And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

From the Paradox forums

Quote from: Herbert West;17793582Yeah:(

The only reason I did not burn my passport is that I dont have any other.

If this guy gets re-election time to kick hungary out of the liberal western organizations of EU and NATO.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

Speaking of NATO, that's always something that gets me about Russian claims that NATO is expanding aggressively into the East: NATO doesn't pressure people into joining, people join voluntarily. Unlike the Russian sphere which involves a fair amount of bullying to do as Moscow says.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2014, 01:43:07 PM
Yeah sounds like the problem there was you. :hug:

Could have been the translation.  Verse is notoriously hard to get right.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 29, 2014, 02:06:48 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2014, 01:43:07 PM
Yeah sounds like the problem there was you. :hug:

Could have been the translation.  Verse is notoriously hard to get right.

The rest of the post helped to indicate where his head was at - so even if that was the case...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2014, 02:06:16 PM
Speaking of NATO, that's always something that gets me about Russian claims that NATO is expanding aggressively into the East: NATO doesn't pressure people into joining, people join voluntarily. Unlike the Russian sphere which involves a fair amount of bullying to do as Moscow says.

Everything Russia says is a lie, and usually one so self-evidently untrue as to be hilarious.  The only sad thing, now as back in the old days, are all the idiots who give it any credence at all.  And man there are a lot.  How stupid can you be?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Viking on July 29, 2014, 01:59:54 PM
From the Paradox forums

Quote from: Herbert West;17793582Yeah:(

The only reason I did not burn my passport is that I dont have any other.

If this guy gets re-election time to kick hungary out of the liberal western organizations of EU and NATO.

That does seem to be a compelling reason not to burn the passport.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2014, 02:08:08 PM
The rest of the post helped to indicate where his head was at - so even if that was the case...

Well, someone's all serious today.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2014, 02:48:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2014, 02:08:08 PM

Well, someone's all serious today.

Not really.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Is it normal for a NATO member country to be visited by a high ranked Chinese military officer who does talks with the defense ministry?  :huh:

Syt

Oh?

http://en.itar-tass.com/russia/745284

QuoteHungary's arms supplies to Kiev violate Budapest's legal obligations - RF Foreign Ministry

MOSCOW, August 16 /ITAR-TASS/. Hungary's arms supplies to Kiev are violating Budapest's legal obligations in conventional arms exports, Russian Foreign Ministry said on Friday.

The comments followed reports in the Hungarian online newspaper Hidfo.Net which claimed the Hungarian Defense Ministry was using an "authorized agency" to deliver armored vehicles, including T-72 tanks, to Ukraine.

The Russian Foreign Ministry noted that arms exports, if such were taking place, were violating the EU common position, which obliges the EU states not to export products capable of causing or aggravating armed conflicts and see that a recipient country observes international humanitarian law.

Arms exports to Ukraine are also breaching the international Arms Trade Treaty (ATT), the Russian Foreign Ministry went on to say. The document forbids arms transfers to parties in conflict if there is a probability that the weapons can be used for committing genocide and crimes against humanity.

"We assume that in the light of Kiev's indisputable and fragrant violations of the rules of applying weapons in internal conflicts any additional comments would be unnecessary," the Russian Foreign Ministry said.

"We would like to ask our colleagues in the European Union one simple question: what was the purpose of pushing multilateral commitments in control over arms transfers so actively, if they are violating them so cynically?" the Russian Foreign Ministry said in conclusion.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Uh oh. Trouble in the Putin-dise.

Martinus

Hey Tamas, I read recently an interview with a Polish poli sci expert (so: someone who potentially talks out of his ass) and he said that Hungary has whole areas/pockets of abject, "Burma-style" (his expression, not mine) poverty, and that got worse under Orban.

True or false?

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2014, 09:55:42 AM
Hey Tamas, I read recently an interview with a Polish poli sci expert (so: someone who potentially talks out of his ass) and he said that Hungary has whole areas/pockets of abject, "Burma-style" (his expression, not mine) poverty, and that got worse under Orban.

True or false?

I am pretty sure its not Burma style but there are seriously poor areas of the country (north-east and east mostly) which are in a horribly hopeless situation compared to an EU country.

KRonn

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2014, 01:18:59 AM
Uh oh. Trouble in the Putin-dise.

Lol, and of course, no mention in that Russian article of the EU rules and laws that Putin is violating? 

Tamas

Corruption is on a totally incredible rate.

Orban's previous finance minister, Gyorgy "Hungarians and Japanese are related because their newborns have red spots on their buttocks" Matolcsy has been Central Bank president for a while now.

Central Bank buying all kinds of super-expensive buildings and such has been common since then.

But the latest thing is...

The entire allocation for higher education in the Hungarian budget is about 197 billion forints. Divide by roughly 310 to get it in euros.

Now, apparently, the Central Bank has spent 200 billion forint of its own assets on 5, freshly created "education foundations" meant to educate finance professionals.
Yes, that is more than all the official higher education spending combined.

What makes it even more interesting is that the entire capital of the Central Bank is a bit more than 400 billion. So obviously they didn't spend it from there.

Which means they had to print money just for this purpose. Which means that with this they have increased the total monetary base of the country by 5% without notifying anyone or offering any explanation, except to finance their own extremely shady "foundations".

:huh: