News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Byzantards are on the same level as Confederitards and Holocaust Deniers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on August 14, 2012, 12:08:43 PM
Byzantards are on the same level as Confederitards and Holocaust Deniers.

:ultra:

Don't make me chop off your nose.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Seriously, I don't see the appeal of a humourless empire of religious zealots that was on a downhill trajectory ever since failing to defend Egypt against the Arabs.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Well it figures that the next DLC will be focused on the Orthodox, after all, they seem sort of the odd man out now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Hopefully the dlc after that makes the hre more powerful.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on August 14, 2012, 12:25:11 PM
Seriously, I don't see the appeal of a humourless empire of religious zealots that was on a downhill trajectory ever since failing to defend Egypt against the Arabs.

I don't see anything wrong with be interested in an Empire that was in a downward spiral for around 800 years from the point you mention.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

:huh:

What's not to get?  It's a combination of:

A: It's the direct continuation of the Roman Empire; and
B: that 800 year death spiral itself is pretty fascinating.  Sure they "lost" in the end.  But why can't a tragedy be compelling?

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2012, 12:54:22 PM
B: that 800 year death spiral itself is pretty fascinating.  Sure they "lost" in the end.  But why can't a tragedy be compelling?

Only issue for me is that many of the p'dox kids and Syt's Byzantards seem to hold on that for much of the CK2 period that the Byzantine Empire wasn't a beleaguered bulwark but rather easily capable of besting all its foes -and only fragmentary notions of why they didn't do so.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2012, 12:57:08 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2012, 12:54:22 PM

Only issue for me is that many of the p'dox kids and Syt's Byzantards seem to hold on that for much of the CK2 period that the Byzantine Empire wasn't a beleaguered bulwark but rather easily capable of besting all its foes -and only fragmentary notions of why they didn't do so.

Well the early part of the CK period Byzantium's destruction wasn't assured - pre-Manzikert and all that.

For the later periods, in particular the period where it lingers on into EU, of course it's destruction is all but assured - which is what makes it such an interesting and challenging nation to play.   Grenada has a similar dynamic to it.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2012, 01:04:03 PM
Well the early part of the CK period Byzantium's destruction wasn't assured - pre-Manzikert and all that.

Destruction, no - but future problems had already been seeded prior to Manzikert. One of the bits that the p'dox kids often decry is that the Byzantine often get smashed in the first few decades (though I rarely see that myself) which is only right and proper.

Razgovory

I wonder if there were a lot of humorous empires at the time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

The HRE was pretty humorous.

Valmy

You have got to be kidding me.  Do you also not see the appeal of chocolate cake and ice cream?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2012, 01:09:15 PM
Destruction, no - but future problems had already been seeded prior to Manzikert.

Yeah Manzikert was a symptom.  And if it had been in decent political health it would have easily survived Manzikert.  The army never survived Basil II's criminal disregard for the succession.  He could have appointed a regency of clowns and had a better result.  At least then Syt would have found it a humorous empire of religious zealots.