News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

An easy mistake to make, they are like two peas from the same pod  :lol:

Tamas

Regarding the lack of female plots, the guy who made the list also told later that there are various prerequisites for said plots, so it is far from having each and every female in the world looking for someone to murder. Which is of course highly unrealistic, but there you go.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2012, 10:31:21 PM
I can't find a link to the demo... :unsure:

If you put "Crusader Kings 2 demo" in google search, the link is within the first 3 top results. As a lawyer, you should know how to do research. :P

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

I love the "sandbox/Sim" aspect of the court relations. Like CK, it's especially fun when you try to go with the flow of events and not play "to win".

I played the demo as King of Poland and, predictably, married the German princess. She turned to be a cold bitch and at the same time the King fell in love with a young courtier (who arrived after her husband, some baron from Lesser Poland, died) and they started to elope. She was the first to get pregnant and bear my King a daughter - whom he legitimized, earning his wife's hatred.

Soon afterwards, the queen got pregnant and bore the King a son.

The King then started a plot (using his lover and his spymaster as fellow plotters) to have the queen assassinated... and once the deed was done, he promptly fell out of love with his lover, apparently, due to some bout of conscience.

He then married a Danish Princess, who turned out to be a conniving, ambitious schemer. She first asked to be made a spymaster and later had the King's ex-lover put into prison. Subsequently, the King's mother asked to become a spymaster instead of the Queen - and the King conceded. The Queen Mother quickly uncovered a plot of the Queen, who was trying to have the heir to the throne assassinated - and the Queen was put in prison.

She died there after 3 years and then some bishop asked the King to release his ex-lover from prison as an act of mercy - the King agreed and now, vary of foreign marriages, married her. And they lived happily ever after, like a dysfunctional family with three children, each from a different mother. :P

Tamas

:D

Yeah.

It appears the character system is exactly as I hoped when playing Rome: using what they did there, improving it, and the whole thing getting more meaningful as you play a family, not a country as in Rome.

Martinus

Can someone explain to me how do you conduct sieges and wars? I started a war with a two province pagan Pommeralia in Danzig/Slupsk, beat up their initial forces but then they kept spawning big armies that eventually beat me up, while my armies just stood there not doing any besieging.  :(

Tamas

Regarding the play-for-400-years cheat: I suppose a bunch of events have date requirements, so you would be basically playing CK2 Light, getting bored half of the regular events before you even get to play the proper game?

Octavian

Quote from: Martinus on February 07, 2012, 04:32:55 AM
Can someone explain to me how do you conduct sieges and wars? I started a war with a two province pagan Pommeralia in Danzig/Slupsk, beat up their initial forces but then they kept spawning big armies that eventually beat me up, while my armies just stood there not doing any besieging.  :(

You need more men in the besieging army than the defenders have in order to actually siege. You start by laying siege to the county capital and then, if you want to, can siege the other holdings.

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Martinus

But he seemed to have like 1600 men in his capital. Is this normal? That's almost as much as I can levy from my entire kingdom.

Richard Hakluyt

I used mercenaries to take out the pagans, even so they had a lot more men than I expected. This is a deliberate attempt to make the pagans last longer apparently.

It's a good game and I have pre-ordered. I do this even though I know the game will crash in 1279 while I am in the middle of a difficult war with the Mongol Caliphate of Dublin.

Martinus

I'm really digging the concepts behind some features - stuff like imprisonment for example, which was sorely missing from CK.

The thing that is cool about CK2 - I don't know precisely how to describe it - is the fun coming not necessarily from the act of playing the game itself but the nerd giddiness coming from what the gameplay represents. Does it make sense? I mean, I like playing WoW, but the fun part about it is the gameplay, not the escapist joy of being a mage who fights dragons - in CK2 it is different - I enjoy the fact I am sorta recreating some crazy scenarios from history and historical literature.

Tamas

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on February 07, 2012, 05:32:40 AM
But he seemed to have like 1600 men in his capital. Is this normal? That's almost as much as I can levy from my entire kingdom.

King Coleslaw can afford a Merc Company. Hire one your military troubles will end.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive