And we're back!

Main Menu

Sovereign debt bubble thread

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 10, 2011, 02:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Neil on November 27, 2011, 09:01:41 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 27, 2011, 08:24:49 PM
That and the inflation large-scale government spending would entail can save me personally. :P

But what else could help the U.S.?  Besides a monarchy, Neil.
Hard to say.  A profound cultural shift would be required.

In pretty much the entire free world. Not likely, IMO.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 28, 2011, 12:35:40 PM
QuoteAnother interpretation is that it was the maximum it could agree on without being ripped apart by internal political divisions.
I would note that her ability to go a bit further always seems a bit greater immediately after regional elections.
Yes, but that's not really contradictionary, is it? Of course a politician has more leeway after than before an election.

QuoteAs it stands I think if Europe fails it will be, above all, Merkel's fault which would be a damning failure for a successor (in office and party) of Adenauer.
The perception in Germany is different, so the party of Adenauer won't fault her.

QuoteIncidentally on past Chancellors I've been wondering how Schroeder's perceived?  Given how much people are linking Germany's recent economic success with the Hartz agenda is his time in office being re-evaluated, or not so much?
Not sure. My impression is that his esteem is rising among many.

QuoteI don't just mean the press though.  Though you're right there's a consensus from the Guardian to the Economist on that.  Even the Telegraph spends half its time relishing the end of the EU and the other, saner half, fretting about whether it'll be safe in the end.  But it's more than the press I mean people like Stephen King, who's head economist of HSBC, economists and asset managers who are commenting.
It's not just the press here either, but various economists etc. too.

Iormlund

It's interesting to see how in both Spanish and now also main OT fora at Paradox there is growing interest on how to take savings out of our government's reach. That's not a good sign.

The Larch

Quote from: Iormlund on November 29, 2011, 06:02:56 PM
It's interesting to see how in both Spanish and now also main OT fora at Paradox there is growing interest on how to take savings out of our government's reach. That's not a good sign.

Because plenty of people are a bunch of histerics.

Iormlund

Maybe. But quite frankly, I'd say breakup of the EZ is now the most likely scenario. I can't see enough political will to keep it together.

DGuller

How much of a clusterfuck would that be?  And would it be for the better in the long term?

The Larch

Quote from: DGuller on November 29, 2011, 06:32:08 PM
How much of a clusterfuck would that be?  And would it be for the better in the long term?

A humongous one, which I don't think that people advocating for an euro split are completely aware of.

Iormlund

There is a UBS study about a single country exiting the EZ voluntarily I read sometime ago, but I have no idea how good its conclusions are.

IIRC it predicted a loss of something like 20 to 30% GDP in the first year and single digits afterwards for Germany, up to 50% GDP collapse during the first year and a third of that from then on for a weak member.

DGuller

Quote from: Iormlund on November 29, 2011, 06:45:38 PM
There is a UBS study about a single country exiting the EZ voluntarily I read sometime ago, but I have no idea how good its conclusions are.

IIRC it predicted a loss of something like 20 to 30% GDP in the first year and single digits afterwards for Germany, up to 50% GDP collapse during the first year and a third of that from then on for a weak member.
:o Heil Merkel? :unsure:

MadImmortalMan

If Germany left, I assume. Portugal certainly wouldn't cause all that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Iormlund

That's the effect on each economy if that particular country left the Euro. Then there would also be effects on other countries.

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 29, 2011, 06:55:08 PM
If Germany left, I assume. Portugal certainly wouldn't cause all that.
The report's here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/64020390/xrm45126
One of their interesting points is that generally curency breakups also involve authoritarian regimes or civil wars.

But if you think about it the consequences would be catastrophic. 

Many countries would default on domestic debt, or see that debt effectively devalued due to conversion.  That would almost certainly cause a collapse of the banking system in Europe - probably in the UK and possibly in the US too (and you've banned bailouts).  The conversion and exchange rate fluctuations would be totally unexpected and difficult to predict - no institution's really prepared for them.

In addition there's all the legal questions of how to redenominate every single contract of the last 10 years - Nomura's produced a paper on this.  (Edit:  I think Nomura's also produced a paper advising investors how to try and do well out of a Eurocollapse - which surely is a bad sign.)

This is the OECD on a potential exit from the Euro following sovereign default: "[T]he political fall-out would be dramatic and pressures for euro area exit could be intense ... Such turbulence in Europe, with the massive wealth destruction, bankruptcies and a collapse in confidence in European integration and co-operation would most likely result in a deep depression in both the exiting and remaining euro area countries as well as in the world economy." 

The OECD doesn't normally use that sort of language.  There's war-gaming of Eurocollapse in Whitehall but we just had the independent economic forecasts or the year last year.  The Office behind it effectively said that they couldn't guess at what the consequences of a Euro break down would be, it's just a significant down side risk.

As I've said, in my view, the collapse of the Euro would almost certainly lead to the collapse of the EU (that's why the Polish Foreign Minister made an extraordinary plea in Berlin yesterday).

All of this is assuming a disorderly exit though.  That seems the most likely kind of Eurocollapse we'll see but I think some managed exits may not be nearly as bad, but who can say.

QuoteBecause plenty of people are a bunch of histerics.
Possibly.  Both BNP Paribas and Citi have observed in recent days a shift in corporates withdrawing money from Italy, Spain, France and Belgium and moving it to the core or outside the Eurozone - Scandinavia's popular.  It's not significant or a run at this point but it's a worrying trend given the stress banks are already under and if it grows it could be very significant.

Edit:
This is also relevant:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-28/mounting-euro-breakup-risk-seen-by-banks-as-debt-crisis-festers.html
Not to mention the head of Fitch's sovereign rating department saying investors are questioning the validity of the entire Eurosystem and the Eurobanks are getting antsy:
QuoteUpdate 08:57: There was a big jump in what eurozone banks deposited at the European Central Bank last night to just under 300bn euros - which shows that they're even more fearful than they were of lending to each other.

The increase over the past fortnight in what they are placing at the ECB is more than 100bn euros.

Eurozone banks are opting for the security of lending to the central bank at a paltry interest rate over earning a proper return by putting their money to work. It shows how anxious they are.

And it also shows that parts of the eurozone are close to a credit crunch, if not already in one.
Again I think a lot of the problems here are ones of confidence and liquidity.  No-one's going to buy any sovereign debt in this market.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: Iormlund on November 29, 2011, 06:45:38 PM

Good God.  Jews should probably start making their arrangements.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 30, 2011, 12:35:18 AM
All of this is assuming a disorderly exit though.  That seems the most likely kind of Eurocollapse we'll see but I think some managed exits may not be nearly as bad, but who can say.

I can't see how an orderly exit is even remotely realistic. As soon as rumors of negotiations were heard massive bank runs would take place.

Sheilbh

This was unexpected:
QuoteBreaking news -- six of the world's central banks have just announced a co-ordinated move to boost liquidity in the world's financial system -- an attempt to avoid a new credit crunch.

Just hitting the wires now. The emergency measure involves the Federal Reserve, the European Central Bank, the Bank of England, the Bank of Japan, the Bank of Canada and the Swiss Central Bank. They are all cutting the interest rates on 'dollar swaps', which will effectively make it cheaper for commercial banks to get access to dollars.

The six central banks also said they could expand the move to other currencies if needed.

The move has sent stock markets surging, with the FTSE 100 now up 146 points.

More very soon.
Follow-up:
QuoteThe unexpected co-ordination announced by the world's major central banks has been prompted by the crisis in Europe. Analysts have warned in recent weeks that some of Europe's banks were struggling to access funding, on fears of a disorderly default within the eurozone.

In practice, the Federal Reserve sends dollars over to the European Central Bank, in return for euros. By cutting the cost of that transaction (the 'dollar swap rate'), the move should make it much cheaper for European banks to access dollars.

America isn't actually paying the bill to fix Europe's banks, of course -- the Federal Reserve is swapping greenbacks for euros. But, as Bloomberg put it, "the US is helping to fix the crisis in Europe."
But there'll be more coming.  This is only the last hour or so.
Let's bomb Russia!