And we're back!

Main Menu

I need new computer!

Started by katmai, March 19, 2011, 10:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Caliga

Quote from: viper37 on March 26, 2011, 06:56:42 PM
might be better.  I'm reading bad things on these Gigabyte boards.
What are you reading?  I have a Gigabyte 890-series board and it's fine AFAIK...
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DGuller

Quote from: katmai on March 25, 2011, 05:52:47 AM
Okay my latest wish list from new egg.

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 II Silver Steel / Aluminum / Plastic Computer Case $59.99

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100312SR Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity $274.99

RAM:G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $99.99

CPU:AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
Motherboard :ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard $331 combo pack
G.SKILL is the shit.  A stinking turd of a shit, that is.  I would recommend against touching that, go with OCZ RAM instead.

Caliga

I generally only use OCZ, Patriot, or Corsair.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2011, 11:26:29 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 26, 2011, 06:56:42 PM
might be better.  I'm reading bad things on these Gigabyte boards.
What are you reading?  I have a Gigabyte 890-series board and it's fine AFAIK...
on GB boards, users are complaining that rather than fixing things via a BIOS update, GB is releasing new revision of the board.  They complain about random crashes that does not happen with other boards using the same setup, in releases 1&2.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

Quote from: DGuller on April 07, 2011, 12:01:47 PM
Quote from: katmai on March 25, 2011, 05:52:47 AM
Okay my latest wish list from new egg.

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 II Silver Steel / Aluminum / Plastic Computer Case $59.99

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100312SR Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity $274.99

RAM:G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $99.99

CPU:AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
Motherboard :ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard $331 combo pack
G.SKILL is the shit.  A stinking turd of a shit, that is.  I would recommend against touching that, go with OCZ RAM instead.

:D heh okay, they were one of the highest rated on newegg when was doing the search, but thanks for your input.

Caliga

Quote from: viper37 on April 07, 2011, 12:16:05 PM
on GB boards, users are complaining that rather than fixing things via a BIOS update, GB is releasing new revision of the board.  They complain about random crashes that does not happen with other boards using the same setup, in releases 1&2.
I have a 890GPA-UD3H rev 1.0.  The only time I ever had some stability issues was when I was fucking around with overclocking my RAM back when the board was brand new and had an early BIOS.  I have zero stability issues now and BIOS is on it's 9th (beta) revision, and both my RAM and CPU are overclocked.  They do seem to release alot of board revisions though.

Scipio

I've had good success with some G.SKILL.  Otherwise, Patriot or Corsair only for me.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DGuller

Quote from: katmai on April 07, 2011, 12:17:29 PM
:D heh okay, they were one of the highest rated on newegg when was doing the search, but thanks for your input.
They were highly rated when I bought RAM from them as well.  Then I found that 1 of the 3 sticks was dead on arrival, and when I read through the reviews carefully, I saw that it was a very common occurrence with them

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2011, 12:14:37 PM
I generally only use OCZ, Patriot, or Corsair.

I've had good luck with Kingston, but I also don't touch the "Value Brand" nonsense.
Experience bij!

grumbler

GSkill memory is "Chevvy" memory - priced for the average buyer, and capable of average performance.  On a cost/performance basis they are very good, indeed.  Just don't overclock them.

Bad memory sticks happen to all users.  GSkill is very highly rated (far more so than OZC) at newegg.  DOAs seem to average about 8% for GSkill and about 20% for the "recommended" OCZ.

I'd advise against taking the word of a single disgruntled user over the statistics available at newegg.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Norgy

katmai

Being a lazy Mexican, i've decided to necro this thread...

after playing the SWTOR mmo this weekend i clearly need to upgrade my pc, so planning to order parts to be here right after i get back from job in three weeks just in time for release of game.