FAA: No more emergency oxygen in airplane lavatories

Started by jimmy olsen, March 10, 2011, 11:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: DGuller on March 11, 2011, 11:00:13 AM
I've been on buses with a bathroom.  It's quite an interesting challenge peeing in them.  You get constantly knocked around, so you have to keep aiming at a moving target (from your perspective), and constantly compensate.  You also have to aim with only one hand, because you need your other hand to hold onto the handle.

The seat keeps falling down too, so in addition to aiming, compensating, and one handing, you also need to hold the seat up with one knee as you try to maintain balance.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: alfred russel on March 11, 2011, 12:46:07 PM
I've been on buses with a bathroom.  It's quite an interesting challenge peeing in them.  You get constantly knocked around, so you have to keep aiming at a moving target (from your perspective), and constantly compensate.  You also have to aim with only one hand, because you need your other hand to hold onto the handle.

Josephus now can't imagine anything worse than the runs on a bus.

Yeah, that would be quite bad. the trouble with pooping on a bus too, is that the air circulates through the bus, so everyone can smell what you've been up to.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DGuller

Quote from: Josephus on March 11, 2011, 01:09:57 PM

The seat keeps falling down too, so in addition to aiming, compensating, and one handing, you also need to hold the seat up with one knee as you try to maintain balance.
Hold the seat up?  Please.  :rolleyes:

Warspite

I thought the oxygen flow had to be specifically activated from the cockpit, so I would have presumed that a terrorist ripping open the ceiling cavity wouldn't exactly have access to a ready-made flamethrower.

Unless the dastardly terrorists punctured the fuselage first, and then made their way to the crapper... :hmm:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Iormlund

You don't need to do it from the cockpit. A computer could easily activate a series of electro-valves in case of loss of pressure. But yeah, it doesn't make sense to have the oxygen flowing until something happens.

Josephus

Quote from: DGuller on March 11, 2011, 01:19:24 PM
Quote from: Josephus on March 11, 2011, 01:09:57 PM

Hold the seat up?  Please.  :rolleyes:

And that's why I'll never take a crap on a bus/plane/ public washroom. I pity women.

The Brain

Quote from: Josephus on March 11, 2011, 01:11:06 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 11, 2011, 12:46:07 PM

Josephus now can't imagine anything worse than the runs on a bus.

Yeah, that would be quite bad. the trouble with pooping on a bus too, is that the air circulates through the bus, so everyone can smell what you've been up to.

"-Mommy, it smells funny!

-That's sperm, dear."

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

sbr

Quote from: Josephus on March 11, 2011, 09:52:07 AM
One of my biggest fears is having the runs on a plane. I can't think of anything more horrible than that.

Being in the middle seat at the time?

Viking

great, now you can smoke there without risking blowing up the plane.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josephus

Quote from: sbr on March 11, 2011, 08:14:16 PM
One of my biggest fears is having the runs on a plane. I can't think of anything more horrible than that.

Beside a fat person you have to climb over.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: sbr on March 11, 2011, 08:14:16 PM

This happened on my first flight to Korea.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point