News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

not too long ago, the government has decided on forming a kind of historical institute dedicated to researching and maintaining a "proper historical picture" about our nation`s history.

The freshly appointed leader of this new institution had some views to share, in order to explain what their job is:

in his opinion it is important to declare things like:

-white terror in the 1920s was a reaction to something, and had only a few hundred victims instead of the thousands claimed

-the members of the communist party in Hungary in the 1920-40s were member of the international communist organization, as such they were foreign spies and so their treatment (prison, execution, white terroring etc), was legal and prudent

-the Hungarian jews only started to suffer big losses after the German occupation of Hungary in 1944. In his opinion, the first deportation from Hungary which happened in 1941 were merely "according to alien law" ("idegenrendeszet" is like the arm of law dealing with illegal aliens, I guess alien law is the best translation).

:wacko:

Agelastus

Quote from: Tamas on January 17, 2014, 06:41:25 AM
-the Hungarian jews only started to suffer big losses after the German occupation of Hungary in 1944. In his opinion, the first deportation from Hungary which happened in 1941 were merely "according to alien law" ("idegenrendeszet" is like the arm of law dealing with illegal aliens, I guess alien law is the best translation).

I must be missing something here; that's the standard western narrative of Hungary during the Holocaust - that Horthy refused to allow Jewish deportations until Germany's military occupation of Hungary so that the vast majority of Hungary's jews were still alive in the Spring of 1944.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Tamas

Quote from: Agelastus on January 17, 2014, 09:51:09 AM

I must be missing something here; that's the standard western narrative of Hungary during the Holocaust - that Horthy refused to allow Jewish deportations until Germany's military occupation of Hungary so that the vast majority of Hungary's jews were still alive in the Spring of 1944.

Well, that referenced 1941 incident was an exception to that, and the scandal (well, nobody cared, so there wasn`t any) was that this guy referenced the deportation of Hungarian citizens as an issue related to alien law. Ergo in his mind Jewish Hungarians are not Hungarians.

At any rate, there had been "jew laws" in effect from either the late 20s or mid 30s, I cannot remember, highly discriminating them in all areas of life.
"Labour Duty" units made of jews and political prisoners were constant accompaniers of the army units since `41 as I recall, used for various tasks, from building stuff, digging trenches, and clearing minefields.

So painting the Horthy era as some Jewish sanctum is quite overstretching it.

Valmy

Quote from: Agelastus on January 17, 2014, 09:51:09 AM

While true, my standard western narrative mentioned thousands of Jews dying from forced labor under Horthy's regime.

Granted compared to the Nazis they seem soft and cuddly but on an absolute sense enslaving and working people to death is not exactly admirable.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

The Austrian agricultural minister is pissed off. Hungary wants to introduce new legislation that will make it very difficult for foreigners to buy agricultural land in Hungary (- IIRC, if agricultural land goes up for sale, the first right of purchase is for other local Hungarian) farmers, then local communes, then the state, then (theoretically) foreigners.

Under certain rules, foreigners who bought/leased land between 1994 and 2001 could lose the rights to it. There are 200 Austrian farmers who have the rights to 200k hectare land in Hungary, obtained after 1994. During the time (Tamas, correct me if wrong) Hungary was looking for foreign investors to boost the agricultural output.

The Austrian minister wants to discuss the issue with his Hungarian colleague, but he keeps brushing him off. "It's a Hungarian matter, that will be dealt with by Hungary." Besides, he doesn't want to talk to someone who keeps insulting Hungary (the minister has been in office for a few weeks only, and I could find nothing about the supposed "insults".)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Austria should send a corps into Hungary to protect the interests of Austrian citizens.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

The thing is that the Hungarian government that a lot of the contracts were designed to get around the "don't sell to foreigners" clause in the laws - by granting a life long lease with up front payment.

However, the Hungarian constitutional court has ruled them legal (or so Austrian media say).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on January 20, 2014, 04:09:17 PM

However, the Hungarian constitutional court has ruled them legal

Which means they are worse than Hitler.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on January 20, 2014, 04:18:19 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 20, 2014, 04:09:17 PM

However, the Hungarian constitutional court has ruled them legal

Which means they are worse than Hitler.

Is The Brain paving the way for a Habsburg-led Austrian Anschluss with Hungary ?

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, Parliament will vote on the massive agreement with Russia on building our new nucular power plant. The details of the financial analysis of the deal have been made state secret for 10 years, so the MPs can`t actually know what they are agreeing to, but of course they will agree to it none the less.

The actual bill that takes care of this basically hints at a blank cheque handed to Putin - we will commit ourselves while declaredly having no established terms on the insane loan granted by Russia, or the price of the power plant. One of the "big things" about the deal was that the Russians would also take care of the nuclear waste, well it turns out they will storage it for 20 years but according to the wording of the  bill, they will be able to just ship it back to us after that and we will have to take it back.
Also, a "Russian Selected Comity" whatever that means, will need to agree to the price of the electricity sold by the power plant.

In other words, Orban is bending down for the soap for Putin and the public has no idea whatsoever on why exactly.

My guess is that he is looking for a protector and supporter for the time he leaves the EU around 2010 or so.

Neil

Quote from: Tamas on February 04, 2014, 06:08:34 AM
My guess is that he is looking for a protector and supporter for the time he leaves the EU around 2010 or so.
Hungary can into time travel?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

:D I keep thinking its 2004. I meant 2020, obviously

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on February 04, 2014, 06:08:34 AM

We will all remember this time as the era Hungary almost joined the Western world.  Will this mean he can close his borders and stop Tamas from trying to leave the country?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."