News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Moody's has downgraded Hungary to junk.

Beside them being quite late, as I did that around 3 years ago, our government was not slow to again make a fool out of itself itnernationally, expressing "confusion" since "the economy has been performing great" and thus they can only "regard the downgrade as part of the speculative attacks against Hungary".

And that comes from yesterday, when the Finance Ministry announced they would handle the dismal state of our currency as a matter of national security, intend to "Investigate" who or what is responsible for "the selling".

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on November 25, 2011, 06:14:42 AMBeside them being quite late, as I did that around 3 years ago, our government was not slow to again make a fool out of itself itnernationally, expressing "confusion" since "the economy has been performing great" and thus they can only "regard the downgrade as part of the speculative attacks against Hungary".
...Wow :console: :(
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Where do I sign up for the attack on Hungary?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Damn you Fahdiz!  Why did you do this to Hungary?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Hungary's self-destruction was earned by their behavior towards the overlordship of the Austrians.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on November 25, 2011, 08:53:28 AM
Hungary's self-destruction was earned by their behavior towards the overlordship of the Austrians.

I thought the Hungarians were pro-Empire for the most part.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on November 25, 2011, 09:16:48 AM

for the last 50 years part, yes. The 500 before that? Not so much.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on November 25, 2011, 09:16:48 AM
They were pro-Kingdom of Hungary, which is a little different.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

The Austrian thing is kinda complicated.  I think you guys could forgive me for not fully understanding it.

Syt

I heartily recommend people watch "Radetzky March" (the b/w movie, not the newer one) if you want to watch the true swan song of the Habsburg empire.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Great. Again, the paprika-devouring, antisemitic, racist, homophobic, goat-fucking racist fucks cause turmoil in the area and zloty to plummet.

Fuck you, you tards. Get out of the EU.

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on November 25, 2011, 12:51:35 PM
Great. Again, the paprika-devouring, antisemitic, racist, homophobic, goat-fucking racist fucks...

What's wrong with paprika?

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on November 25, 2011, 12:51:35 PM
Great. Again, the paprika-devouring, antisemitic, racist, homophobic, goat-fucking racist fucks cause turmoil in the area and zloty to plummet.

Fuck you, you tards. Get out of the EU.

:rolleyes: I have been thinking that Poland has been too good to be true. I wonder if there will be skeletons falling out of the closet soon. But for sure, Poland is far from being as fucked up as Hungary is.

Tamas

The PM, to showcase his concern and love no doubt, called a meeting with economists friendly to him, which was held this afternoon.

The Finance Minister held a press conference to brief the press on it. His main points were:
-A new "growth plan" is needed, as well as cooperation with the IM and the EU
-GDP growth forecast to next year must be lowered to 0.5-1%

He choosed to ignore the trivial topic of Moody's downgrade, but of course he was asked about it.
He replied that the experts agreed that the "fundamentals are strong" and "something was behind this downgrade" and "there are maneuvers against the country".
Which is of course -in his opinion- completely unfair since the government has kept, and will keep, the country among the best.
On a repeated question he confirmed: "we are well above average"

The "new growth plan" was mentioned as a new idea here, altough this was a rhetoric of the PM in London, two weeks ago. The grand plan is that this new plan shall keep us ahead of the EU average in terms of growth. I guess we will resurrect Stanahov's spirit or something.

He also calls for a "new alliance" between the government and the banks in the country. I wonder what that means. They have been screwing the banks over left and right, to the extent that the people I talk to are starting to be reluctant and wary of keeping their savings in banks.

And they still keep to the story that they are negotiating with the IMF for a loan they will never ever actually take. They just want a "safety net" and "will be able to finance the country from the market". Said market traded the hungarian bonds on 9-10% this morning.