News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Faeelin on October 31, 2012, 08:33:05 PM
I mean, what I really don't get about this is that combat is the least fun part of CK2, at least to me. So why bother?

I do wish they'd taken heed of negative comments when they were introducing more leader traits that you can only see by going to each individual character screen.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

1 - is this not a joke? WTF?
2 - if this is serious, it is in the wrong game. The Aztecs don't establish themselves until the 15th century after the start of Europa Universalis.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Poor P'dox.

QuoteWhy did you make such a DLC ?
It was a suggestion done by a fan here at the forum, and we thought it would be a cool concept for a fun DLC.
We constantly get requests for things like this.
And as you all know, we've done it before with Fantasia in EU1, the scenarios for HoI2: Armageddon etc..

Is there anyone here thats played our games for a while, and have not tried out an "alienattack" in hoi2?

Did it take time from something else?
No. I could write a detailed explanation of this, but if you need to be told that artists and scripters are NOT working on code-bugs or code-features, you might not understand the explanation anyway.

But why make this project now and not republics/pagans/theocracies
Well.. ehh... ehh.. whats to say.. ehh.. something isn't.. ehh.. *hush*

But I don't want an alternative history dlc?
Well, don't buy it then, its as simple as that. It´s optional. You choose.

I don't want the aztec invasion to always happen!
You can turn off the DLC in the launcher if you don't want it. Simple as that.

What did you think the reaction would be?
I thought there would be 3 reactions.
a) "funny, but not something I want."
b) "funny, i want it"
c) "not my cup of tea, I don't care"

We never thought people would get angry...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Gamers, the babies of the Internet.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Maladict

QuoteI am absolutely livid at this news. I am going to try and compose myself long enough to write this post, but I've already punched my monitor several times and will likely do so several more before I finally hit "Submit."

What makes CKII stand out from other similar strategy games is the freedom you have. The end goal is not world conquest. The goal is whatever you decide to do with your dynasty. You can literally become the character you play as. For months now, I have "lived" as a King of Italy, a Duke of Lombardy, a Count of Bourbon, developing relationships with historical and fictional characters with their own unique personalities and character traits. I have formed friendships and even romances as prevalent and intense as any you could find in real life. I have shed true tears for the wives I've wed and lost, the sons and daughters I've raised and seen taken away too early. My heart has swelled with pride as I've bestowed titles upon the progeny that has made me proudest and witnessed my soul crushed by the necessity of having to "take care of" an unsuitable heir. I know it's not cool to be melodramatic or mawkish on the Internet but I am not ashamed to say that I have been emotionally invested in CKII, and while I know that the games do not follow history exactly as a recreation, the scenarios we play are realistic simulations based on real countries, often real people, and real historical junctures where the world as we know it changed.

Until now.

By indulging in this selfish, childish fantasy about Aztecs invading Europe, Paradox is sending a message to gamers like me that our feelings don't matter. The devs seem to be under the impression that CKII is just a way to pass the hours, to distract ourselves briefly from thoughts of impending death. Yet, for many of us, CKII is no laughing matter. It is serious business. Still, for a long time, many players like me have put up with Paradox's mistakes -- neglecting the complexity and nuances of the Eastern Roman Empire (NOT Byzantium), the obvious inaccuracies about the size and strength of Greater Serbia (Fourth Rome), clearly overstating the technological advances of any and all non-Caucasian cultures -- because we knew better than to bite the hand that feeds. We dared not to "go Galt" because, like drug addicts, we had become fiends hopelessly enthralled to the content churned out by those Swedish code monkeys and their barely cursory understanding of the glories of Western civilization. I mean, they could have added much-needed context to the great Balkan noble families of the 13th and 14th centuries, but instead they wasted their time on inconsequential things like West Africa and African portrait packs.

But that pales in comparison to this... This is like your husband promising to bake you an awesome cake but when you finally go into the kitchen to see what your husband has baked for you, all you find is a grown man, naked, playing in 100 pounds worth of chocolate pudding. "Honey," you ask sternly, "where is the delicious cake you promised me?" Your husband looks up at you with an idiotic grin on his face. "Baby, instead of baking you the cake you wanted, I took off my clothes and jumped into this pile of chocolate pudding!" The pudding is this DLC. The cake is the pagan or theocracy or republic DLC we really want. The devs are the grown man naked in the pudding. And we are the jilted wife -- and we are mad as heck, and we are not going to take it anymore.

I call on my fellow CKII fans to boycott any and all Paradox products until the devs put down their Latin American liberation theology books and stop visiting those Maoist Third World-ist blogs and instead go back to their meatballs and house mafias or whatever else they have in Sweden -- AND GIVE US, THE CONSUMERS, what we are asking you for!!! It is not hard!!! It's not unreasonable to want you to do what we ask you to do!!! And to stop being so selfish and glib about making video games!!! Give us the video games!!!

Okay. I am sorry. I had to let the world know how I felt. I owed it to the characters in my games -- and your games -- who only ask for the respect and rights you would give any video game character. Withdraw this DLC and treat video games as serious business.

:lol:

garbon

I've only gotten this far and ahh!

QuoteI have formed friendships and even romances as prevalent and intense as any you could find in real life.

Ed Anger

Barrister

Please tell me that even on Paradox this guy is being ridiculed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2012, 12:39:04 PM
Please tell me that even on Paradox this guy is being ridiculed.

"I know it's not cool to be melodramatic or mawkish on the Internet"

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2012, 12:26:19 PM
I've only gotten this far and ahh!

QuoteI have formed friendships and even romances as prevalent and intense as any you could find in real life.

GOD DAMN

Ed Anger

I'm getting an idea for an AAR.....

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on October 31, 2012, 11:15:17 PM
1 - is this not a joke? WTF?
2 - if this is serious, it is in the wrong game. The Aztecs don't establish themselves until the 15th century after the start of Europa Universalis.

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that.  When I saw the news on Rock Paper shotgun, i immediately came here to see what you guys had to say.  It seems to be a really stupid idea.  I mean, if you wanted to do pagans you could set back the game's time period a century or two and have it cover vikings,  That would be neat.  They might as well have orcs come out of the deep places of the earth.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

I'm not sure that such matters when you're positing a timeline where Aztecs ruled the waves and invade Western Europe in massive numbers. :wacko:

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2012, 12:54:28 PM
I'm not sure that such matters when you're positing a timeline where Aztecs ruled the waves and invade Western Europe in massive numbers. :wacko:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.  They might as well have the Hannibal descending from the Alps to conquer Lombardy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

QuoteOkay. I am sorry. I had to let the world know how I felt. I owed it to the characters in my games -- and your games -- who only ask for the respect and rights you would give any video game character. Withdraw this DLC and treat video games as serious business.

Ok nevermind.  The DLC is entirely justified if it resulted in this post.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."