News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

It must be easy being Orban and having absolutely no concern with keeping consistent with yourself. Hungary votes with Israel and the US in the UN then happily proceeds to join the Turk Council in da ding immediate ceasefire in Gaza.

Admiral Yi

I thought the cannon maker's name was Urban. :nerd:

PJL

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2023, 04:55:13 PMI thought the cannon maker's name was Urban. :nerd:

That's an Urban legend...  :lol:

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2023, 04:55:13 PMI thought the cannon maker's name was Urban. :nerd:

Ah yes I believe you are right.

Solmyr

Aren't those basically the same name?

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on November 05, 2023, 02:27:35 AMAren't those basically the same name?

I don't know original meaning-wise but definitely pronounced differently.

Syt

What do popes have to do with this? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

Quote from: Tamas on November 05, 2023, 04:13:59 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on November 05, 2023, 02:27:35 AMAren't those basically the same name?

Here at least his name is spelled both ways: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orban (strangely, no Hungarian-language wiki page for him).

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Solmyr on November 05, 2023, 03:51:54 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 05, 2023, 04:13:59 AM

Here at least his name is spelled both ways: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orban (strangely, no Hungarian-language wiki page for him).

Just a mere coincidence, come on.  :P
Spelling variant, voilà!

Tamas

The government is getting close to introduce the "Sovereignty Protection" bill, which will further curtail access to foreign funds by private media outlets and NGOs. I haven't found details on it yet but it's been built up in propaganda since September so it may be a big Russia-type deal.

It fits very well into the now long-running theme of Orban absolutely not tolerating any source of funds in the country that does not originate personally from him. Years ago the country declined to accept substantial annual grants from Norway because a fraction of it was to go directly to NGOs instead of being channeled through Hungarian decision-makers on where to spend it.

But also some people speculate this bill is in preparation to an EU bill concerning the EU-wide standardisation of public media rules which is apparently slowly making its way through the legislative process.

Also, in equally ridiculous, sad, an dangerous culture war news (I am actually reluctant to use culture war as an expression because there's no conviction on this on Orban's side, just cynical populism), due to all the anti-gay legislation the last few years, there was a photo exhibition in the National Gallery showing LMBTQ couples which got into the news, since first it got attacked by Orban's far-right vassal party Mi Hazank, after which the museum made it a 18+ exhibition, which in turn made it explode in popularity.

Now having learned the lesson, another museum which has been displaying a set of photos from the 60s by a Brazilian photographer showing Brazilian gay men has been made 18+ only.

What a sad place my old country has become.

celedhring

Pretty sure you can't bar EU investors from holding a stake in a private media company as it goes against the Single Market. Spain had a similar regulation that had to be ammended many years ago and now only applies to non-EU investors.

Syt

Apparently the government has been sending this "questionnaire" to the population (source: Reddit, someone translated the contents to English).

Is this accurate, Tamas? Because this is ... well, not subtle.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Yes I've been mentioning these over the last few years, this is like 5th time they are doing this on various topics.

Tamas

Even before Soros is dead he is being replaced by his son as the Big Bad Jew international financier:

Josquius

Are they as funny in Hungarian as in English?
Some of them... That child protection one...
██████
██████
██████