And we're back!

Main Menu

Wireless adapters

Started by Caliga, March 11, 2011, 07:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on March 12, 2011, 06:13:25 AM
Update:

This morning I pulled the plug on my router and immediately pulled it back in, which strangely seemed to do a factory reset. :huh:

I had to reconfigure the PPPoE connection but for now I'm back in business.... I think I'll leave everything @ default for a little while just to see how the router behaves.  The houses here are very far apart so I'm not too worried about leaving the network unsecured.

Good to hear.  As for the immediate unplug, replug, it can happen that way- I'm not too familiar with the innards of a Linksys router, but the only reason you wait is to allow everything to discharge- since the router uses so much less power than a computer, I'd expect it not to take so much time to cool down (actually, come to think of it, even the big Motorola digital cable boxes only take 8-10 seconds before everything's flushed).
Experience bij!

Caliga

Well, in my case I didn't wait at all... I literally pulled the plug and then put it right back in.  The activity lights were only dark for a split-second.  But I guess that was enough...
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on March 12, 2011, 06:13:25 AM
Update:

This morning I pulled the plug on my router and immediately pulled it back in, which strangely seemed to do a factory reset. :huh:

I had DD-WRT do that to me once, and I had been having some weird network issues.  I wonder the software has something coded to trigger a factory reset if it's been borked.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Yeah, that's a good thought.  I double-checked that I have the most recent recommended version for the WRT350N (v24-SP2 08/07/10 mega) while I was at it.

This morning my adapter connected without needing a reboot when I turned the PC on, and I didn't have any dropped connections yesterday.  I guess I'll hold off on a new adapter for now.  I do think I want to go to a PCI-e card w/antenna eventually anyway, tho.  I assume it's got to be a faster connection.

DontSayBanana

You've got a peak transfer rate of 300MB/s with a Wireless-N device, so you're not likely to see any noticeable improvement in speed with a PCIe device; USB 2.0 is capable (on paper) of 480MB/s, while it typically hits a max effective speed around 320MB/s- either way, you're not likely to be using the full bandwidth without having a bunch of USB 2.0 devices transferring data on the same bus at the same time.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 14, 2011, 10:28:47 AM
You've got a peak transfer rate of 300MB/s with a Wireless-N device, so you're not likely to see any noticeable improvement in speed with a PCIe device; USB 2.0 is capable (on paper) of 480MB/s, while it typically hits a max effective speed around 320MB/s- either way, you're not likely to be using the full bandwidth without having a bunch of USB 2.0 devices transferring data on the same bus at the same time.

I think it's possible he might see a more reliable connection.  USB can be flaky on occasion, and it's always nice to have an external antenna, particularly when you can replace it with a bigger one.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Adapter is back to misbehaving.  One thing: I still have not reconfigured DD-WRT and I stupidly didn't back up my earlier config (which included things like MAC filters, QoS, etc.)  I plan on doing all of that this weekend.  If I'm still having issues, I'll have to conclude either the router or adapter needs replacing.  I really like my router, though (WRT-350N).

viper37

You should know that most Linksys routers, and D-Link as well, are known to overheat.

Although I have a small problem with my Linksys USB adapters, my router problems ended when I installed an air conditioning/heating system in the office to maintain temp between 16 C and 22 C.  Since then, I never had to reset my router.

You could try cooling the router with a small exterior fan, to see if it's better that way.

EDIT:  I also saw this:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6159
QuoteUse four empty 35mm film canisters with the lids removed. Place the  router's feet into the canisters to lift the router about two inches off  of the shelf or other surface. This extra room allows for both better  airflow.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Interesting... hadn't thought of that.  However, my main issue is with just this wireless connection, and 90% of the time it consists of the connection not working on system boot where I gotta do the whole unplug adapter then replug adapter trick.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2011, 05:00:03 PM
Interesting... hadn't thought of that.  However, my main issue is with just this wireless connection, and 90% of the time it consists of the connection not working on system boot where I gotta do the whole unplug adapter then replug adapter trick.
Try cooling the router first.  You will see how your USB adapter handles itslef then.  I know that since I solved my router issues, I only have problems with my USB adapter now, instead of all computers linked -wirelessly or not- to this router.  Just like you, I have to unplug the adapter and unplug it.  Annoying, but not critical as it's only my HTPC machine.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

I made a couple of changes to the router last night, including turning down the Tx power, and then I dusted it off.  This morning my PC booted and I didn't have to pull and replug the adapter to get a signal. :cool:

viper37

Do you still have problems with the USB adapter?  If found that disabling support for USB mouse in the computer BIOS solved my problem yesterday night.

Caliga

No, since I reconfigured my router I haven't had a single problem. :cool:

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on May 12, 2011, 09:20:29 AM
No, since I reconfigured my router I haven't had a single problem. :cool:
aside the TX power, what did you change?

My changes weren't successful :(

Caliga

I don't remember what else. :blush: