Unexpectedly, Navy’s Superlaser Blasts Away a Record

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2011, 11:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

How long until we get an infantry version of this "2000 feet of steel per second" laser?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Siege on April 09, 2011, 11:35:47 PM
How long until we get an infantry version of this "2000 feet of steel per second" laser?

Considering the generator technology hasn't shrunk to where it'd be feasible on a dedicated destroyer yet, it could be a while...
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: Siege on April 09, 2011, 11:35:47 PM
Never.  The infantry can't be trusted not to burn their own dicks off with that sort of shit.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Pat on April 09, 2011, 09:03:29 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 09, 2011, 11:11:26 AM
The laws of war were formulated before lasers, and military grade lasers are less prone to reflection, as they burn imperfect reflectors.

A bullet or shell will go for miles and miles, but we didn't ban those.
Less prone to reflection doesn't mean it wont burn the eyes of people looking at the dot. The laws of war are added to all the time, I looked it up and lasers are regulated under the 1980 Geneva convention on Certain Conventional Weapons (which prohibits the use of lasers to blind but allows laser weapons that can have it as a collateral effect).
Given that these sorts of multi-million dollar weapons are liable to be used against mudhuts, I don't think there's too much to worry about.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.