News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Ed Anger

Doesn't have giant caliphate in Germany.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 09, 2012, 06:26:39 PM
OH man, are you guys really going to talk me into buying this on release?
I think I will be  :Embarrass:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

I meant CK2.  I kinda like CK1's map.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

The CK2 map is rather nice. I like the way the main menu loads with it.
And the way it extends beyond the immediate area concerned.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Yep--the lack of extension was a really annoying issue with CK1.  I mean, Iceland and such were worthless, sure, but near-impossible to actually interact with due to the UI.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Fireblade

Okay, if we play a giant MP Languish game, it doesn't look like France will be big enough to hold everyone. HRE or Byzantium it is.*  :lol:

*Assuming Paradox didn't completely fuck up CK2 <_<

Habbaku

I've been talking the problem over with a few people and I came up with at least what sounds to be a tenable solution.

Rather than stuff everyone into the same kingdom (though the HRE or Byzantium would be neat, mind), why not split the players down the middle into "teams" and take France/England?  I think it solves the problem of unchecked expansion--France gets hungry in the HRE or Spain and gets smacked down by the English "team"--and also allows a lot of politicking among the sides.  If a war erupts between France and England--and it will--which dukes can really be trusted to follow their king against another?  Might one of them be plotting to overthrow the current French/English king and be content with English/French help to do so?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Is England strong enough to face France?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

No clue; don't have the game.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Fireblade

Quote from: Habbaku on February 09, 2012, 08:17:43 PM
I've been talking the problem over with a few people and I came up with at least what sounds to be a tenable solution.

Rather than stuff everyone into the same kingdom (though the HRE or Byzantium would be neat, mind), why not split the players down the middle into "teams" and take France/England?  I think it solves the problem of unchecked expansion--France gets hungry in the HRE or Spain and gets smacked down by the English "team"--and also allows a lot of politicking among the sides.  If a war erupts between France and England--and it will--which dukes can really be trusted to follow their king against another?  Might one of them be plotting to overthrow the current French/English king and be content with English/French help to do so?

That would be interesting. I wonder how stable MP is? Another interesting idea is having everyone in the same general area, and more or less on the same level. If enough people are playing and it'll work, we could conceivably have, for example:

- King of France + Several dukes (Aquitaine, Burgundy, Languedoc)
- King of England + Several dukes (Pick 3 I guess)
- King of Scotland
- King of Castile
- Duke of Brittany
- Duke of Barcelona
- Duke of Lower Lorraine
- Duke of Savoy/Provence/Matilda/Apulia (or whatever)

Habbaku

I think you should be wary of spreading the players too far afield.  If the distance is too great, you'll likely run into EU3's problem of unchecked expansion at the expense of the AI.  Those on the fringes will benefit immensely, while those hemmed in will have nothing to do but attack other players.  Better to have everyone locked in the same, general neighborhood (say, 2-3 kingdoms--England/France/Scotland is a good split, I'd say) so they all are forced to fuck with one-another somehow. 

MP should be about player interaction, not to see who can play SP the best.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Yeah England/France/Scotland could be interesting.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Fireblade

Yeah, that's true. Maybe 1-2 players for Scotland (King of Scotland and that one independent duke between Scotland and England?) and evenly divide everyone else up between England and France?

Drakken

Quote from: Tyr on February 09, 2012, 06:44:02 PM
That doesn't entirely make sense- so a guy you don't like but is your boss has called you off to war....and you decide to take only a handful of men with you, knowing full well that your boss is an idiot and you need all the protection you can get.

That's the way it is set, the reasoning is that since you have given homage yon have to send someone in your name or go in person, but you will only bring an half-assed number of troops and keep the rest at home.

When you dismiss levies do they not return home?

If they are disbanded inside your territory, yes they do. If not only a fraction will make it to their land.

Yet, it still takes a while for reinforcements to arrive.