News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Junior does fit the role a little better than pops.

Jacob

How so?

(I know nothing about him)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2023, 09:32:11 PMHow so?

Neither do I he.  He looks more like an evil world controlling Jewish financier.

Syt

I love how at first glance it looks similar to FPÖ ads in design.

Oh, and in polls FPÖ is scoring 30% at the moment, and if people could elect chancellor directly, Herbert Kickl would win. :bleeding:

https://www.politico.eu/article/hungaria-austria-herbert-kickl-watch-out-ukraine-here-comes-the-hungaro-austrian-empire/

(I hope next year's elections will bring the shittiness of FPÖ into sharper focus and see a broad "anyone but them" turnout, but it's Austria, so ....  :( )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2023, 09:34:55 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2023, 09:32:11 PMHow so?

Neither do I he.  He looks more like an evil world controlling Jewish financier.

Hardly:

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on November 19, 2023, 06:44:44 PMAre they as funny in Hungarian as in English?
Some of them... That child protection one...

In the sense of how much leading "questions" they are, sure. With these "polls", it should be insulting to people to face and read just how stupid Fidesz considers them.

Tamas

If you can deal with relying on (not auto-generated) subtitles over Hungarian audio, there's a long summary on how  the Orban regime dealt with challengers/barriers to Orban's march to autocracy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ego4aQLZKlQ

Jacob

Is Russia considered "abroad"?

What about EU funding?

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on November 21, 2023, 06:50:18 PMIs Russia considered "abroad"?

What about EU funding?

I guess its one of those laws that is a huge and terrible treasonous scandal when the other side do it but when the proper good honest Hungarians do it that's completely different and not worthy of note?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on November 22, 2023, 04:48:53 AM
Quote from: Jacob on November 21, 2023, 06:50:18 PMIs Russia considered "abroad"?

What about EU funding?

I guess its one of those laws that is a huge and terrible treasonous scandal when the other side do it but when the proper good honest Hungarians do it that's completely different and not worthy of note?

Indeed. Although to be fair at this point it is trivial for them to channel insane amounts of money through various human wallets they have to make it look all patriotic.

Sometimes with bills like this they submit a harsher initial version than what they consider the minimum viable product, that way the outrage dies down and people are relieved when the actual law is less terrible (of course the final version would still have triggered outrage if introduced first), I guess we'll see if that's the case here.

Another interesting question though if this bill signals Orban giving up on getting his EU funds. Ever since 2011's media law the only thing slowing him down was EU backlash (or rather: "backlash"). He might have given up on caring, or wants to switch purely to coercion e.g. he keeps delaying the vote on Sweden's NATO membership.

Tamas

You can count on Orban to be disgusting in any situation.

The Israeli national team was playing Switzerland in his village backyard (no, really, there's a beautiful stadium there), so his people posted this online: "Hungary, the island of peace"

Tamas

Meanwhile, the controversial posters with UVL and Young Jewish Villain Alex Soros are being corrected and plastered over.

They go from this:

i.e. they make Soros' hand and pointing finger disappear.

Best explanation I have read is that because of his open mouth and pointing finger it seems like he is the one warning the Hungarian nation of UVL's evilness, which of course is an unacceptable interpretation, the Chief Jew must be seen as evil.

Josquius

I've just realised how great a Star Trek episode an Orban analogue coming to rule a Federation planet would be.
The whole dilemma about what happens when someone drops beneath the standards, the lack of an ability to kick planets out, etc...
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Yeah it's something the UK seem to had faced in a much more minor way with Boris Johnson. As The Economist pointed it out at the time, much of the British political system depends on everyone keeping to a gentlemen's agreement of not messing it up, same way the EU works, really. So when somebody comes around who could not care less about what is expected of them, the system can be exploited.