News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on November 14, 2011, 04:40:46 AM
Piracy protection is useless. No matter how 'good' it is the pirates always crack it and people download the game if they feel like it anyway.

That's not really the point.  The point is to make it harder, not make it impossible.  You can't make home burglary impossible, but you can make it difficult.  Anyway, the problem I see with Steam, is the way Pdox handles patches.  I remember reading how difficult it was for players who bought steam to install beta patches and such.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 14, 2011, 07:32:01 AM
That's not really the point.  The point is to make it harder, not make it impossible.  You can't make home burglary impossible, but you can make it difficult.

I don't think it is at all the same though. The chances of getting caught while pirating are much smaller and so if it just takes one more step that people can learn how to do by searching in google - many people will do it.

Also - closer to what I said about people legally purchasing games, suffering - I remember that I had a game that "needed" internet access to play when I didn't have internet at home. Instead, I had to download a crack so that I could play it sans internet. I had bought the copy legally in stores and still had to turn to shady activities in order to play something that I'd purchase. That ain't right.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Piracy protection is useless. No matter how 'good' it is the pirates always crack it and people download the game if they feel like it anyway.

That's not really the point.  The point is to make it harder, not make it impossible.  You can't make home burglary impossible, but you can make it difficult.  Anyway, the problem I see with Steam, is the way Pdox handles patches.  I remember reading how difficult it was for players who bought steam to install beta patches and such.

Very few people do go to much of an effort to make burglary difficult however. Burglar alarms are present in only a small minority of homes, very few people put bars on their windows, home cctv and spiked fences are generally the domain of the crazies.
Most people don't bother with these measures as doing so would damage their quality of life in return for minimal reward- the risk of being burgled is already quite low and if a commited criminal who knows what he is doing really wants something in your house he can get it.

Were piracy a direct analogy for burglary then major anti-piracy efforts could be worthwhile. Very few people have the skills to crack a game...however by the very nature of piracy all it takes is one team to crack it then they can spread it to the masses.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2011, 01:54:32 PM
That steam would give them some presence. I don't really see the point of introducing piracy protections as they are ridiculous simple for pirates to get around and seem to only serve to induce lawful customers to commit unethical and/or illegal acts.

How does buying from steam induce a lawful costumer to commit and unethical or illegal act?

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2011, 03:00:26 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2011, 01:54:32 PM
That steam would give them some presence. I don't really see the point of introducing piracy protections as they are ridiculous simple for pirates to get around and seem to only serve to induce lawful customers to commit unethical and/or illegal acts.

How does buying from steam induce a lawful costumer to commit and unethical or illegal act?

See the end of my last post.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on November 14, 2011, 11:35:50 AM

Very few people do go to much of an effort to make burglary difficult however. Burglar alarms are present in only a small minority of homes, very few people put bars on their windows, home cctv and spiked fences are generally the domain of the crazies.
Most people don't bother with these measures as doing so would damage their quality of life in return for minimal reward- the risk of being burgled is already quite low and if a commited criminal who knows what he is doing really wants something in your house he can get it.

Were piracy a direct analogy for burglary then major anti-piracy efforts could be worthwhile. Very few people have the skills to crack a game...however by the very nature of piracy all it takes is one team to crack it then they can spread it to the masses.

Most homes have locks.  A lock won't stop a determined burglar, but it may dissuade someone who doesn't know what they are doing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Solmyr

Habbaku

Alright, that was fairly amusing.  :lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

Quote from: Habbaku on November 19, 2011, 12:52:38 PM
Alright, that was fairly amusing.  :lol:

Winchester? More like Losechester!
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Damn.  I haven't seen a FMV for a game that wasn't a C&C title in a long time.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

....wow :mellow:
They're trying to go mainstream?
██████
██████
██████