MadImmortalMan

Mind if I repost that on pdox Minsky?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

I don't intend to assert any copyright rights in my anonymous internet postings.   :)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 01, 2011, 04:04:18 PM
I don't intend to assert any copyright rights in my anonymous internet postings.   :)

Communist.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 01, 2011, 03:56:32 PMNow imagine you are a German central banker or Chancellor and contemplating the possibility of an influx of Italian or Spanish deposits.  Seems real nice for Germany . . . unless of course Italy/Spain ditches the Euro.  Then you have an inflationary disaster scenario on your hands as Spaniards and Italians now have massive Euro denominated claims which can be used to purchase German goods and assets, but in return the German banking system now only has claims on Italian banks that are denominated in depreciated new peseta and lira (assuming they are collectible at all).  Since imposing capital controls would breach EU rules, the only surefire protection against this scenario is if Germany pre-emptively exits the Euro itself before this can all play out.
Germany is probably the biggest beneficiary of the status quo though, so it has very little incentive to destroy that status quo.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zanza on December 01, 2011, 04:26:55 PM
Germany is probably the biggest beneficiary of the status quo though, so it has very little incentive to destroy that status quo.

it has no incentive to do so, unless it believes that the status quo will be broken anyways, and on terms much less favorable to it than if it is the one dictating the terms of the breakup.  That's what makes this a potential prisoner's dilemma problem.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 01, 2011, 03:56:32 PM
If things get tough, the Italians may decide they are better off exiting the Euro and paying off their debt in depreciated lira AND getting the side benefit of an export boom. 

Then you have an inflationary disaster scenario on your hands as Spaniards and Italians now have massive Euro denominated claims which can be used to purchase German goods and assets, but in return the German banking system now only has claims on Italian banks that are denominated in depreciated new peseta and lira (assuming they are collectible at all).

First of all, I don't see how a borrower in an exiting state gets to redenominate its debt.  I can't borrow 100 euros from you and pay you back in baht.

Second of all, it's not as if demand for lira and peseta zone goods and services is going to disappear because of the flight to the center.  A business man in Madrid is not going to drive to the Pyrenees every day to get his breakfast just because he's holding large euro balances offshore.

Iormlund

The borrower doesn't get to redenominate its debt. The state will do it for him, just as it will redenominate whatever savings it can get tis hands on.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on December 01, 2011, 04:49:35 PM
The borrower doesn't get to redenominate its debt. The state will do it for him, just as it will redenominate its savings.

I'm not sure that's possible.  You owe me 100 euro, and tomorrow the Spanish government tells me you owe me 100 pesetas?

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2011, 04:52:37 PM
The borrower doesn't get to redenominate its debt. The state will do it for him, just as it will redenominate its savings.

I'm not sure that's possible.  You owe me 100 euro, and tomorrow the Spanish government tells me you owe me 100 pesetas?

If the Spanish goverment doesn't do that, the country goes broke within hours. And I don't mean the central government. I mean everyone. What chances do you think a small business or your average guy has to pay back a loan or mortgage denominated in strong Euros while earning weak New Pesetas?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2011, 04:52:37 PM

Of course it's possible.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on December 01, 2011, 04:55:53 PM
If the Spanish goverment doesn't do that, the country goes broke within hours. And I don't mean the central government. I mean everyone. What chances do you think a small business or your average guy has to pay back a loan or mortgage denominated in strong Euros while earning weak New Pesetas?

Less than 1.

Beeb: what do you base your answer on?  I've never heard of this happening before.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2011, 04:42:47 PM
First of all, I don't see how a borrower in an exiting state gets to redenominate its debt. 

A sovereign borrower gets to if the legislature says so and if the bonds are issued under local law (almost all eurozone bonds are).

QuoteSecond of all, it's not as if demand for lira and peseta zone goods and services is going to disappear because of the flight to the center.  A business man in Madrid is not going to drive to the Pyrenees every day to get his breakfast just because he's holding large euro balances offshore.

Demand will not disappear, it will just go down by a significant degree.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Wait a minute, in one of the BeetMasters threads there was something about Hungary unilaterally redenominating Swiss franc mortgages into Hungarian cooties, wasn't there?

The Minsky Moment

It gets more complicated if a purely private debt is at issue.

In that case the leglisature can declare the new currency legal tender for all debts effective immediately and with retroactive effect; barring constitutional challenge, that pretty much ends the matter for all purely domestic debt and probably all cross-border transactions under domestic law.

For foreign law cross-border transactions, the creditor can enforce the original terms overseas; but if the debtor has no property outside the exiting country, as a practical matter that judgment will be hard to enforce against him.
--Joan Robinson