News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Ugh.  I almost had England and East Francia in the bag but disease hit killing my heir and his wife (who was queen of England and heir to East Francia) leaving only their grandson left.  It wouldn't be so bad if I could play the little tyke, but it's AI controlled and I have rebellions all over the place.  My character is Emperor and has Syphilis which he's had for 20 years, yet still won't die.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

It's a completely different experience with Ironman.  My great-uncle had my precious little genius-just-diligent 15 year old Duke of Barcelona murdered through the German exile Lothar-Udo Lothar-Udes.  I couldn't go back and save him.  Very strange.   :hmm:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

I'm not sure it is a completely different experience. After all, I would have resisted temptation in the past as that's one of the bright lights.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

TBH I'm really impressed by the name translation system.  My Catalan son Enric de Barcelona, son of Miro, King of Aragon, and Princess Hildeburg Salian, is now the 4 year old Herzog Enric IV von Franken, one of the greatest landowners in Germany.   :hmm:
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

From the Paradox forums:

Uhm ...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

Just like Catch 22-an IBM machine with a sense of humor.

Queequeg

That has to be modded.  He's king an Arab king in Brittany with a Christian vassal who inherits? 

Razgovory

You can get the character creator for a couple of bucks and make what ever name you want.  If you can replace the King of England with a Jewish Khan at the beginning.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

Yeah, that's a character creator project, take a king title, create a character named Sultan Sultan, make him muslim, and that's what you get. Since he has no male relatives, his heir is his highest ranking vassal or something like that.

Queequeg

Ugh.  That fucking Muslim invade CB is awful.

Queequeg

Especially hard because playing as Armenia the Byzantines won't chip in to help out a Miaphysite Kingdom.  I was 4 years from a marriage alliance with the Byzantines when the fucking Saffarids land 14,000 Persian troops after I'd lost more than 75% of my manpower reserves in a campaign in the Levant.  Fuck. 

Bluebook

Im on the fence, should I get this game or not? What is the learning curve? is it fun? How fun? In what way?

Tamas

Quote from: Bluebook on December 04, 2013, 09:14:10 AM
Im on the fence, should I get this game or not? What is the learning curve? is it fun? How fun? In what way?

Do get it, it is great.

The learning curve is big, but not in terms of learning the interface, but understanding the complex relationships between characters in the game world. You will be stumbling around and collapsing your realm on top of your own head, getting furious about stuff that while seem random and opaque will make perfect sense once you learn and remember checking why they happen. But all this will contribute to great stories.

Now, complexity-wise: all the major expansions add to the game and I would recommend them all, but I am not sure if I recommend them all at once. I think the game is reaching a stage where the expansions are cleary aimed at veterans.
So even if you buy a bundle, I would consider just playing the base game first. Mess around with an Irish Duke, learn the basics. And buy it on Steam, the GG version will not be supported further.

Bluebook

Ok, I caved and bought it together with the old gods dlc. Any mod I need to get before diving in?

Tamas

Quote from: Bluebook on December 05, 2013, 08:21:01 AM
Ok, I caved and bought it together with the old gods dlc. Any mod I need to get before diving in?

No. Do start with the 1066 start first, though. Less crazy. And do not mind the shrilling "I used to conquer Europe in 50 years, I still can but now I am less strong after doing it, so patch is FUBAR, Paradox should burn in hell" crowd over at Paradox, and do apply the latest patch.