And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2011, 03:26:31 PM
Yeah that took a little getting used to.  It made me wonder what exactly my knights were wearing and fighting with, since swords and armor had yet to be invented.

There's a zero level of tech, at least for weapons and armor.  Load up a no advance country, activate a unit, and you can see what weapons and armor they start out with.  "Tribal sword," "felt armor" stuff like that.

The Minsky Moment

Institutional and financial "tech" -- like state bureaucracies, more sophisticated tax collection, "royal" justice systems should be distinguished from the technology of production or military technology.  The former involved very deliberate policy choices, albeit ones that required a strong monarch and resulted in costs in terms of alienating feudal vassals.  So ideally, that kind of tech should be split off into a decisions system that requires certain pre-reqs and comes with advantages and disadvantages.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2011, 12:48:29 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2011, 10:45:29 AM
I never liked researching tech in these type of games.  Idea of actively researching something for a desired end result is sort of anachronistic in this time period.  Generally speaking, States didn't hire people to come up with better crop rotation or put people together in a room to invent a county fair.  There are a few counter-examples.  Dionysius of Syracuse had people come up with weapons, but that was fairly rare.  I don't think people recognized technology as a source of power as we do today.  You start to see it in the Early Modern period, but even them many inventions were developed by individuals acting on their own.

Ok that is pretty convincing.  Hellenstic stuff from a thousand years before is not even relevent.  I guess the tech should just creep along and you should not be able to research it like Viking suggested.

On the other hand there is a problem with tech being automated.  Some countries jumped ahead technologically toward the end of the period, while others did not.  It's not entirely know why this happened (though there lots of theories) It would be frustrating to be locked in a technologically moribund nation without anyway to do something about it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2011, 05:33:55 PM
It would be frustrating to be locked in a technologically moribund nation without anyway to do something about it.

And in the Middle Ages too!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Fireblade on October 25, 2011, 02:30:11 PM
What bugged me about CK's tech system was that you started off in the stone age.

"Warsaw Discovers Chickens"
"Silesia Discovers Short Swords"
That never really bugged me TBH, guess I always read it more as advanced chicken farming techniques, how to make good swords, etc....
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on October 27, 2011, 12:02:47 AM
Quote from: Fireblade on October 25, 2011, 02:30:11 PM
What bugged me about CK's tech system was that you started off in the stone age.

"Warsaw Discovers Chickens"
"Silesia Discovers Short Swords"
That never really bugged me TBH, guess I always read it more as advanced chicken farming techniques, how to make good swords, etc....

fanboi?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

This must be one of the most useless, boring Languish discussions.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 27, 2011, 12:45:01 AM

A whole 3 pages? Yeah not buying it.  Besides, I'd rather talk about technology in the middles ages than your whore of the month.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Were there any significant technological developments in wenching during the period btw? When was the ballgag invented?

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on October 27, 2011, 01:07:06 AM
Were there any significant technological developments in wenching during the period btw? When was the ballgag invented?

Shortly after the first monkey wench.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on October 27, 2011, 01:08:09 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 27, 2011, 01:07:06 AM

Shortly after the first monkey wench.

:hmm:

Viking

meh, that's just because Warsaw hasn't developed Ducks yet in reality.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2011, 01:01:20 AM

A whole 3 pages? Yeah not buying it.  Besides, I'd rather talk about technology in the middles ages than your whore of the month.

It's not a discussion about technology in the middle ages. It's a tedious discussion about a secondary game feature. There is no discussion about technology in middle ages, because it's people who know about technology in middle ages telling you the facts and you responding in your typical bitchy mode which shows both your ignorance and general lack of social skills.