News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saladin

So, I just got this game and started a campaign as Grand Prince of Novgorod in 1066.
Good choice or should I start another game? :)
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

Tamas

Quote from: Saladin on August 14, 2019, 01:19:33 AM
So, I just got this game and started a campaign as Grand Prince of Novgorod in 1066.

I think many people bounce off CK2 because they try to handle it as a min-maxing strategy game. It is not that. If you scratch under the surface the actual mechanics are not very good (almost nonexistent economy, and warfare absolutely boils down to numbers). But that doesn't matter. It is a strategy-RPG hybrid, and should be approached as such.

Embrace the chaos and the fact you barely know why NPCs do what they do and how to counter them. These are the best periods of the game. Once you learn the intricacies it will become trivially easy, so don't worry, play what you want, and enjoy the ride. :)

Saladin

Quote from: Tamas on August 14, 2019, 04:04:32 AM

I think many people bounce off CK2 because they try to handle it as a min-maxing strategy game. It is not that. If you scratch under the surface the actual mechanics are not very good (almost nonexistent economy, and warfare absolutely boils down to numbers). But that doesn't matter. It is a strategy-RPG hybrid, and should be approached as such.

Embrace the chaos and the fact you barely know why NPCs do what they do and how to counter them. These are the best periods of the game. Once you learn the intricacies it will become trivially easy, so don't worry, play what you want, and enjoy the ride. :)

I'm treating it as a "marry to get more land"-simulator.  :ph34r:
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

dps

While I don't exactly disagree with what Tamas posted, the learning curve, as typical of Paradox game, is quite steep.  I haven't played the 1066 start in years (I almost always start in 769) but IIRC the Russian principalities are a fairly tough start in 1066,  That may have change anyway with all the updates there have been.  Do you just have the base game, or did you get a bunch of the DLCs or a bundle that included them?

Anyway, the traditional advice for newbies is to start in Ireland in 1066, but I disagree with that idea.  I recommend that newbies start as Poland in 1066.  You'll be a Christian ruler with lots of nearby pagan lands to expand into.  But since you already started a game, go ahead and play it out. 

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Tamas, interesting advice, thanks.

Bought some extra expansions, mainly so I could send a friend the base game/dlc I already had and because you guys rate it so highly, but I'm sort of lost about the mechanics and DLC functionality, so your advice and Sals is a helpful perspective.  :cheers:

Saladin

Quote from: dps on August 14, 2019, 10:38:15 AM

While I don't exactly disagree with what Tamas posted, the learning curve, as typical of Paradox game, is quite steep.  I haven't played the 1066 start in years (I almost always start in 769) but IIRC the Russian principalities are a fairly tough start in 1066,  That may have change anyway with all the updates there have been.  Do you just have the base game, or did you get a bunch of the DLCs or a bundle that included them?

Anyway, the traditional advice for newbies is to start in Ireland in 1066, but I disagree with that idea.  I recommend that newbies start as Poland in 1066.  You'll be a Christian ruler with lots of nearby pagan lands to expand into.  But since you already started a game, go ahead and play it out.

It's my girlfriends copy of the game but IIRC there are a bunch of DLC's. But I might start a new game since I haven't played this particular save since I started it up. So 769 is a better start than 1066?

dps

Quote from: Saladin on August 15, 2019, 01:07:32 AM

It's my girlfriends copy of the game but IIRC there are a bunch of DLC's. But I might start a new game since I haven't played this particular save since I started it up. So 769 is a better start than 1066?

Well, you get to play longer.  I'm not sure that I'd say it's better, exactly.  Also, pagans are generally more interesting to play, and overall they're in better position in 769.  OTOH, a lot of people say that the 867 start is the best.  Certainly the 1066 start is popular as well;  it's also a good start for newbies because the earlier starts are only available with DLCs, so you can try out the game with a 1066 start and see if you like it before buying any DLCs.

Valmy

It depends on what you are going for. Obviously the later you start the less silly your game will be. Earlier on you can see things like Germanic Paganism wipe out Catholicism and things like that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Duke of Lower Lorraine inherited via senority, so I controlled Lower Lorraine and Burgundy, along with a few other French counties here and there.

Rebelled against the Queen of Lothringia while she was fighting off another rebellion and toppled her, usurping the crown.  A few months later the Emperor was killed in battle and I was voted Emperor! Totally unexpected.

From Count of Vermandios to Holy Roman Emperor in 105 years!  :showoff:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on August 15, 2019, 02:30:07 AM
Quote from: Saladin on August 15, 2019, 01:07:32 AM

Well, you get to play longer.  I'm not sure that I'd say it's better, exactly.  Also, pagans are generally more interesting to play, and overall they're in better position in 769.  OTOH, a lot of people say that the 867 start is the best.  Certainly the 1066 start is popular as well;  it's also a good start for newbies because the earlier starts are only available with DLCs, so you can try out the game with a 1066 start and see if you like it before buying any DLCs.

Anyone played the 936 start? How is it?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I purposefully try not to learn the intricacies of a game for just that reason.  I often have more fun when I make decisions based on incomplete knowledge.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2019, 05:30:49 AM

I purposefully try not to learn the intricacies of a game for just that reason.  I often have more fun when I make decisions based on incomplete knowledge.

Good attitude Raz.  :)

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point