Main Menu

The Self-Immolation Thread

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 17, 2011, 12:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

...And it continues.

Tibetan Monk Reportedly Sets Himself On Fire In China

By GILLIAN WONG   03/16/11 09:41 PM   AP

BEIJING -- A Tibetan monk in western China set himself on fire in an anti-government protest, then was beaten and kicked by police, prompting hundreds of monks and others to rally, an exiled Tibetan monk said.

The 21-year-old monk, Phuntsog, who like many Tibetans goes by only one name, set himself on fire on Wednesday afternoon on a main street near the Kirti monastery in Aba town, in Sichuan province, said Kusho Tsering, a monk now living in Dharmsala, India.

A man who answered the phone Thursday at the Public Security Bureau in Aba said he did not know anything about the case and hung up.

A man who answered the phone at the media office of the Communist Party in Aba said his office did not know the specifics of the matter.

"The main office of the communist party in Aba county is on top of this issue," said the man who would give only his surname, Zhang. The phone rang unanswered at the main office.

"The monks in the Kirti monastery are always trying to find ways to protest against Chinese rule in Tibet," Tsering, who is from the same monastery, said late Wednesday. "It's an obvious way to show the resentment of the Tibetan people."

The account highlights simmering tensions in Tibet and Tibetan-inhabited regions in western China amid several anniversaries this month, including the March 10 anniversary of the unsuccessful revolt against China that caused the Dalai Lama to flee in 1959. Aba county has for years been the scene of large protests involving hundreds of monks and citizens.

Within 15 minutes of the monk's self-immolation, police and plainclothes security officers turned up and extinguished the fire, but also beat and kicked the monk, Tsering said.

Angered by the beating, monks and Tibetan residents carried the monk back to the monastery, then marched along the main street before police intervened, said Tsering, who added he received the information from two eyewitnesses and two residents.

Tsering said he did not know if Phuntsog survived. Tsering spoke in Tibetan to The Associated Press by phone, with the help of an International Campaign for Tibet researcher in Dharmsala who translated.

Wednesday marked the three-year anniversary of what Tibetan activists and residents have described as a bloody crackdown by police on a large demonstration at the same Kirti monastery. It came just days after rioting that broke out in the Tibetan capital of Lhasa on March 14, 2008, which left 22 people dead and led to the most sustained Tibetan uprising against Chinese rule in decades.

China says Tibet has always been part of its territory, but many Tibetans say the Himalayan region was virtually independent for centuries and that Beijing's tight control is draining Tibetan culture and identity.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/17/tibetan-monk-reportedly-sets-himself-fire_n_836917.html
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Well I guess somebody...

:cool:

...was a little hot under the collar.

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

So he lit himself on fire, and the police beat him in punishment? Boy, I bet that really taught him a lesson. And others!

They aren't the sharpest tools in the shed...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

They were trying to beat the flames out. :contract:

jimmy olsen

Yeah, I don't think a beating's gonna bother someone hardcore enough to set himself on fire.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

That reminds me of the burgers and hot dogs I grilled today.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Alcibiades

Quote from: Caliga on March 17, 2011, 12:26:08 PM
They were trying to beat the flames out. :contract:

:hmm:
Within 15 minutes of the monk's self-immolation, police and plainclothes security officers turned up and extinguished the fire, but also beat and kicked the monk, Tsering said.

:huh:

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Caliga

He might have flared up again.  The Chinese are very good at disaster planning. :)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on March 17, 2011, 08:24:36 PM
He might have flared up again.  The Chinese are very good at disaster planning. :)

Plus they have all that salt to use.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on March 17, 2011, 08:24:36 PM

And fire drills.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

I never understood this type of protest.  If I'm on the other side, my thought is 'cool, one less to worry about'. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2011, 09:00:30 PM
I never understood this type of protest.  If I'm on the other side, my thought is 'cool, one less to worry about'.

It makes more sense if one believes in reincarnation.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I suspect it didn't impress the Chinese either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

The same side is encouraged and inspired. The act is a shining bacon of defiance.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.