News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Viking on February 22, 2012, 03:44:30 PM
Truces work one way. The day after the white peace and you demobilize you can declare war on the guy who just attacked you without malus.

Holy Orders, btw, don't have to be demobilized between war declarations.  I can't remember if mercenaries do.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on February 22, 2012, 03:17:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 22, 2012, 03:16:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 22, 2012, 03:08:51 PM
:yes:

I fought off Mauritania and gained a whopping 240. I definitely paid out more upkeeping my mercs.  In real history, I would have used that war to knock them out of their Iberian holdings.

Agreed.  It would be better if war aims could be added when attacked.  One way to game the system, in theory,  is to continually attack a person (with the 10 year truce rule in mind) who has a claim so that they cannot make their claim good through war.

The current system is a very small price to pay for a non-retarded peace AI

I don't see how that follows.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: ulmont on February 22, 2012, 03:47:15 PM
Truces work one way. The day after the white peace and you demobilize you can declare war on the guy who just attacked you without malus.

Holy Orders, btw, don't have to be demobilized between war declarations.  I can't remember if mercenaries do.

Mercs dont have to be either.

Martinus

Quote from: ulmont on February 22, 2012, 01:08:42 PM
Found Martinus' account (or sock) on Paradox:

QuoteI mean as it stands now, all being gay does is reduce your fertility and your opinion. But just as a hetero king frequently goes and saucies himself with a pretty young thing at court, I think events should fire regarding other homosexual characters, whether they be courtiers or other nobles.

Like what if you become the lover of another noble, then that should also be the equivalent of marriage in an alliance
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?588922-quot-Homosexual-quot-should-have-more-events-surrounding-other-gay-courtiers-or-nobles

Why would I use a sock if I have a normal account there? But I agree with this.

Viking

I'm pretty sure this is a cheat, but holding the title king of aragon all the time while the land is overrun constantlly by jihadists and crusaders, I have found it suitable to reform the fuck out of the kingdom up to absolute monarchy despite not having a square inch of land down there.

The next move is to get the dukes out of wales and scotland, reform the fuck out of those places in a few generations before moving them back to find out they can't do fuck all.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on February 22, 2012, 04:34:47 PM

For the same reason you might use a sock puppet here.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 22, 2012, 06:06:40 PM

Never did. Never felt a desire to.

Fireblade

Quote from: Martinus on February 22, 2012, 06:16:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 22, 2012, 06:06:40 PM

Never did. Never felt a desire to.

Except for that one time, right brah?

Guess you didn't give up being a lying liar from Lodz for Lent.

Ideologue

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 22, 2012, 04:24:54 PM

I don't understand why levies have to be stood down anyway.  Why would I not prepare an invasion force before invading?

But of course if my invasion force is holy orders and/or mercenaries I can mass them on the border no prob.  I don't get the reasoning.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on February 22, 2012, 11:06:22 PM

I don't understand why levies have to be stood down anyway.  Why would I not prepare an invasion force before invading?

But of course if my invasion force is holy orders and/or mercenaries I can mass them on the border no prob.  I don't get the reasoning.

I think the reasoning is so that you can't bum rush an AI nation by getting your troops all in place.

So yeah I think allowing mercs/holy orders to do so breaks that notion.  Given the cost that is associated to holy orders - it seems like the thought might have been that it would be too expensive to do piece aligning with non-levies. Clearly that was wrong. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2012, 12:00:30 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 22, 2012, 11:06:22 PM

I think the reasoning is so that you can't bum rush an AI nation by getting your troops all in place.

So yeah I think allowing mercs/holy orders to do so breaks that notion.  Given the cost that is associated to holy orders - it seems like the thought might have been that it would be too expensive to do piece aligning with non-levies. Clearly that was wrong. :D

I raised a Holy Order to help defend against a Muslim attack in Africa.  As soon as I won that war I DoW'ed Cyrenaica and bum rushed them with the still standing Holy Order.  :blush:

sbr

Some fun screenies from tonights session.

The Byzantines are actually falling apart.  This is 1158

Diplo mode

Whole world shot at the same time

The funny thing is they were falling apart well before this.  The Emperor died in February 1159.

Anyone have any idea why these muslim cats are my vassals?

Why would I have the city and church as holdings but not the entire province? They have been there since my crusade for Alexandria almost 30 years ago.  I had started sieging that province before peace broke out, don't remember if I had finsihed the siege.  It is part of the Emirate of Alexandria, so was fair game to be taken in the war. 

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on February 22, 2012, 03:57:38 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 22, 2012, 03:17:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 22, 2012, 03:16:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 22, 2012, 03:08:51 PM
:yes:

I fought off Mauritania and gained a whopping 240. I definitely paid out more upkeeping my mercs.  In real history, I would have used that war to knock them out of their Iberian holdings.

Agreed.  It would be better if war aims could be added when attacked.  One way to game the system, in theory,  is to continually attack a person (with the 10 year truce rule in mind) who has a claim so that they cannot make their claim good through war.

The current system is a very small price to pay for a non-retarded peace AI

I don't see how that follows.

It follows because the AI does not have to weight a shitload of possible options. Two things follow from this:
-you don't end up with Russia asking for West England in a war over Afghanistan, alá' Victoria
-you end up with an AI that can actually assess it's situation

I have seen vast improvements in the peace AI here, compared to the retarded vegetable which were in previous games.

Speaking of which, had my first relevantly big war with my mod: a Crusade was called against Mauritania of all places, and I sent two stacks in, my levies and a Holy Order. First I had a close battle with a stack of almost 9000 musselmen. Then came a stack of about 6000. Then later a stack somewhat over a thousand. After that, their armies were defeated: no repeating stacks of 20k men, By the time I conquered their Iberian holdings and were mopping up the African coast on the other side of those, the AI was trying to assemble a siege force by sending a few hundred troops to Iberia every once in a while, so they were far from totally depleted, but after suffering 3 decisive losses, they could not totally recover 3 times in a single war, like they used to in vanilla.
And once I conquered a province from the territory I was crusading for, I was offered peace.

Viking

My nephew the gay duke of Brittany died, I was his heir. I was running at high speed because I was a peace and was saving up cash to buy thos buildings that give me heavy cav. In the time between me clicking on the continue button not having realized that I inhereted me noticing that the demesne penalty was active and clicking pause half my dukes and half my crusader counts had revolted (crusader counts are the ones created out of nobodies and made counts and the duchy title remains uncreated).

My main duude (the King) died and his heir the Duke of Somerset added 1 duchy and three counties to his duchy tally and demesne before I could hit pause half a dozen dukes revolted.

This goes on and on.... Having to swap out and/or imprison the entire nobility each generation is getting very annoying...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

You are clearly doing something wrong. In my game as England, which I abandonned around 1250 because it was getting too boring and I did not really feel like expanding on the continent, I only really had to deal with massive revolts of the kingdoms/areas conquered by a King after that King died. Once I went through this, on following generations only new acquisitions revolted but the old ones stayed loyal.

You are either over expanding or just not using the earlier revolts to reshuffle your kingdom so it is more orderly and loyal.