N.H. sports reporter convicted of running prostitution ring

Started by jimmy olsen, March 19, 2011, 01:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2011, 07:32:17 PM
Quote from: dps on March 19, 2011, 05:42:53 PM
You know, lots of people will say that prostitution should be legalized, but there's not that many outside of the rap music industry that will speak up in favor of pimping.
As long as there isn't any coercion I don't have a problem with pimping.

My point exactly. I get paid about 30-40% of what I earn for my firm, if you tally up my billable hours and multiply it by my hourly rate. These women got 50%. If one does not have a problem with selling sex, per se, I don't see where the problem is, unless we are dealing with coercion as you said - but then it's no different whether there is a coercion to sell sex or pick cotton - slavery is slavery and is rightly banned.

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on March 20, 2011, 03:10:49 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2011, 07:32:17 PM
Quote from: dps on March 19, 2011, 05:42:53 PM
You know, lots of people will say that prostitution should be legalized, but there's not that many outside of the rap music industry that will speak up in favor of pimping.
As long as there isn't any coercion I don't have a problem with pimping.

My point exactly. I get paid about 30-40% of what I earn for my firm, if you tally up my billable hours and multiply it by my hourly rate. These women got 50%. If one does not have a problem with selling sex, per se, I don't see where the problem is, unless we are dealing with coercion as you said - but then it's no different whether there is a coercion to sell sex or pick cotton - slavery is slavery and is rightly banned.

I will agree that there's no problem with the concept of an intermediary per se, but I suspect you'll find the relationship an abusive one more often than not even when it's not physically so.

Martinus

I don't know. I think a lot of abusiveness in prostitution businesses comes from the fact that activity is illegal and thus there is no state supervision and an element of blackmail involved.

I mean, without state intervention, there was much more abuse in 19th century Manchester textile factory child labour than there is in today's prostitution in civilized Western countries, yet noone claims that a factory owner-factory worker relationship is by nature abusive.

Regulate the business, let the "public" light into the dark, set some sort of "prostitute charter" setting out the rights of sex workers (e.g. medical checks, medical care access/insurance, safe sex only, right to refuse a specific customer etc.) and I can't see why this would need to be abusive.

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on March 20, 2011, 03:25:56 AM

I mean, without state intervention, there was much more abuse in 19th century Manchester textile factory child labour than there is in today's prostitution in civilized Western countries, yet noone claims that a factory owner-factory worker relationship is by nature abusive.

Not today, no.  :hmm:

But yeah, I see your point.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on March 20, 2011, 03:25:56 AM
I don't know. I think a lot of abusiveness in prostitution businesses comes from the fact that activity is illegal and thus there is no state supervision and an element of blackmail involved.

Regulate the business, let the "public" light into the dark, set some sort of "prostitute charter" setting out the rights of sex workers (e.g. medical checks, medical care access/insurance, safe sex only, right to refuse a specific customer etc.) and I can't see why this would need to be abusive.

The thing is, if prostitution was legal, there's not really a reason that hookers would need a pimp in the first place.

PDH

Legalize prostitution!  Make sports reporting illegal.

There, everyone is happy now.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jacob

Quote from: dps on March 20, 2011, 04:57:07 AMThe thing is, if prostitution was legal, there's not really a reason that hookers would need a pimp in the first place.

Yeah, they'd either be agents - to get you access to the better clients (bunga bunga parties) or bouncers - to help you deal with the occasional troublesome client.

Admiral Yi

If you operate on the bordello model you need a bordello owner.

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on March 20, 2011, 02:08:51 PM
Quote from: dps on March 20, 2011, 04:57:07 AMThe thing is, if prostitution was legal, there's not really a reason that hookers would need a pimp in the first place.

Yeah, they'd either be agents - to get you access to the better clients (bunga bunga parties) or bouncers - to help you deal with the occasional troublesome client.
What's the difference between an agent and a pimp in this story? I just cant see a material financial difference. And if you look at Hollywood model agents then other than with respect to really big stars, they act like pimps with a stable of whores, for whom they negotiate contracts, collect money, deduct commission and make sure their whores get paid.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2011, 02:10:42 PM
If you operate on the bordello model you need a bordello owner.

I think Jacob is confused. A pimp - like the guy in the story - acts exactly like an agent.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on March 20, 2011, 05:11:33 PM
I think Jacob is confused. A pimp - like the guy in the story - acts exactly like an agent.
Jacob, you, and I are all essentially agreeing that in the absence of coercion the functions of a pimp are benign and value-adding.  I was responding to his post about agents by pointing out that there are additional value-adding functions a pimp can provide.

CountDeMoney

My stable o' bitches know better than to hold out. Daddy'll cut ya.