News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Orban said on a meeting with the leaders of the commerce and industry association, that he wants a new business model for utility services, switching them to a "non-profit" model.

He said no details of course. Just their usual way of dropping a bomb and then refusing to detail it. Probably because they have no detailed idea about it, just want to see how people react.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on July 17, 2012, 01:58:31 AMHowever, I am not sure I like to have a big international deal made out of the whole stalling business. I mean, just recently, the Irish high court denied the extradiction of an Irish scumbag who killed two Hungarian children with his car while in the country, and fled back home from the sentence. If EU law is fine with that, they should be fine with whatever shady stalling the Hungarians do as well.

:huh:

Tamas

well two more things about that

1) I am still pissed that we can jail the Irish motherfucker who thought they can speed around the roads here with impunity, and was proven right by his country and the EU.

2) I have red after this Csatary guy and boy was he a cruel bastard. I only followed this case vaguely, based on mainstream news reporting. They fail to emphasize the cruel bastard part.
Fucking scum, worthy of harrassment even at 97.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on July 18, 2012, 03:40:40 AM
1) I am still pissed that we can jail the Irish motherfucker who thought they can speed around the roads here with impunity, and was proven right by his country and the EU.

English, motherfucker, do you speak it?

Also, do you know that he has not been prosecuted in Ireland?

Sheilbh

The Irish guy killed two girls by driving dangerously. He went back to Ireland and was prosecuted and sentenced in absentia. The Hungarians applied for an EAW to make him swerve his sentence. Under Irish law he needed to have 'fled' and the court decided he hadn't (he'd cooperated throughout etc). This causes a scandal in Ireland and it was argued they'd misinterpreted EU law when implementing the EAW system. So the Dail changed the law and the Hungarians re-applied.

The High Court said he could be deported, the Supreme Court said he couldn't having successfully defended himself the old time. The state couldn't just change the law until they get the right answer.

Sad case, but based on what I've read the Supreme Court seems right.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

they weren't "right". He didn't defend himself successfully where it matters, ie. in Hungary. The decision made in Ireland was a mere administrative technicality compared to that.
They just wanted to save an Irishman from Hungarian prison.

[Martinus]I hope he hits and kills a couple of irish children as well[/Martinus]

Sheilbh

He defended himself from extradition under Irish law. For me the decision seems right from a rule of law perspective, even if it's unsatisfactory in this case. I think you're a bit paranoid on the motives. My understanding is that the Irish state supported the Hungarian case both times, they changed the law and the High Court agreed with them. I don't think there's much more they could do short of ignoring their highest court.

Extradition isn't just an administrative technicality either.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Grey Fox

You just got student-lawyered.

Next time, don't hold a trial in absentia.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Despite all the  ho-hum about civil rights, you can't really hear loud opposition from inside the country, unless something is directly, clearly affecting people's pockets.

So we have the situation where the only real opposition against the regime is where they are doing the only positive thing about their reign: half-assed attempts at cutting the unbearable running costs of the state.
Funnily enough, these also happen to be the only things where they are willing to let go and do back their shit. Unless it is needed to channel money to the sponsors of the party, of course.

One of these things is education. Their attempts to cut back the number of state-sponsored places in higher education to a maintainable level have been met with much upheaval. It didn't help that their main education man (well, woman) is a lunatic.
Will they reverse course? Not sure. Orban met with youth organizations, and said that the government could properly explain the aim of the reform (true), and that... get this... he is seeing COUNTER-REVOLUTIONARY tendencies in the opposition of the education reform.

Enough communist shit for a week? Ha! Let me give you: the watermelon cartell

Cartells are illegal of course. Except when the government does it.

We grow a shitload of watermelons. About half of it is exported. But we also get a lot of even cheaper imports.
The market was pricing the consumer price of a kilogram of watermleon to about 69 forints.

Then out of the blue steps in the agriculture ministry, announcing that they have
a) stopped the evöl import of watermelons by asking the distributors to not import
b) agreed to have a set minimal price of 99 forints per kilogram for watermelons. When sold to the customer, not when bought from the farmers

this is of course SAVING  TEH FARMERS. They didn't bother explaining, how a 99 forints final price is stopping the middlemen from buying the watermelon from the farmers at the 30-40 forints they usually do, or how it is stopping shops to import 29 forint-worth watermelons from Serbia and Romania.

Not only they are doing price-fixing imbecile communist shit, they are doing it wrong.

It appears that next to be saved is milk production.

Tamas

lol remember that Jobbik Euro-MP who turned out to be jewish on the mother side? (ie. proper jew :P )
A leading Jobbik MP (who managed to make his wife also an MP, and runs the party newspaper called Barricade) now called for his resignation since "it is clear he lied when he said he wasn't aware of his jewish ancestry until late last year".

This is a brilliant incident for Jobbik. I love it.
They had the option to NOT quick him out,and alienate the nazis, ie. 90% of their voters. Or kick him out, like they seem to be doing now, and unveil just how viciously racist they are ("oh, so you have been a major member of our organization, won us an EU seat and ran shit for us, but it turns out your mother was a jew? Get out!")

Of course, like with any group which suddenly finds itself having control over wealth and resources, there have been reports of power struggles (the fall of the jewish one was apparently part of the strugle to control their organization in eastern hungary), so this call for resignation by Elod Novak may be part of his bid for party presidency.

The Brain

Who will parking-lot this horrible place?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on July 24, 2012, 04:03:59 PM
Who will parking-lot this horrible place?

There is just a select group of people who needs to be parking-lotted. The rest are salvagable.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 18, 2012, 09:44:57 AM
You just got student-lawyered.

Next time, don't hold a trial in absentia.

Based on my reading that wasn't the problem, it was that he didn't "flee."

Though it does seem that if the Hungarians had hired a smarter Mick lawyer he would have pointed out that he fled like a motherfucker from the scene of the crime.

Tamas

:lmfao:

what time travel. I saw such stuff in the news archives from the 50s and 60s: the minister of agriculture and other dignities visit the cow who yielded the most milk last year:

http://akadalymentes.kormany.hu/hu/videkfejlesztesi-miniszterium/hirek/a-kormany-mar-oktoberben-megkezdi-a-kulonleges-tejtamogatasok-kifizeteset