News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Viking on February 20, 2012, 11:45:25 AM
The only examples I know of capturing the king did NOT end the war were during The Anarchy when both Geoffrey d'Anjou and Stephen of England are captured by their respective foes in a battle and The Empress agrees to swap Geoffrey for Stephen and the various times when Henry VI was held by Yorkists. In Stephen's case his brother kept the cause going during his capture and in fact Stephen really is doomed when he falls out with his brother and Henry VI was quite incompetent.

The cases of capture or killing of the arch-enemy ends the war is more than common. Harold at Hastings, John and Runnymead, John II at Poitiers, Olaf at Stiklestad and Harald Hardråde at Stamford Bridge.

Jean II. It helped but there was still almost an intervening decade before a treaty was drawn up.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Faeelin

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on February 20, 2012, 10:37:12 AM
Can you add more events for gay romance? I think this is more pressing than the other secondary shit you mention.

One of the hunting events had

"Guy saved me from a huge bear"

as it's text.. so I don't think the game needs more gay romance events
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2012, 12:04:57 PM
The only examples I know of capturing the king did NOT end the war were during The Anarchy when both Geoffrey d'Anjou and Stephen of England are captured by their respective foes in a battle and The Empress agrees to swap Geoffrey for Stephen and the various times when Henry VI was held by Yorkists. In Stephen's case his brother kept the cause going during his capture and in fact Stephen really is doomed when he falls out with his brother and Henry VI was quite incompetent.

The cases of capture or killing of the arch-enemy ends the war is more than common. Harold at Hastings, John and Runnymead, John II at Poitiers, Olaf at Stiklestad and Harald Hardråde at Stamford Bridge.

Jean II. It helped but there was still almost an intervening decade before a treaty was drawn up.

I'm sure Guillaume le Bastard, Edouard Longshanks and Henri Barberouge think his name is Jean rather than John or Johan.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Drakken

It also helped that Paris was straight in the middle of the Jacquerie revolt, that power in Paris was being tugged between the États Géneraux, notables aligned with Charles II the Bad, King of Navarre (one with an even better claim to the French throne than Edward III, plus his own claim on the Duchy of Burgundy), and the Dauphin Charles (future Charles V) trying to rule as Regent while trying to keep his life (he did, while a few of his followers didn't, sometimes killed even in front of him in his own bedchamber).

Crazy_Ivan80

My Komnenoi should have stayed in Antiocheia instead of aiming for emperor. Now the Empire is in the biggest civil war of the game and I doubt it'll survive in one piece

crazy canuck

The reconquista is fun.  Looking ahead, is there an event which unifies the crowns into Spain, or is this all about holding the various Crowns against all comers?

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on February 20, 2012, 01:00:42 PM
I'm sure Guillaume le Bastard, Edouard Longshanks and Henri Barberouge think his name is Jean rather than John or Johan.

I believe Willelm is the archaic French spelling.  At least that is what he was labelled as on the Bayeux tapestry.  And while Edward I was a native french speaker he took the Anglo-Saxon name Edward because the original guy was a Saint ;)
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 20, 2012, 02:21:56 PM
My Komnenoi should have stayed in Antiocheia instead of aiming for emperor. Now the Empire is in the biggest civil war of the game and I doubt it'll survive in one piece

When I play the Komenoi I am going to start the day after Alexios I takes the throne...in fact I think I am going to start on that date for every Eastern Med game since the Byzantines are a bit less overpowered, having lost all of Asia except for Trebizond.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 20, 2012, 02:24:08 PM
The reconquista is fun.  Looking ahead, is there an event which unifies the crowns into Spain, or is this all about holding the various Crowns against all comers?

As I understand it, for now it's just the various crowns.  There's a mod in the works by Wiz - who did good work on Rome, as I understand it, that adds new Empires such as Spain:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?587854-WizCK2-Balance-improvements-more-kingdoms-and-empires-more-ambitions-and-plots

garbon

Quote from: Viking on February 20, 2012, 01:00:42 PM

Well then you are mistaken in citing that as an example. Certainly wasn't the case that the war ended.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Ugh, I shouldn't have made fun of Gerbert. I've now Gerbert II and it is looking like Gerbert III will follow after him. :(

Not sure I quite follow the whole becoming English thing.  Seems a bit odd to turn English only to have my provinces remain Saxon.

garbon

Also, what do rebellious peasants do? Apart from when I've had a successful revolt cause a newly gained muslim territory to break away, I've never noticed them doing much.  I understand that rebel controlled provinces aren't remitting taxes/levies but for the most part I don't see much use in clearing rebels out of the territories of my rebellious vassals. Shame (seeing as how the rebels have leaders) that they don't try and declare themselves rulers of part of the province.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2012, 04:09:25 PM

Well then you are mistaken in citing that as an example. Certainly wasn't the case that the war ended.

It didn't take 10 years to negotate the end of the war, it took 10 years for the french to be able to gather the funds. iirc part of the deal was to release John in exchange for a large group of nobles, including his competent heir iirc.