And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Norgy on July 29, 2014, 07:57:45 AM
I'm sure he'll get the other, non-liberal brand instead, Tamas.  :hug:

The (struggling and dying) opposition is trying to make a big deal out of this quotes of course, and the online world is in upheaval over it, but by and large the population seems utterly content/resigned to the fact that the democratically elected Prime Minister declares that he wants to ditch democracy.

Oh wait, no, the green party's leader, who always poses as the fresh modern alternative on the left, kind of agreed with him.
Then again he had some blurry ties to Orban's party before he rose out of nothingness to form this green party, and was instrumental in torpedoing any kind of across-the-board opposition alliance against Orban in this year's election, so maybe that is not so surprising.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on July 29, 2014, 06:01:28 AM
QuoteHe listed Russia, Turkey and China as examples of “successful” nations, “none of which is liberal and some of which aren’t even democracies.”

Three of the more corrupt nations in the world.  I guess he knows how to take care of his peeps anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

As a fun aside, the Turkish deputy PM suggested that women shouldn't be laughing in public, for it's immodest, and makes them less virtuous. Also, they shouldn't show their attractiveness. Instead they should read the Quran. And the guys, too.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on July 29, 2014, 08:01:29 AM
Oh wait, no, the green party's leader, who always poses as the fresh modern alternative on the left, kind of agreed with him.
Then again he had some blurry ties to Orban's party before he rose out of nothingness to form this green party, and was instrumental in torpedoing any kind of across-the-board opposition alliance against Orban in this year's election, so maybe that is not so surprising.

Interesting.  The "sham party" thing is an old east bloc trick. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

It is amazing to me to see the Hungarians embracing the Russians.  I mean how much murder and oppression can those people take before they figure out that the Russians maybe are not their friends?  'Screw you Poland and the rest of you supposed 'friends' of ours.  We know a nation who has always been eager to save Hungary from liberalism.  Russia.  They did it in 1849 and they can do it again.'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zanza

And Angela Merkel is still in the EPP as a political ally of Orban. :(

garbon

Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2014, 12:30:39 PM
As a fun aside, the Turkish deputy PM suggested that women shouldn't be laughing in public, for it's immodest, and makes them less virtuous. Also, they shouldn't show their attractiveness. Instead they should read the Quran. And the guys, too.

Ugh.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

The Quran is only 6,000 versus.  I think I could get through it in a day or two.  What then?  Is there a sequel?

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 29, 2014, 01:07:10 PM
The Quran is only 6,000 versus.  I think I could get through it in a day or two.  What then?  Is there a sequel?

Well presumably you should continue to read it. Unless you somehow are gifted enough to understand it fully after one pass. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

There are thousands of hadiths that could read after having finished the Quran.

derspiess

I tried to read it a while back but gave up after a few pages.  Maybe it was a rough translation, but it all seemed a bit disjointed and rambling, and failed to keep my attention.  Maybe I should have sought out the equivalent of a children's illustrated bible like what they gave us in Sunday School.  With pretty pictures of The Prophet beating up his 12 year old wives & whatnot.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2014, 01:42:34 PM

I tried to read it a while back but gave up after a few pages.  Maybe it was a rough translation, but it all seemed a bit disjointed and rambling, and failed to keep my attention.  Maybe I should have sought out the equivalent of a children's illustrated bible like what they gave us in Sunday School.  With pretty pictures of The Prophet beating up his 12 year old wives & whatnot.

Yeah sounds like the problem there was you. :hug:

Tamas

Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2014, 01:42:34 PM

I have read that there is an insame amount of literature on people trying to understand what the Quran actually meant to mean. As I understand the real literary meat are the hadiths, which are direct quotes from Mohammed who, in his eternal wisdom, talked about a big bunch of stuff, like how everyday matters should be settled in the society of Egypt several hundred years after his death, and the like.

Syt

I think it used to be a ticket out of jail if you memorized the whole Quran.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2014, 01:43:07 PM
Yeah sounds like the problem there was you. :hug:

I'll admit I was part of the problem.