News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Right before my 20 years were up, my primary heir became a lusty homosexual who liked to party. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on February 08, 2012, 08:12:17 PM
Right before my 20 years were up, my primary heir became a lusty homosexual who liked to party. -_-
A real chip off the old block?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on February 08, 2012, 08:16:24 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 08, 2012, 08:12:17 PM
A real chip off the old block?

His father had several children by a Princess of the HRE and a Princess of England. It wasn't his homosexuality that led to him having them both killed. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Actually I wonder about the incidence of homosexuality. I've played twice and both times I've gotten a homosexual heir, one female and one male.

The Minsky Moment

A few thoughts:

+Mercs should be less common in the 11th century and the number of troops lower.  Both the variety and size of available merc companies should rise over time up till the 14th century.

+ Levies are pretty cheap to maintain which is actually OK for the time period.  But there should be some mechanism whereby they start to desert after 90-120 days.  Then as time goes on or culture tech increases, both the cost and reliability of levies should increase

+ Supply levels seem too high and more importantly they don't degrade over time.  That is - you should be able to push through a 5000 man army through a rich province without much attrition but if they stay put for longer than a month or so they should start to starve.   I would make supply levels dynamic so that the initial value halves every 45 or 60 days.  The exception would be for troops operating from their home provinces or liege-owned provinces, who could draw upon (virtual) stockpiled supplies.  That would make offensive operations much more tricky.

All these changes would have the effect of nerfing 11th century blitz campaigns.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Kleves

Those sound like good ideas, so Paradox will probably add panzers instead.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Tonitrus

I am getting the impression that having a loving, supporting royal family that cares for each other is not possible in this game.  :mad:

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 08, 2012, 11:45:20 PM
I am getting the impression that having a loving, supporting royal family that cares for each other is not possible in this game.  :mad:

Well I don't think it helps that you typically start off disliking your children because they have low personal diplomacy.

Drakken

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 08, 2012, 08:39:44 PM
A few thoughts:

+Mercs should be less common in the 11th century and the number of troops lower.  Both the variety and size of available merc companies should rise over time up till the 14th century.

Mercs are already not very common. Their numbers are limited and dependent on geography, and they need time to rebuild themselves. So within a few decades very few merc companies are fully-manned, and quite a few are in fact depleted.

Drakken

Quote from: Tyr on February 08, 2012, 07:54:57 PM
I've barely touched the demo so I wonder...how does titles in other kingdoms work?
i.e. can the king of England also be the Duke of Normandy without Normandy suddenly being part of England?

No. No double allegiance.

However, as the Duchy of Normandy is part of France de jure England will have a say in the Crown Laws of the Kingdom of France.

Drakken

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 08, 2012, 07:26:52 PM
The tit-for-tat murder of Louis of Orleans and Jean sans Peur qualify.  Certainly assassinations happened, but they were far from being the favorite parlour game of the medieval nobility.

The game would be very boring and unchallenging if all characters were lovey-dovey, loyal courtiers with one backstabbing psychopath every 50 years or so. When people think Middle Ages they think murder, plotting, and bloodshed.

Drakken

My overly ambitious sister the Duchess of Skåne finally went too far and tried to poison my inbred buffoon of a minor King. She failed, the cupbearer talked, and I imprisoned her immediately.

A few days later, got the event that the Spymaster was getting ready for her execution, and off went her head without incurring any Tyranny. Serves her right. Before you whine about "psychopathic women", she was married to the heir currently nominated as future King of Denmark AND had a right to the throne of her own right, and she had been a pain in my ass for years.

Her heiress is my last sister, Queen Consort of England. Pressed my claim on the Duchy of Skåne and she politely relented.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Drakken on February 09, 2012, 12:57:30 AM
I've barely touched the demo so I wonder...how does titles in other kingdoms work?
i.e. can the king of England also be the Duke of Normandy without Normandy suddenly being part of England?

However, as the Duchy of Normandy is part of France de jure England will have a say in the Crown Laws of the Kingdom of France.
Can you elaborate on how this works?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

One thing I spotted regarding that is that with max crown authority (I don't think that is maintainable relations-wise), titles can't be inherited by out of the realm fellows, at least that's how I read the tooltip.

Josquius

Quote from: Drakken on February 09, 2012, 12:57:30 AM

Can duchies move from de jure one country to another?
That was one annoyance I had with CK, that the possible titles were so set in stone. You could carve out a huge nation for yourself but unless you had exactly the right provinces it couldn't become a kingdom. You couldn't pay the pope to recognise some kingdom of Uber Switzerland or suchlike
██████
██████
██████