Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2012, 08:04:02 AM
Guess the EU Commission has lawyers who think like me and not Sheilbh:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16593827

Clever ones. Single out 3 secondary issues (well except for the central bank thing) which are easily corrected by the government without giving up it's ground of total control back home.
Win-win situation: EU can claim they are strong and care, without forcing a real conflict with Orban.

Martinus

I think this is more to do with the fact that these are the issues the EU has a legal standing to challenge. What would be the primary issues by the way?

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2012, 08:13:22 AM
I think this is more to do with the fact that these are the issues the EU has a legal standing to challenge. What would be the primary issues by the way?

Well I know it's not easy, indeed the probable prime concerns are out of the EU's reach (which is kinda silly but there you go).

My main concerns are stuff like their new budget council, appointed for 9 years and being able to veto the budget made by the government, the ridicoulous new voting districts, the extreme speed-up of the parlaimentary process which are practically near to ruling by decree.
All these stuff which by their own appear as small mockeries of democracy, but put together look ugly and very dangerous.

Tamas

The next big national holiday, and as all big national holiday, a traditional date to demonstrate your frustration with the government, is 15th of March, when a huge-ass demonstration in 1848 coerced the Habsburgs into acceptin a surprisingly modern "constitution" for Hungary (to be revoked in a few months).
This was a regular date for taking opposition people into custody by the police, even in the late 1980s.

FIDESZ appears to be secure in, well, securing the day. Apparently the government has reserved all the squares, streets, and spots in Budapest which matter and where people could gather, so the police would have to decline each and every opposition demonstrations.

I just hope the people will go anyway. Heck, if they fail to deal with the IMF by then, I will go myself.

Tamas

There is still no  progress on the matter of the city council of Budapest reserving each and every spot in the city for the national holiday in March.

The "Milla" organization, growing out of a facebook group called "one million for free press" (well, they never got even near to that number) is the one pushing this thing. Allegedly, the city council told newspapers that they want to come to a compromise with Milla, but they in turn say they haven't been approached yet.

But in the meantime, they decided to troll the city council and the government back, and filed a reservation request of  their traditional place for demonstration with the police, for the next 100 years.  :D

Tamas

Quote from: Tamas on January 20, 2012, 03:18:57 AM
There is still no  progress on the matter of the city council of Budapest reserving each and every spot in the city for the national holiday in March.

The "Milla" organization, growing out of a facebook group called "one million for free press" (well, they never got even near to that number) is the one pushing this thing. Allegedly, the city council told newspapers that they want to come to a compromise with Milla, but they in turn say they haven't been approached yet.

But in the meantime, they decided to troll the city council and the government back, and filed a reservation request of  their traditional place for demonstration with the police, for the next 100 years.  :D

Actually, they did that because the council and the government made the reservations until the next elections, 2014.

There is a map made showing the reservations which wouldnt tell much to you, but the point is that any possible demonstration place at the center of the city, and the less user friendly but traditional (bridge heads mostly) ones have been reserved.

In the meantime, tomorrow a pro-government gathering will take place, including organized groups of Hungarians from accross the border coming to show support. That will bode well with the locals, having people who are not living here tell us what we should think.

Martinus

Wait, let me get this straight, the government exploited the system and effectively prevented any public gathering from taking place in Budapest until 2014? Wow. You guys are sliding to a third world tyranny pretty fast.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on January 20, 2012, 09:12:16 AM
Wait, let me get this straight, the government exploited the system and effectively prevented any public gathering from taking place in Budapest until 2014? Wow. You guys are sliding to a third world tyranny pretty fast.

Yes, at least on the two most prominent national holidays, which have been the traditional times to show unrest (FIDESZ used to hold massive gatherings on these dates while in opposition)

Tamas

A big (could be up to a 100k people) pro-government demonstration is underway right now.

Just in case the world might think we don't like the system Orban is building.

Tamas

I wonder what effect his demonstration will have. I am pretty sure it's chief aim was to hold a test before the 15th of March, see if Orban should try and organize a party gathering of his own.

But, what this comparatively massive (much more people came to support him, then to denounce the new constitution) gathering will mean to him? Will he think that laying down to the EU and the IMF is not necessary at all costs then? That if he still have total mob supremacy even after the things he have done and popularity lost, he can survive a bankrupcy?

Ideologue

Tam, I haven't really followed the developments in the Nepkoztarsasag.  Could you please provide an executive summary of what sucks?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

AnchorClanker

Dig up Horthy and clone him.  You can't go wrong.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Tamas

Quote from: Ideologue on January 21, 2012, 03:15:08 PM
Tam, I haven't really followed the developments in the Nepkoztarsasag.  Could you please provide an executive summary of what sucks?

Martinus

Marches with torches? How retro.  :rolleyes:

Ideologue

So they hold up paintings?  I expected something more malevolent, like wearing a Gypsy's face as a Hallowe'en mask or stoning a non-Catholic for witchery.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)