And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Tamas on June 13, 2012, 11:12:31 AM
Quote from: Viking on June 13, 2012, 10:45:31 AM
Gypsies kidnapped a baby from a norwegian hospital last week. This is the right thread for this right? The mother was a Gypsie so the response was the label the journalist a racist for peddling in stereotyping of Gypsies. The kid was a Gypsie as well so it didn't matter that it was kidnapped.

sigh...

Screw you dude. ROMAnians have more gypos. Probably Bulgarians as well :P

:lmfao: Rom means "man" in their language, since it comes from the well-know indo-european word "Ram" (see Ramayana). A patriarchal society filled with gypsies just got used with naming themselves "romani" and obtained official recognition for this. We name them "tigani", as some of our latin counterparts.

Now, using your line of thought, all Romanians should be proud that the byzantines called their state "Romania". Or better yet, we should accuse the medieval greeks that they were all gypsies, dressed as civilized people.

Threviel

Quote from: Alexandru H. on June 14, 2012, 02:12:41 AM
Or better yet, we should accuse the medieval greeks that they were all gypsies, dressed as civilized people.

So you claim that they were romanians?

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on June 13, 2012, 11:12:31 AM
Quote from: Viking on June 13, 2012, 10:45:31 AM
Gypsies kidnapped a baby from a norwegian hospital last week. This is the right thread for this right? The mother was a Gypsie so the response was the label the journalist a racist for peddling in stereotyping of Gypsies. The kid was a Gypsie as well so it didn't matter that it was kidnapped.

sigh...

Screw you dude. ROMAnians have more gypos. Probably Bulgarians as well :P

Pre-Trianon Hungary had all the Gyppos. No worry in the HiS game I'll be liberating the Gyppos from their Hungarian Overlords.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Threviel on June 14, 2012, 03:29:53 AM
Or better yet, we should accuse the medieval greeks that they were all gypsies, dressed as civilized people.

No, I'm claiming that the name taken by a certain population means shit when we discuss heritage or ethnical/civilizational ethos. Gypsies call themselves Romani but this has nothing to do with Rome, Romans or Romanians. Likewise we have a Romanian state that has nothing in common with Romania, the medieval entity.

Martinus

Quote from: Alexandru H. on June 14, 2012, 04:04:02 AM
Quote from: Threviel on June 14, 2012, 03:29:53 AM

No, I'm claiming that the name taken by a certain population means shit when we discuss heritage or ethnical/civilizational ethos. Gypsies call themselves Romani but this has nothing to do with Rome, Romans or Romanians. Likewise we have a Romanian state that has nothing in common with Romania, the medieval entity.

If it makes you feel better, in slang Polish, "Rumun" ("a Romanian") means a homeless beggar. There are many racist jokes about Romanians being homeless, dirty, smelly and beggars.

Alexandru H.

Quotebeing homeless, dirty, smelly and beggars

Aren't those the main traits of your potential dates?

HVC

Really? As a pole I don't think you what to start a "what the name for your *nationals mean in my country" arguement lol

* there has to be a more accurate term for that, but it escapes me
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

ulmont

Quote from: HVC on June 14, 2012, 01:48:55 PM
Really? As a pole I don't think you what to start a "what the name for your *nationals mean in my country" arguement lol

* there has to be a more accurate term for that, but it escapes me

Demonym.

garbon

Quote from: Alexandru H. on June 14, 2012, 01:47:45 PM
Quotebeing homeless, dirty, smelly and beggars

Aren't those the main traits of your potential dates?

Marti generally pays for men who are fairly cute.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Alexandru H.

One doesn't rule out the other.

Tamas

I think we will be the first democracy where you can get a year in prison for dissing the Holy Crown.

there is a big modification in works for criminal law, and Jobbik's proposal to raise the Holy Crown among the national symbols (along with the flag and the anthem) which you can't demeaner (sp?) without going to jail.

I am not sure what the current ruling is on that. The whole thing looks silly, if we have freedom of speech, why can't I insult our depressive and overly melodramatic anthem, for example?

But a more practical planned change is increased rights for self-defense. Right now you must keep proportionality in mind, so even if there is a huge-ass guy coming against you with his head-sized fists to plummet you to the ground, you can't grab a club to bludgeon him with it, without risking prison. From mid- next year however, you cannot be punished if the court declares the act to be self-defense, proportionate or not.
This also goes for armed intruders on your property - which I like, since if you are awaken by some thugs going through your stuff, you really have no time to decide if they have knives for cutting bread, or your throat.

Then again, there are no rules of easing the weapon-permit laws, so the practical benefits of these new property-defense laws are rather moot.

