Main Menu

Messenger probe in orbit around Mercury

Started by Brazen, March 18, 2011, 06:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 18, 2011, 10:43:33 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 18, 2011, 10:41:07 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 18, 2011, 09:49:55 PM
Liquid water and energy provided due to the tidal stresses of orbiting Jupiter. Same as the deep sea vents at the bottom of the sea.
But not exactly.  There's the cold and the radiation to contend with.
The miles of ice will protect them from the radiation. Tidal stress keeps it warm enough to be liquid, don't see the problem there.
Liquid is still cold, and Jupiter's radiation belts are very powerful.  It's not impossible, but it's not the sure thing you wish it was.  And in any event, it isn't more important than the exploration of Mercury.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 18, 2011, 11:32:18 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 18, 2011, 10:59:01 PM
Meh, even if there is life under there, it would probably just be invertebrates and single-celled organisms. 
The primitive lifeforms we bring back to study would probably wipe us out with some nasty alien virus.  And if there were some kind of fish, it would far too expensive for Caliga to transport his boat there.
Recovering foreign organism, esepecially complex multicellular ones would be an incredible boon for the biological sciences even if they were limited to invertebrates.

Any diseases they had would be extremely unlikely to be adapted to attacking Earth life.
Except we're not talking about recovering it, and neither is anyone serious.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 18, 2011, 11:32:18 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 18, 2011, 10:59:01 PM
Meh, even if there is life under there, it would probably just be invertebrates and single-celled organisms. 
The primitive lifeforms we bring back to study would probably wipe us out with some nasty alien virus.  And if there were some kind of fish, it would far too expensive for Caliga to transport his boat there.
Recovering foreign organism, esepecially complex multicellular ones would be an incredible boon for the biological sciences even if they were limited to invertebrates.

Any diseases they had would be extremely unlikely to be adapted to attacking Earth life.

Well damn, I guess smallpox wasn't adapted to attacking Native Americans...they must have been smothered by those blankets.

And yes, I know Native Americans aren't aliens, but the idea that alien diseases could have no effect on humans seems preposterous.  There is no way anyone could possibly know. 

ulmont

I fully support recovering Darryl Hannah from Europa!

The Brain

Who will carry the battle standard of Xerxes to the heart of Europa?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: ulmont on March 19, 2011, 02:25:07 AM
I fully support recovering Darryl Hannah from Europa!
Speak for yourself.

Europa is a icehole.  Let's get on with the more serious and realistic business of colonizing the moon.
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 18, 2011, 09:05:26 PM
Europa's ocean is well known, and every where on Earth where there is liquid water there is life. Earth isn't special. If something occurs on Earth, then given the same circumstances it will occur elsewhere.

Incorrect.  It is suspected.   There may be an ocean there.  There may not be.  It's also possible that the ocean only exists at certain times of the year.  There is no reason to believe that Earth is not special.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2011, 10:11:58 AM
:hmm: Why?  Isn't Pluto just gonna look like the moon (or maybe a big iceball)?

Definitely a big iceball. With temperatures that would melt lead it's almost certain.  :rolleyes:

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on March 19, 2011, 05:26:22 PM

Definitely a big iceball. With temperatures that would melt lead it's almost certain.  :rolleyes:

Ah, Marty...  Oh never mind.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

You're thinking Mercury, not Pluto.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 20, 2011, 12:49:15 AM

You're thinking Mercury, not Pluto.

Oops. For some reason I thought he was talking about Mercury. Probably because I was drunk when I posted that.