.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

Quote from: Tamas on January 29, 2013, 02:35:18 PM
Indo-Europeans made the same level of group as Hungarians :bleeding:

srsly people stop trolling
You didn't get what I meant. 

My language and to a certain extent my ancestry reflects Indo-European roots.  But I've never sacrificed a horse, and I've never ridden a chariot, and the thought of ritual pederasty makes me feel sick.  That was so long ago that I don't consider myself to be any kind of meaningful member of that group. 

Similarly, the Hungarians in the 900s were so different from the rest of the Uralic peoples that most of their ancestry and material culture was shared with the other inhabitants of the Khazar Khaganate rather than with the Mordvins.  By the time of the Mongol invasion, the "On Gar" drank wine, ruled from castles and charged the Mongol lines like any other Central European people, rather than the other few survivors of the Khazar period. 

Everyone in the greater Balkans is somehow the inheritor of some great conquering people-the Romanians are Romans, the Bosnians and Turks are Ottomans, the Greek are unchanged from the time of Alexander, etc.....it's generally used as an assertion of superiority.  It annoys me.

Also, I think you're looking at some of this from the wrong perspective.  The Crimea and Southern Ukraine would have been near-perfect land for the contemporary Magyars.  Leaving it for Hungary, even if it means today that their descendants are better off, would have been difficult. 

EDIT: Tamas, I bet the 2% is wrong.  Most Mordvins aren't genetically the same as the far-off Khanty, and it's not really right to think of the Khanty as more authentically Uralic just because they look more like the Samoyeds. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Maximus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 29, 2013, 02:00:21 PM
I'm not getting why everyone is on him about identifying with the Magyars.  I thought that was accepted term for the Ugric speaking peoples who raided Europe in the dark age before settling in what is now Hungary.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't care who he or anyone else identifies with. I was just saying using "we" to refer to a group you weren't a part of is incorrect.

The Minsky Moment

Hungary has a nice little capital city, some famous composers, half-decent cuisine, and some outstanding dessert wines.  Were I Hungarian that's the kind of stuff I would take pride in, not some hypothetical connection to a pack of obscure Dark Age freebooters. 

But hey - to each their own.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 29, 2013, 06:54:17 PM
Hungary has a nice little capital city, some famous composers, half-decent cuisine, and some outstanding dessert wines.  Were I Hungarian that's the kind of stuff I would take pride in, not some hypothetical connection to a pack of obscure Dark Age freebooters. 

But hey - to each their own.
Yeah. Same with Turks.