A sleek lightweight laptop - NOT Apple?

Started by Valdemar, March 16, 2011, 04:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valdemar

I've been wondering lately if I should get a new laptop, powerful enough to run games, but not the highest FPS, more like strat and sim games (Fifa Manager 11)

I don't want another heavy laptop to lug around, so I started looking for lightweight, slim, and somewhat stylish ones.

I found an Acer called timeline, and noticed Sony has one Vaio, but only in 11 or 13" and extremely expensive.

Apart from Apple, which I can't get due to limitations in the buying rules at work, can anyone recommond laptops that can fulfill the same criteria re weight and designs that Apple seems to have monopolised lately?

V

viper37

I have a 17" Acer I quite like :)  I paid about 1000$ for it, and it comes with a Radeon Mobility 5xxx.  Decent enough to play Civ V.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

Just bought a Toshiba Satellite C650-BT2N13 that would seem to be about what you're looking for.  Radeon Mobility HD 4250 (basically an overclocked, low-power 3100) that lets me play even MMOs like Star Trek Online at medium graphics, I upped it to an Athlon II P360 2.3GHz and 4GB RAM, and to the touch, it weighs the same and is only slightly thicker than S' 2008 MacBook Pro.

15.6" screen at 16:9, BTW.

Oh, it's also got another thing that's very nice in comparison to the 2-year-old Satellite L505D-S5965 it was replacing- it doesn't get as hot.  I can actually have this thing on my lap, on the high power setting, without having to use a cooling tray.
Experience bij!

Warspite

I hate to say it but the last time I went shopping for a laptop, and I had exactly the same criteria as you (and included long battery life too). The only choice was a MacBook Pro.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Valdemar

Quote from: Warspite on March 17, 2011, 07:03:30 AM
I hate to say it but the last time I went shopping for a laptop, and I had exactly the same criteria as you (and included long battery life too). The only choice was a MacBook Pro.

Yeah, well, that is not an option. The acer timelines series might do it, but I think I have to see one in a store first

V

Lucidor

I have an older, plastic Timeline 1810 TZ, and I love it. I get around 9 hours, taking notes and not using the net which is crazy.

My graphics card GMA 4500 is too weak for gaming, but newer 3820 or above should be sufficient. They have metal chassis as well, and excellent battery.

DontSayBanana

Knew I'd forgotten something in my shill- roughly-5-hour battery life on low power settings. :P
Experience bij!