And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Who wants to colonize Hungary?

Razgovory

Nice of them to hold up signs in English.  What's the deal with the ages of the EU, IMF, US and Hungary?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Hungary is more decrepit and senile than the U.S.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jaron

I'm not sure I could consider Hungary an uninterrupted state with a millennial history in clear conscience. I believe it would be more accurate to say Hungary is  94 years old.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Jaron on January 22, 2012, 04:05:44 PM
I'm not sure I could consider Hungary an uninterrupted state with a millennial history in clear conscience. I believe it would be more accurate to say Hungary is  94 years old.

I would at the very least start after the reconquista by the Habsburgs.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

To ease myself on the "government zombies went to the street in considerably greater numbers than the opposition did two weeks ago", here is picture from Budapest, 1st of May celebrations, 1957:

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on January 22, 2012, 10:51:37 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 22, 2012, 03:25:13 PM

The EU.

The EU is really scrapping at the bottom of the barrel, isn't it?

Tamas

Not sure how widespread this is, but due to high taxes we have had these cafeteria bonuses employers can give out. Important to our present story are the meal vouchers. On a limited amount, they come with reduced taxes on them.

Personally, I find the whole concept an abomination - make due with tax levels which does not necessitate these stuff. But anyway.

The present government will, from this year, only give tax bonus on electronic "voucher" cards, not the paper-based ones which have been widespread. Nice? Not quite so, first of all because the main bonus comes from implementing a state-licensed voucher card. Plus, read on.

-There has been only one such card-based system in the country, used by OTP, the biggest Hungarian bank. It's owner is one of the closest allies of Orban, one of the two well-known "oligarch" backers of him (beside MOL, our oil company). So they gave a very nice jumpstart in this newly created market for the pals

-where else do their friends have significant business interest? Hungarian supermarket/shop chains. So, the state agency responsible for integrating applicant businesses into the card-system refuses to negotiate with foreign shop chains, and the small local business can only get the green light for it if they join through a Hungarian chain's infrastructure, ie. succumbing to it.

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on January 23, 2012, 09:34:28 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 22, 2012, 10:51:37 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 22, 2012, 03:25:13 PM

The EU.

The EU is really scrapping at the bottom of the barrel, isn't it?

Germany needs a buffer zone between it and the Soviet Union.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Larch

Hey Tamas, why did you keep this from us?  :lol:

http://esbalogh.typepad.com/hungarianspectrum/2011/11/horror-fourteen-pictures-to-accompany-the-new-hungarian-basic-laws.html

QuoteHorror: Fourteen pictures to accompany the new Hungarian Basic Laws

The Orbán government's first dabbling in art ended in ridicule. That was during the first "reign" of Viktor Orbán. His much admired "historian," István Nemeskürty, apparently ordered a very large canvas depicting the members of the Orbán-Torgyán government together with important symbols of that period. At the end the government refused to pay for it. One ought to take a second look at this "masterpiece" to appreciate the second attempt of Viktor Orbán and his friends to make themselves immortal.

Well, one laughing stock wasn't enough. Ten years later, the second Orbán government ordered fifteen new "masterpieces" to the tune of 1.6 million forints apiece to illustrate the history of Hungary between 1867, the date of the Compromise, and today. At present they are being kept in the National Széchenyi Library protected by armed guards. I don't think that anyone would like to steal them. Maybe the government is afraid of defacement.

Tamas

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on February 07, 2012, 01:34:06 PM
I thought I posted it :P

We would have remembered something as corny and eye-bleeding as that.  :lol: A couple of them are legitimate, but others are...well...how to say it...

Iormlund

I love the first one. It even has one of my favorite memes, the facepalm.

Tamas

Quote from: Iormlund on February 07, 2012, 05:35:16 PM
I love the first one. It even has one of my favorite memes, the facepalm.

The whole thing just oozes the style, rethoric, and talent of the current regime.