Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on April 01, 2012, 12:39:45 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2012, 06:03:55 PM
:D

Having a guardian with good stats can be a boon to a ruling brat. And not everyone in this game is a bloodthirsty maniac - if the sis didn't have too many stats like Cruel, Deceitful and Ambitious, she will not go even for the low hanging fruit.

I never really got that anyway.  Sure, I bet it's fun to rule, but doesn't the brother of a king get basically as many whores and as much booze as the king, and is required to work less for it?  You're going to run your medieval, third world shitheap basically along the same ideological lines, so it's not a potentially altruistic gesture, even a delusional one, as might be the unseating of a king by a commoner-revolutionary in later centuries.  I mean, personally, just give me a county or even a barony somewhere, and I think I'd be fine.

I suppose I do not have the trait: "ambitious." -_-
Eh, just to use Game of Thrones for example, but Robert, Renly and Stannis would all by completely different types of Kings.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: Ideologue on April 01, 2012, 12:39:45 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2012, 06:03:55 PM
:D

Having a guardian with good stats can be a boon to a ruling brat. And not everyone in this game is a bloodthirsty maniac - if the sis didn't have too many stats like Cruel, Deceitful and Ambitious, she will not go even for the low hanging fruit.

I never really got that anyway.  Sure, I bet it's fun to rule, but doesn't the brother of a king get basically as many whores and as much booze as the king, and is required to work less for it?  You're going to run your medieval, third world shitheap basically along the same ideological lines, so it's not a potentially altruistic gesture, even a delusional one, as might be the unseating of a king by a commoner-revolutionary in later centuries.  I mean, personally, just give me a county or even a barony somewhere, and I think I'd be fine.

I suppose I do not have the trait: "ambitious." -_-

Yep. That's the big problem with the game. Everyone is out to murder their way to the top. When in reality...lots of people were fine with their lot. Or at least wouldn't stoop that low.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

I haven't tried it yet but Death Causes looks like a nice bit of cleanup on something P'dox should have done. Let's you know how various characters died.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tyr on April 01, 2012, 03:40:59 AM
Yep. That's the big problem with the game. Everyone is out to murder their way to the top. When in reality...lots of people were fine with their lot. Or at least wouldn't stoop that low.

The "content" modifier is pretty powerful.  Suppose you could mod to increase its prevelance.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

JonasSalk

Anybody throw their daughter into the fissure in the earth? I sent that bitch straight to Hell.
Yuman

Queequeg

Played a pirated version for about 8 hours today, then uninstalled it.  Don't like restraints of demo, and I have finals.

Still.  Awesome.  Managed to build up a pretty decent House Halani out of the Duchy of Alania pretty quickly, mostly by expansion in to Dagestan and a quick knock-out blow to all the surrounding Georgian principalities.  My expansion options were severely limited because neither the Seljuks, Byzantines nor the Cumans were collapsing fast enough for my liking.  Ended up marrying in to a lot of Armenian and other Byzantine families, mostly because if a junior Halani branch inherits I want to at least form a continuous holding.  Ended up fighting half a dozen border conflicts with the Azeris because I couldn't just fucking annex them when I'd curb-stomped their ass after an attempted jihad.  This seemed very silly, but I was playing an early model and I am hoping this is fixed.  If my 10,000 Alanian men take fucking Baku 5 times, it should STAY Alanian.  Not my fault the Azeris find the worst possible times to declare war. 

No real civil wars yet, just a series of asshole Priest-Archbishops of Derbent-one of whom was a Turk, "Archbishop Mustapha I of Derbent"-who thought they could take advantage of my wars against the Georgian princes.  Somewhere, John McCain is angry. 

Still.  Some really elegant game design, particularly around succession and law. I kept changing the succession law from Gavelkind to Primogeniture, though I wasn't able to get enough support to go High Authority, so had to stick with Gavelkind longer than I wanted to. Durghulul was a mighty fine administrator, and a decent warrior before an unfortunate incident at a battle in Tabriz, but his deceitfulness didn't make him a lot of friends.   
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Swear fealty to the Byzantine Emperor and then slowly take it over from the inside.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Pedrito

I have an inheritance issue:

My toon, during his 60+ years reign, conquered the throne of England. After finally kicking, his son inherited the throne and some lesser titles; the guy is 45, his son is 25 and his male nephew is 7.
The strange thing is that the inheritance line for the kingdom, after the actual king, has the nephew in first position, instead of the son: why so?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 03, 2012, 12:43:36 AM
Swear fealty to the Byzantine Emperor and then slowly take it over from the inside.

Good luck with that, seeing how the Byzantine empire almost always has Absolute royal authority.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2012, 09:21:56 PM
I haven't tried it yet but Death Causes looks like a nice bit of cleanup on something P'dox should have done. Let's you know how various characters died.

You can do it already - you can hover over a dead character's "skull" icon and it tells you how they died.

Martinus

Quote from: JonasSalk on April 02, 2012, 10:51:57 PM
Anybody throw their daughter into the fissure in the earth? I sent that bitch straight to Hell.

Keep the thread on topic, please.

Martinus

Quote from: Pedrito on April 03, 2012, 03:17:18 AM
I have an inheritance issue:

My toon, during his 60+ years reign, conquered the throne of England. After finally kicking, his son inherited the throne and some lesser titles; the guy is 45, his son is 25 and his male nephew is 7.
The strange thing is that the inheritance line for the kingdom, after the actual king, has the nephew in first position, instead of the son: why so?

L.

I believe the "Laws" tab (which shows the heir and two pretenders) is not meant to show the precise law of succession, but rather your immediate heir and two people who are most likely to rebel and start a full blown succession war. Perhaps your grandson is Content or does not hold any land or whatnot.

Martinus

Incidentally, has anyone tried Seniority for a longer time? It seems like a good idea at first... only that you end up with a ton of pretenders and a really short life span for your family members, as everyone pretty much tries to murder everyone (with Primogeniture and Gavelkind you can at least control that by keeping your immediate heirs/sons close - with Seniority, especially if you gave Duchies to your cousins and whatnot, it becomes impossible to control).

Tamas

I stay clear of seniority, for the simple reason of not being able to tailor-make my heir via education.

Josquius

The short life span is what kills it. Succession is always a dodgy affair.
██████
██████
██████