Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Tamas on February 21, 2012, 02:51:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2012, 02:46:19 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 21, 2012, 02:39:05 PM
But if you have an Emperor title above them, you can distribute them, avoiding all that shit and still ruling all that land.

Aka making it too easy to keep it all together.

yes

Though the counterargument would be that a unified Spain should be easier to hold together than a unified kingdom consisting of Hungary, Croatia, Poland, and Denmark.  I wouldn't make that argument personally, because I think it probably reflects a more modern mindset, but I can see why some people would think it.

garbon

Quote from: dps on February 21, 2012, 03:07:31 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 21, 2012, 02:51:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2012, 02:46:19 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 21, 2012, 02:39:05 PM
But if you have an Emperor title above them, you can distribute them, avoiding all that shit and still ruling all that land.

Aka making it too easy to keep it all together.

yes

Though the counterargument would be that a unified Spain should be easier to hold together than a unified kingdom consisting of Hungary, Croatia, Poland, and Denmark.  I wouldn't make that argument personally, because I think it probably reflects a more modern mindset, but I can see why some people would think it.

Maybe although Hungary-Croatia-Poland did happen near the end of our period. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Fireblade

I don't think the Kings of Spain had all that much difficulty holding it together. During the CK time period, it was very common to have someone be simultaneously king of Galicia, Leon, Castile, Navarra, and Aragon in various combinations.

In my opinion, the fix for Spain is to have them all set to gavelkind, and make it really hard to get out of. Kind of like how Tamas is going to make it very, very hard for the HRE to leave elective law.

Edit: Actually, a bigger problem is that the taifa emirates are WAY too fucking strong. The Christian kingdoms were demanding tribute from them in 1066, not cowering in fear of a Sevilla blitzkrieg.

Valmy

Quote from: Fireblade on February 21, 2012, 03:19:17 PM
I don't think the Kings of Spain had all that much difficulty holding it together.

I don't know about that.  They had to make so many concessions they really only had the ability to tax Castille. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Fireblade

Quote from: Valmy on February 21, 2012, 03:23:08 PM
I don't think the Kings of Spain had all that much difficulty holding it together.

I don't know about that.  They had to make so many concessions they really only had the ability to tax Castille.

Yeah, but the Count of Alamazorgorda de Jaron de California wasn't rising in revolt every 3 years along with every other vassal in Spain trying to overthrow the monarchy

Valmy

Quote from: Fireblade on February 21, 2012, 03:25:52 PM
Yeah, but the Count of Alamazorgorda de Jaron de California wasn't rising in revolt every 3 years along with every other vassal in Spain trying to overthrow the monarchy

They would have if the Most Christian Kings had tried to rule it as a unified Spanish Empire though.  Kissing up to everybody and ruling them as separate kingdoms with their own laws kept them all in line.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Edit: Actually, a bigger problem is that the taifa emirates are WAY too fucking strong. The Christian kingdoms were demanding tribute from them in 1066, not cowering in fear of a Sevilla blitzkrieg.

As I think Joan pointed out though is that really the balance we need here is to have either side start squabbling against each other when they start to dominate the other side (and vice versa).  So Christians attack one another once they have the muslims in a choke hold which allows more cohesive muslim front to take back lands.  That's what really gets at why the muslims continued to have a presence on the continent throughout our period.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Fireblade

Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2012, 03:27:59 PM

As I think Joan pointed out though is that really the balance we need here is to have either side start squabbling against each other when they start to dominate the other side (and vice versa).  So Christians attack one another once they have the muslims in a choke hold which allows more cohesive muslim front to take back lands.  That's what really gets at why the muslims continued to have a presence on the continent throughout our period.

..are there special AI flags like in previous Paradox titles? I haven't looked at modding anything yet, but I think that would be a great fix for that problem.

Habbaku

I haven't played as much as I would like, but I've played maybe a combined ~200 years here and there.  I don't know how they did it, but Paradox actually made a good game for once.  Patches should just make it even better.

In other news, my Apulia -> Sicily game has the Kingdom being ruled by Tyrion Lannister.  A lot of the vassals hate him and several revolts have been dealt with, but he's got great stats and no real flaws (aside from, you know, being a Dwarf).  Marrying his step-grandmother and cracking out 3 kids with her is just icing.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

I haven't had much time to test this reasonably, but I have compiled a mod, using the HRE mod from P'dox as a basis.
The stuff from it which I kept:

-Eligible titled lords are now much more likely to start a plot to lower crown authority.
-Reduced chances of plot discovery.
-Vassals can only declare a war for independence if they are 15% as powerful as liege or another vassal is already fighting for independence.
-It now requires medium crown authority to change from feudal elective to gavelkind if you are a crown ruler.
-It now requires high crown authority to change from feudal elective to seniority if you are a crown ruler.
-It now requires absolute crown authority to change from feudal elective to primogeniture if you are a crown ruler.
-Mercenaries now cost slightly more than vanilla to raise but as much as upkeep as vanilla.

What I added:
-HRE is not allowed to leave elective succession, and lowest levy laws. It is free to raise levies via crown authority.
-Levy replacement rate down to 10% of the original, except when at peace, when it is the default rate.
-a culture file with everything as default except retarded Hungarian names removed :P

It has it's own mod directory and opens a new directory for map cache and savegames so you should be safe.

The Minsky Moment

Anecdotally, the conquered province penalties are helpful in providing some balance.  The immediate impact of conquering new different religion provinces is to make one weaker, not stronger.  Gains are harder to hold onto and rapid expansion is very precarious.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 21, 2012, 04:11:15 PM

Anecdotally, the conquered province penalties are helpful in providing some balance.  The immediate impact of conquering new different religion provinces is to make one weaker, not stronger.  Gains are harder to hold onto and rapid expansion is very precarious.

Yep that's definitely true and a positive. Unfortunately though it doesn't really prevent the muslim steamroller as they start off with most of the provinces in 1066.

HVC

Why can you change your crown laws on all your kingdoms, but not your feudal laws? or do you feudal laws cover all? becasue if i switch crowns (currently aragon and castile) i show different feudal laws.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Fireblade

Can anyone recall if the Andalusian blitzkrieg problem ever got solved in CK1?  :hmm:

Habbaku

Quote from: HVC on February 21, 2012, 06:42:08 PM
Why can you change your crown laws on all your kingdoms, but not your feudal laws? or do you feudal laws cover all? becasue if i switch crowns (currently aragon and castile) i show different feudal laws.

:huh:  You should be able to change them for both kingdoms, then.  Is there a delay or some reason you can't change them?  The tooltip should show why you can't change a law (something Paradox has done an excellent job of implementing, as opposed to the incredibly ambiguous tooltips in EU3).
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien