News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: Kleves on February 15, 2012, 10:30:14 AM
Thanks for the answers. Bummer about the liege being able to raise troops without asking.

I played a bit more this morning and my liege usurped my title. One little plot against him and that's how he reacts. :glare:

You should still have a claim on that title, so if the ruler becomes weak and you have 50% of the Duchy's de iure provinces you can usurp it back again, or outright declare war on him should you become independent.

Valmy

I thought it would be sorta fun to play the new Ethiopian rulers but the Egyptians just come rolling in making them pretty much unplayable.  Bummer they looked like they would provide a good game in theory.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Damn it. It's a god damn J. Jure.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Yeah, what's up with that de iure business?

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 15, 2012, 11:10:13 AM

No it's not. In fact, Latin does not have a "j" letter.  :huh:

It's also pronounced "de yoo-reh" not "j" like "jam".

HVC

Latin's dead and the letter J lives on :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on February 15, 2012, 11:14:54 AM
Not in English it's not.  Although legal English absolutely butchers Latin and Norman French by using their words without any change of pronunciation than if they were just English words :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

I know. I'm annoyed at your presumptuous use of the Classical latin instead of the correct translated word of Jure.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Sorry, I'm going to use Latin words in their correct spelling and pronounciation not some English butchery.

Just as "prima facie" is pronounced "pree-mah fah-ts-ye" and not "pr-ay-mah fey-sh-ye", and "mu" in "mutatis mutandis" is pronounced "moo", not "m-yu".

OttoVonBismarck

Marti is right sort of, classical Latin did not have a J character in its alphabet (or a U), which is why Iesvs would be the original spelling for Jesus. But I believe Medieval latin had added J and U, which is where the modern form of the name "Jesus" comes from...so it's only partially correct to say Latin doesn't have a J. Classical Roman Latin did not, but Latin continued in common usage (well, common enough) for over 1,000 years after the Western Empire fell and while most 20th/21st century Latin classes don't teach Medieval Latin it's still a valid form of the language and a lot of modern words have their spelling based on the Medieval form.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on February 15, 2012, 11:23:36 AM
Sorry, I'm going to use Latin words in their correct spelling and pronounciation not some English butchery.

Just as "prima facie" is pronounced "pree-mah fah-ts-ee-eh" and not "pr-ay-mah fey-sh-ye".
Ponce <_< :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Also, the incorrect (English) pronounciation of Latin words is one of my key pet peeves, so I may be overreacting here. :P

Syt

As anyone who's watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade should know.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2012, 11:05:31 AM
I thought it would be sorta fun to play the new Ethiopian rulers but the Egyptians just come rolling in making them pretty much unplayable.  Bummer they looked like they would provide a good game in theory.

Mad King James recently tried to suggest some changes but a quick poster threw in that p'dox had done research on the area and that this was a game. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Damn, I gotta say, this is probably the best game Paradox has ever made, or at least one I am most excited about.

It reminds me of my teenage years when I was reading Runciman and Huizinga.  :blush: