Missouri Legislature Poised To Repeal Puppy Mill Cruelty Prevention Referendum

Started by jimmy olsen, March 13, 2011, 08:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Now that's cartoonish supervillany right there.

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/03/12/missouri-puppy-mill-repeal/

QuoteMissouri Legislature Poised To Repeal Puppy Mill Cruelty Prevention Referendum

For years, Missouri earned the dubious distinction as the nation's "puppy mill capital" because its lax humane regulations and enforcement allowed dog breeders to raise puppies at low costs in terrible, overcrowded conditions. Last fall, Missouri voters approved a referendum to finally solve this problem — the Puppy Mill Cruelty Prevention Act — which mandates regular veterinarian inspections of breeding facilities and ensures a basic level of treatment for dogs, such keeping temperatures between 45 and 85 degrees. Tea party groups stridently opposed the referendum, arguing it was "just another example of big government meddling in people's lives." Now, capitalizing on the big gains they made in November, Republicans in the state legislature are poised to repeal the regulations Missouri's voters enacted:

Saying the new requirements would put the dog breeding industry out of business, the state Senate voted 20-14 on Thursday for a wholesale rewrite.

On the cutting room floor: rules limiting kennels to 50 breeding dogs and requiring annual hands-on veterinary exams and larger, ground-level cages with access to the outdoors.

Instead, veterinarians would do walk-through inspections at least twice a year and provide exercise plans for dogs. Dogs could be confined in stacked cages so long as they had solid surfaces to lie on.

The bill still has to make it through the state House, and Gov. Jay Nixon (D) has not yet said whether he would sign or veto the bill. Editorializing against the state Senate vote, the Kansas City Star wrote that the "senators showed an arrogant disrespect for Missourians" who voted for better treatment of the animals. "The state legislature, held hostage to interests that regard dogs as just another form of livestock, has ignored the problems for years," the paper added.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

That regard dogs as just another kind of livestock?

Man, I hate animal rights lunatics.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

We had the same thing with conceal-and-carry.  It was beaten in a state referendum but the GOP in the legislature decided that it should be law anyway.  This was shortly after 9/11 and they felt the situation had changed.  In case a terrorist hijacked another jet, Missourians would be able to drive it off with concentrated handgun fire.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

JonasSalk

Yuman

Josquius

QuoteSaying the new requirements would put the dog breeding industry out of business, the state Senate voted 20-14 on Thursday for a wholesale rewrite.
Which would be good.
Doubt it would do that though.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on March 14, 2011, 06:09:10 AM
QuoteSaying the new requirements would put the dog breeding industry out of business, the state Senate voted 20-14 on Thursday for a wholesale rewrite.
Which would be good.
Doubt it would do that though.
:rolleyes:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 14, 2011, 06:15:44 AM
Missouri is South Carolina without the palmettos.

Also, no ocean and it snows.  It snowed just last night. :mad:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017