Jacob

:lol:

So you decry the slow turn towards Fascism, the corrupt cash grabs, the hollowing out of the rule of law, the obvious attempts to exert control over previously independent institutions, and the blind eye turned towards the excesses of thuggish government aligned cadres and nationalist activists?

But a plan to allow the use of extreme violence to defend yourself is a good development? You don't think it's going to be used to charge the victim of an organized street beating with assault, because the Jobbik aligned thugs were only "defending themselves"?

citizen k

Quote from: Jacob on June 19, 2012, 11:30:37 AMYou don't think it's going to be used to charge the victim of an organized street beating with assault, because the Jobbik aligned thugs were only "defending themselves"?

I'm sure he's not naive, just principled. Wouldn't be the first time that well intentioned laws have bad consequences.

Syt

So, according to ORF, the Simon Wiesenthal Center informed the Hungarian authorities last year that a wanted war criminal (tried and found guilty in Czechoslovakia in 1948) called Csatary lives in Budapest. The Hungarian system drags its feet, so the SWC gets The Sun involved who film and photograph the guy and make a story about him. The Hungarian system keeps stalling, pointing out they're investigating against "unknown" and can't confirm or deny the identity of the guy in the article. Also, the supposed crimes (deportation of 16000 jews in Kosice) happened soooo long ago in a place that's not part of Hungary today.

Csatary is 97 and lives in Budapest under his real name.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/hungary/9404010/Pressure-on-Hungary-to-prosecute-Nazi-war-criminal-Laszlo-Csatary.html

QuoteThe French foreign ministry has joined Nazi hunters and Jewish community groups to call on prosecutors in Hungary to arrest Laszlo Csatary, 97, for his role in organising the deportation of 15,700 Jews to their deaths in Auschwitz.

"We believe that Nazi criminals, wherever they are, must answer for their acts before justice," said a spokesman for the French foreign ministry.

Csatary, who tops the Simon Wiesenthal Centre's most-wanted list of the Nazi war criminals, was last weekend discovered living peacefully in Budapest under his own name.

He had left Canada when he was unmasked by war crimes investigators in 1995.

Csatary fled Europe at the end of the war after being sentenced to death "in absentia" in 1948 by a Czechoslovakian court for crimes committed while he was police chief from 1941 in the Slovakian city of Kosice, then part of Hungary.

While in the town, known as Kassa in Hungarian and Kaschau in German, he was renowned for his brutality, beating women with a whip he carried on his belt and forcing them to dig holes with their bare hands.

During the war, he organised deportations of thousands of Jews to death camps in Nazi occupied Eastern Europe and is accused of complicity in the killing of at least 16,000 people.

Csatary has officially been under investigation by the Hungarian authorities since 11 September 2011 and is locally reported as having been under police surveillance since April.

Sources told The Daily Telegraph that the investigation is taking a long time because the crimes "took place 68 years ago in an area that now falls under the jurisdiction of another country".

But Nazi hunters have expressed frustration at delays.

"This man is healthy and he drives his own car," said Efraim Zuroff, director of the Simon Wiesenthal Centre in Jerusalem.

"Nothing has happened and I am very frustrated. At Csatary's age health can deteriorate from one day to another. We must act quickly. The passage of time does not diminish his guilt and old age should not provide protection for the perpetrators of the Holocaust."

Jewish students protested last night on "Gyori ut", the smart Budapest street where Csatary lives, demanding his immediate arrest.

"We are proud to do our part in bringing the world's attention to this evil man and his horrific crimes," said Andi Gergely, the president of the European Union of Jewish Students.

A Hungarian spokesman yesterday said: "The government has always supported the exhaustive exploration of past crimes and the prosecution of perpetrators."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

regarding the self-protect law: the plan was to allow excess force to defend yourself when alone against multiple attackers, not the other way around :P

Anyways, the government, once again, retreated from the prospect of having non-sheep citizens and did not change the law. So still you have no legal way to defend yourself, unless you happen to be a better hand-to-hand fighter than your attacker(s) AND you manage to beat them in a measured way, in accordance with their intended level of attack. If not, you are in trouble.

For Csatary, I am not sure on the level of official stalling, but I can imagine they do that. He instantly became a martyr of the far-right of course. "poor 97 years old man, let him die in peace!" well, he didnt let those jews alone, did he? As someone pointed out in a blog comment somewhere: funny how the radicals hurry to point out personal rights, and call for peaceful forgettance of sins, whenever it suits them.

However, I am not sure I like to have a big international deal made out of the whole stalling business. I mean, just recently, the Irish high court denied the extradiction of an Irish scumbag who killed two Hungarian children with his car while in the country, and fled back home from the sentence. If EU law is fine with that, they should be fine with whatever shady stalling the Hungarians do as well.