Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Monoriu on June 23, 2021, 04:58:59 AM
Quote from: Threviel on June 23, 2021, 04:49:54 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 23, 2021, 04:29:40 AM
What Hungary wants to do is Hungary's business.

How many social points is that comment worth?

None  :P

I mean, the idea that sovereign states should not interfere in other sovereign states' business probably originated in the Peace of Westphalia, not me.

They are not interfering they are reacting. You act like a jerk you'll be treated like a jerk

Josquius

Reading about this law and the opposition reaction...
Surprised to see Jobbik are apparently a normal moderate party now? I remember that name from when they were the far right nutters of concern.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Austria  :mad:

(a government member called the law "worrying" yesterday, and the chancellor condemned the law *checks calendar* this morning and supports the letter now)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on June 23, 2021, 05:31:32 AM
Reading about this law and the opposition reaction...
Surprised to see Jobbik are apparently a normal moderate party now? I remember that name from when they were the far right nutters of concern.

Well, I mean they still voted with the government on this one.

But basically yes. With the "migration crisis" from 2015 Fidesz pivoted sharply to the far right, occupying all the space Jobbik used to. So their leadership decided to flow closer to the now-empty middle. WIth little success, mind.

It didn't go well with the principled nazis of their party who ended up seceding and creating a Fidesz-satellite "radical" called Mi Hazank (Our Home/Nation).

Jobbik's current leader seems to be a fairly charismatic young guy who has been fairly successful in navigating the needs to do the sort of populist modern politics which can still reach people despite the overwhelming government control of media (schenanigans in Parliament, simple slogans, being in the forefront during protests etc) while appearing a moderate. But it seems protecting gay rights was a step too far and their party didn't dare risk it. 

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Greece has joined too.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on June 23, 2021, 08:10:10 AM
Greece has joined too.

That wasn't included in the update on Austrian reddit. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on June 23, 2021, 04:58:59 AM
Quote from: Threviel on June 23, 2021, 04:49:54 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 23, 2021, 04:29:40 AM
What Hungary wants to do is Hungary's business.

How many social points is that comment worth?

None  :P

I mean, the idea that sovereign states should not interfere in other sovereign states' business probably originated in the Peace of Westphalia, not me. 

Ok but Hungary gets extensive financial support and military protection from other states in the name of our shared values. If they do not share those values it is only fair they do not get those benefits. Nobody forced them to enter into agreements based on shared domestic values.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on June 23, 2021, 08:11:51 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 23, 2021, 08:10:10 AM
Greece has joined too.

That wasn't included in the update on Austrian reddit. :P

My initial reaction was "hey that map looks familiar..." then I noticed Greece and Austria as the odd ones out.

So it is literally the cold war borders now except Cyprus traded for the baltics?
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

So, the Hungarian government has taken a full page ad today in Spain's more traditional right wing newspaper outlining their proposals for the future of the EU.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on June 26, 2021, 10:00:01 AM
So, the Hungarian government has taken a full page ad today in Spain's more traditional right wing newspaper outlining their proposals for the future of the EU.

They apparently did (or tried to do) this in multiple countries.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on June 26, 2021, 10:15:30 AM
Quote from: The Larch on June 26, 2021, 10:00:01 AM

They apparently did (or tried to do) this in multiple countries.

I was wondering in how many other countries they've tried to pull this.

Syt

On reddit someone posted the Danish version, and someone else commented that a Belgian paper refused to print it and instead made an article about it.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

I think it's far better and good that it's an advert on behalf of the government of Hungary rather than buying sponsored content in newspapers (as China has done in the past) or sort of buying a think-tanker to do an opinion piece. At least it is clearly where this is coming from.

Though also obviously fine for a paper to refuse any advert they're not comfortable with and refuse the cash (although I think they may be exposed to charges of hypocrisy depending on their general advertising strategy). And it's definitely a story if they tried.

It'd be interesting to see which papers in each country they think is either sympathetic to them or has a readership sympathetic to them :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

I'll be optimistic and read this as the European uproar over the anti-gay law catching them off guard and scrambling to re-establish the European rapport Orban has been told by his minions that he enjoys.
Hopefully it's that and not the start of a ramping up of anti-EU sentiment in preparation to next year's elections.