News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Pro tip: make sure you have as few children as possible. God damn kingdom heirs.

I was just THIS close to losing the Hungarian throne, because I was careless enough to let a claimant marry into Bulgaria. They came at me with a vengeance since not only they had provinces in Asia Minor with good manpower apparently, but also they had Byzantium as ally.

Repeated assassination attempts not only destroyed my piety, but managed to kill the fucking claimant and end the war.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2012, 03:45:41 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 15, 2012, 02:09:48 PM
Voir dire I pronounce vore deer, like everyone else does, even though I'm certain that's not correct.

I've always heard it pronounced vwar deer, which is pretty close.

Thats about right.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

with an "a" sound BB? how do you get that from voir -  more like vwour isnt it?

I cant help thinking what vwar must sound like with an American accent.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on February 15, 2012, 02:40:50 PM
Anglo-Norman French, yeah, but it's another example of legal terminology that (I expect) isn't pronounced correctly.  However, I'm not sure how to say it properly, since it's not modern French (and I butcher that too, because of their penchant for letters that don't do anything).

No one really knows how Law French was pronounced, much less supposed to be pronounced.  It's anything goes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 15, 2012, 04:03:59 PM
with an "a" sound BB? how do you get that from voir -  more like vwour isnt it?

I cant help thinking what vwar must sound like with an American accent.

That's an even better phoenetic spelling.  Certainly better than "vore deer"

HVC

Stop lawyering up the thread! :ultra:

Also, how does everyone here feel about pancakes and maple syrup?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

I'm not a maple nazi.  Slap some high fructose corn syrup and butter on there and get 'er done.

katmai

It's all about the waffles, you eggplant.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

pork chop!

Which brings to mind; can we all agree that that while pancakes (and begrudgingly) waffles are excellent morning foods bacon is the best breakfast food possible?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

No.  Sausage is a superior breakfast food to bacon.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on February 15, 2012, 04:32:36 PM
pork chop!

Which brings to mind; can we all agree that that while pancakes (and begrudgingly) waffles are excellent morning foods bacon is the best breakfast food possible?

I'm pretty sure that beer is the breakfast of champions... :hmm:

crazy canuck

There is nothing like a nice cold one with pancakes and real maple syrup.

Bacon, particulary back bacon is an extra bonus.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas