And we're back!

Main Menu

March Madness

Started by Admiral Yi, March 13, 2011, 02:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2011, 06:45:11 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 05, 2011, 06:42:42 AM
You talking about my boy Barclay at THE Ohio State?

Not sure.  You tell me.

Yep.

QuoteDevin Barclay (born April 9, 1983 in Annapolis, Maryland) is an amateur American football placekicker for The Ohio State Buckeyes. He was formerly a professional soccer player,[1] who last played for the Columbus Crew of Major League Soccer.

Also, Joe Bauserman of Ohio State used to play in the Pirates minor league system. Frankly, he sucks at both.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

Quote from: katmai on April 05, 2011, 06:16:39 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 05, 2011, 06:09:10 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but that must have been a hideous game.

Oh god yes.

What vacated titles? So far I don't know of any champion that has had to do so, but a few teams with Final Four Appearances and Runner ups (Michigan '92 & '93)

UMass had its 4-1 1996 NCAA Tournament record vacated when the NCAA discovered that UMass player Marcus Camby had accepted money and gifts from an agent

and

Memphis (On August 20, the NCAA ruled that Rose was ineligible and forced Memphis to vacate the entire 2007-08 season, including the NCAA Tournament and its standing as runner-up. It took the line that even though Rose's score had not been thrown out by the Educational Testing Service, which administers the SAT, until after the season, strict liability required that Rose be ruled ineligible. The committee also determined that even without the questions about his SAT score, he would have lost his eligibility in December 2007 due to his brother being allowed to travel with the team for free)

Apparently Dennis Dodd from CBS Sportsline asked Calipari what it was like to be in his first Final Four.   :D  I didn't catch the whole interview to hear Calipari's response.

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2011, 06:41:38 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 05, 2011, 06:39:20 AM
But that seems ridiculous to me. The guy was playing pro basketball in Europe before going to the US for university. I *could* understand wanting to implement hardcore amateurism during the college years, as backwards and disingenious as it seems to me, but punishing the player from something that happened before he played there seems ludicrous.

Being an amateur is like being a virgin.  It doesn't grow back.

Oddly enough though amateur status goes sport by sport.  Some college had a kicker who played for a while in pro fodbol before washing out.

Yep many 'amateur' football players have been professional baseball players before or during their college careers, including Heisman winner Chris Weinke.  Yet at the same time they wouldn't let Jeremy Bloom receive endorsement money so he could try and make the '06 Olympic skiing team.

katmai

Quote from: sbr on April 05, 2011, 07:26:24 AM

Yep many 'amateur' football players have been professional baseball players before or during their college careers, including Heisman winner Chris Weinke.  Yet at the same time they wouldn't let Jeremy Bloom receive endorsement money so he could try and make the '06 Olympic skiing team.

Well I think Weinke was like Jake Locker and most other guys who have signed baseball contracts and going to college on own dime, not receiving a scholarship from the school
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 02, 2011, 03:21:31 AM
Calipari and Calhoun under investigation again. <_<
scumbags

Thanks Neil :hug:

OMG, someone who was not on the special list of people allowed to phone recruits said he actually did pick up the phone and called someone!

Are the NCAA rules really that nuts?

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2011, 10:25:34 PM
:punk:  Big East = vindicated

Uhhh, no. UConn scraping their way to the championship doesn't excuse the other 10 teams that were supposedly so awesome choking.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sophie Scholl

There was also a couple issues with Big East on Big East violence.  When you factor that in, and the general crazy nature of this year's tournament, I think they handled themselves pretty well as a conference.  Of course, you've already made up your mind so this isn't directed at you so much as for others. :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Savonarola

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 05, 2011, 04:27:03 PM
There was also a couple issues with Big East on Big East violence.

The worst sort of violence.   :(

It goes on every day; Big East people should have a week where they just fight Pac-10 people.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Nobody is going to remember what the other 10 Big East teams did.  The fact a Big East team won the '11 Tournament is what will be remembered.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2011, 04:43:29 PM
Nobody is going to remember what the other 10 Big East teams did.  The fact a Big East team won the '11 Tournament is what will be remembered.

Not sure about that.  Wasnt this the first time this many teams from one conference made it to the dance.  I think their collective performance is going to weigh heavily against giving that much preference to a conference again.

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2011, 04:43:29 PM

True, the ignorant and shallow will only remember who won. Those of us with a little more sophisticated view can, however, still sit back and say "See, told you so...."
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned