News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sovereign debt bubble thread

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 10, 2011, 02:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

So how fucked is the world?

The Euro's collapsing on itself, the Chinese bubble is set to deflate and the US is not righting itself either... what's going to happen? Will the Brazillians take over?

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on November 27, 2011, 06:09:09 PM

The Euro's collapsing on itself, the Chinese bubble is set to deflate and the US is not righting itself either... what's going to happen? Will the Brazillians take over?
How could they?  Latin America can't lead the world.  We'll all just have to get used to having less.  Our children will envy us, and the world bill descend into a permanent poverty, which will continue through to the eventual extinction of the species.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 27, 2011, 06:01:21 PM
OK, how could Germany have allayed investor doubt without exposing itself to catastrophic liability?

It would have been cheaper even to bail out Greece, killing any uncertainty in the markets, than any half measure Merkel is bound to take now. And certainly much cheaper than the global recession we're about to experience.

Neil

Quote from: Iormlund on November 27, 2011, 06:29:45 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 27, 2011, 06:01:21 PM
OK, how could Germany have allayed investor doubt without exposing itself to catastrophic liability?
It would have been cheaper even to bail out Greece, killing any uncertainty in the markets, than any half measure Merkel is bound to take now. And certainly much cheaper than the global recession we're about to experience.
Would the uncertainty around Spain and Italy still exist?  After all, those countries will never be able to put their house in order.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

America will eventually get better.  Even if everything else failed, we could always enslave the entire planet.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on November 27, 2011, 06:38:02 PM

America will eventually get better.  Even if everything else failed, we could always enslave the entire planet.
You guys don't have the courage, nor the work ethic, nor the superior morality.

KRonn

Quote from: Neil on November 27, 2011, 06:28:58 PM

How could they?  Latin America can't lead the world.  We'll all just have to get used to having less.  Our children will envy us, and the world bill descend into a permanent poverty, which will continue through to the eventual extinction of the species.
We're doomed....    :unsure:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on November 27, 2011, 06:29:45 PM

Possibly, if you assume that everyone elses' problems are solely a function of "contagion" and have nothing to do with fundamentals.

You're also overlooking the moral hazard.  If lenders know that Germany is going to pick up the tab in case of default they'll keep on lending to deadbeats, and deadbeats will keep on borrowing.

Grallon

Troy will burn is what will happen.  :rolleyes:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Admiral Yi

Brazil is surging right now on a commodity bubble financed by the Chinese.  If Chinese demand goes so does Brazil.

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on November 27, 2011, 06:38:02 PMAmerica will eventually get better.

What's the source of your certainty?

Jacob

Quote from: Grallon on November 27, 2011, 07:16:10 PMTroy will burn is what will happen.  :rolleyes:

I'm not overly concerned about a pile of ruins in Asia Minor, nor about a number of small towns in the US named by classics enthusiasts.

Admiral Yi

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 27, 2011, 07:17:42 PMBrazil is surging right now on a commodity bubble financed by the Chinese.  If Chinese demand goes so does Brazil.

Yeah, I didn't figure Brazil would be able to do it on their own. In a similar vein, Canada, Australia and Russia (not to mention various African economies) are probably set for hard times should the Chinese start deflating.

So is that the prognosis right now? We're looking at global stagnation for the foreseeable future?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 27, 2011, 07:24:31 PMAlways has before.

So you share Ide's certainty? What would you say are the unchanged fundamentals that are the source of the US being able to pick itself up again? What are the biggest question marks, in your opinion?

It looks to me that there are some structural issues that it would be good to address, and the political climate seems fairly dysfunctional at present. But perhaps it's no worse than it's been at other times?

I mean, I hope you guys are right since that certainly is better for Canada and me personally.