News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

In my game, France/England were a personal union under the Capets from ca. 1100 on. In the 1120s, the French king died. Philippe II rose to the throne. The English dukes used this chance to break away from the French crown. There was 10 years of fighting in England, but finally the English crown was taken by Philippe II's younger brother, Othon. Othon still has claims on the French crown as well . . . and Philippe II on the English crown. This should be fun to watch. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Well, I picked up the crown of Castile too, though it wasn't my fault. I'd created a vassal in Toledo to curb the French conquest of Iberia. France had years ago taken enough of Castile to add that crown to their Empire.  Recently France went through a spat of civil wars (2 new dynasties on the throne in about 20 years) and the rump kingdom of Castile was formed.  My intrepid vassal, the Duchy of Leon, decided he'd like the be the duke of Castile as well and convinced several others dukes to help him out.  Once he'd conquered Castile and I had enough provinces to usurp the king title - I kinda had too, no? :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

I am having trouble getting this game. It is clearly very detailed, but for some reason it simply does not click for me - I don't know why I am doing the things I am doing, except because of the game itself - it doesn't feel "real". I know that sounds kind of vague and emo.

But it's like I am strictly playing a game, not really simulating a person on their family. "My "uncle" has insituted the "plot" mechanic so I shall use the"imprison" card!". Like there is a game with a bolt on theme almost, which I realize is kind of a crazy bitch for a Paradox game.

Mostly the game so far makes me miss EU3...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Quote from: Berkut on February 26, 2012, 08:35:37 PM
I am having trouble getting this game. It is clearly very detailed, but for some reason it simply does not click for me - I don't know why I am doing the things I am doing, except because of the game itself - it doesn't feel "real". I know that sounds kind of vague and emo.

But it's like I am strictly playing a game, not really simulating a person on their family. "My "uncle" has insituted the "plot" mechanic so I shall use the"imprison" card!". Like there is a game with a bolt on theme almost, which I realize is kind of a crazy bitch for a Paradox game.

Mostly the game so far makes me miss EU3...

Disagree.  At least CK2 has a personality.

If they'd just ameliorate the problems with defensive wars (get fucked up badly, but win, and get little out of it, get destroyed by other enemies) and the win-or-prepare-to-die seriousness of losing a defensive war, it'd be less frustrating, but overall I've gotta say it's the only P'dox game in years that I've truly thought was pretty well-designed.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

They do need to do something about sibling rivalry though.  After all, Mary and Elizabeth Tudor may have had claims to the English throne but they didn't bump off Edward to get it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

I love the kinslayers. Had a prince with stats out the wazoo. A possible elected King. Gave him his own county and he proceeds to kill 3 of his 4 sons. And tried to kill his older brother.

I had to banish his ass before he started trying to kill Uros the Strong. And salvage his last son for the dynasty.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

In 1233, the quintuple kingdom of England now can field more troops than the HRE (per the ledger). :o

sbr

Can raised levies reinforce to stronger than the level they were raised at?

Example:  Cannae's levy is 1K men max.  When I raise the levy it is only at 800 men.  Will that levy ever get stronger than 800 men while in the field?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realized how easy this would be to test.  They do not appear to get stronger than the strength they were raised at, which makes sense.

sbr

My 40 year old queen just pumped out her first son.  Now the old bitch just has to live another 16 years.

Tonitrus

Quote from: sbr on February 27, 2012, 12:11:04 AM
Can raised levies reinforce to stronger than the level they were raised at?

Example:  Cannae's levy is 1K men max.  When I raise the levy it is only at 800 men.  Will that levy ever get stronger than 800 men while in the field?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realized how easy this would be to test.  They do not appear to get stronger than the strength they were raised at, which makes sense.

Levies reinforce while in the field?  Never have seen that happen.

Habbaku

I've only seen mercenaries reinforce in the field.  Don't think it's possible for normal levies.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Hansmeister

I hate you bastards, I have to wait another 8-9 months before I can play this.

Martinus

Quote from: Hansmeister on February 27, 2012, 05:28:14 AM

Wtf why?

Hansmeister

Quote from: Martinus on February 27, 2012, 06:05:12 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on February 27, 2012, 05:28:14 AM

Wtf why?

That's when I get back from Afghanistan.