News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PC woes

Started by Maladict, March 11, 2011, 09:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Here we go again.  :(

PC boots really slowly, but only on cold startups. Occasional freezing and shutdowns.
Reinstalled windows 7, updated BIOS and all drivers, no change.
Discovered there's a bad block on the hdd, ran checkdisk which took about 12 hrs but the bad block seems to be gone.
Now, however, I've got about 50 atapi errors "detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2" which I've never seen before.
Boot lag and freezes are still there, too.

Why can't we all just get along?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Maladict on March 11, 2011, 09:44:16 AM
Here we go again.  :(

PC boots really slowly, but only on cold startups. Occasional freezing and shutdowns.
Reinstalled windows 7, updated BIOS and all drivers, no change.
Discovered there's a bad block on the hdd, ran checkdisk which took about 12 hrs but the bad block seems to be gone.
Now, however, I've got about 50 atapi errors "detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2" which I've never seen before.
Boot lag and freezes are still there, too.

Why can't we all just get along?

Can you boot and get to your system overview in Control Panel?
Experience bij!

Maladict

Sure, can't see anything out of the ordinary though.
Once it gets going it seems to be fine apart from the occasional freezing and continuing atapi errors.
I ran a test on the hdd which began to make distressing sounds but didn't turn up any problems.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Maladict on March 11, 2011, 11:49:59 AM
Sure, can't see anything out of the ordinary though.
Once it gets going it seems to be fine apart from the occasional freezing and continuing atapi errors.
I ran a test on the hdd which began to make distressing sounds but didn't turn up any problems.

What kind of sounds?  Clicking?  Whirring?
Experience bij!

Maladict

MadImmortalMan

Clicking would be worse. But any sound is bad.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Maladict

Seriously, at what point can you hand over a pc and demand your money back?
In one year, I've had the motherboard replaced 3 times, HDD 3 times, CPU and RAM once each.

Gonna make some backups now, once again.  :mad:

JonasSalk

Build your own?  I built mine three and a half years ago and the first part to go bad was the video card, which I replaced a week ago.
Yuman

DontSayBanana

Quote from: JonasSalk on March 11, 2011, 08:01:40 PM
Build your own?  I built mine three and a half years ago and the first part to go bad was the video card, which I replaced a week ago.

This.  Some prebuilts, especially Dell and HP, have got bad reps for not thoroughly enough stress-testing the components they use or (Dell was the only one guilty of this one, IIRC, but it was a doozy) actually putting components in that weren't fully compatible and writing feature-stripped custom drivers to get them to work together.
Experience bij!

Maladict

Heh, they replaced everything but the case this time.
Got the PSU upgrade I demanded, and a CPU and HDD upgrade I didn't ask for.
Here's to hoping it actually works this time.